TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Friends and Family (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/)
-   -   Triggering: Weight Loss and Parents finding out (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f18-friends-family/t141670-weight-loss-parents-finding-out/)

slowly_fading November 10th 2015 02:12 AM

Weight Loss and Parents finding out

Break for college is coming up. I am losing weight and do not want my parents to know. I'm 19 years old, I can choose how to live my life! How do i go about this so that they cant tell?

iambatman November 10th 2015 02:16 AM

Re: Weight Loss and Parents finding out

You could wear non-tight fitting shirts...Like hoodies...That's what I wear and my mom hasn't noticed yet...

Kindred November 10th 2015 07:07 PM

Hi!

If you don't mind me asking, why are you trying to hide weight loss from your parents? In any case I'm sure your parents are just concerned about you, but you are legally an adult, so yes you are entitled to make lifestyle choices for yourself.

I am concerned however that you put this in the eating disorder forum. That implies to me you're looking to hide unhealthy weight loss, and if I'm completely wrong I apologise and I'm sure you can understand my confusion! We're a recovery based website, and we can advise you on how to talk to your parents, healthy lifestyle choices and recovery. We can't and won't help you in self destructive behaviors, for example hiding an eating disorder or unhealthy weight loss from people. Like I mentioned before there could be perfectly valid reasons behind you not wanting them to know you're losing weight, but the forum you chose to put this in rings alarm bells, and I really think you need to consider why you want to hide this from your parents. Eating disorders can be sneaky things, and they often can make you feel like everyone is against you. Don't fall into that trap.

Just something to think about :)

Always * November 12th 2015 04:26 PM

I wondered the same as Laura: why are you trying to hide your weight loss? If you've lost enough that people like your parents would be concerned about you, then they have that right to be concerned. That said, like Laura said, you are an adult, and you do have the right to make lifestyle choices.

Again, like Laura, I am also feeling concerned that you are asking for advice about hiding weight loss in an eating disorder forum. Maybe you just didn't know where else to put it, I don't know. If you have lost an unhealthy amount of weight due to an eating disorder, just know that I want you to be able to be healthy. It's just that wanting to hide things is a very disordered behaviour in my experience; I used to hide food and didn't want to be seen eating in public, for example. I really do hope you're ok, but like Laura said, we're here to help with recovery if you need it.

xxpaigiexx November 12th 2015 05:37 PM

Hey there,

I was thinking the same as the others, why are you trying to hide your weight loss? There's absolutely nothing wrong with losing weight as long as it is in a healthy way and done by maintaining a good diet and exercise. Are you trying to lose weight in a healthy way, or have you been losing weight in other ways. I think if you are trying to hide your weight loss then maybe you should consider that maybe you have lost more than a healthy amount of weight.

I wish you the best of luck,
Paige