TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Depression and Suicide (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/)
-   -   Weight + depression. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f11-depression-suicide/t142317-weight-depression/)

MoleyColey December 5th 2015 12:55 AM

Weight + depression.

So I'm 19 and have been overweight since I can remember. A few months ago I went to the doctors about my mental health situation, all that's happened is I've been put onto happy pills and my dose changes everytime I vist my doctor. My weight is my biggest problem, I've tried to loose weight and never has any success. I recently noticed deep purple stretch marks on my stomach. I'm so disgusted with my self, I feel ashamed and disappointed. I dont know what to do to.. Someone please hand me advise, weight is all I can think about but I can think about but I can never seem to lose any.. Please anyone this is my last resort. Thanks

Its.Just.Angie December 5th 2015 01:40 PM

Re: Weight + depression.

Hey there,

I am also overweight and been for most of my life. So I understand. Since it is your biggest issue, I highly recommend telling your doctor about it, because they can help you!

DeletedAccount11 December 6th 2015 07:00 AM

Hey, Hannah.

Thank you for reaching out here. I'm sorry you struggle with this. I understand how being overweight would cause you to feel low about yourself, but I just want you to know that regardless of your weight, it doesn't make you any less of a person.

Have you spoken to a dietitian? A dietitian can give you a meal plan on what foods to eat and how much to be able to lose weight in a healthy way. Losing weight is your choice and you should be able to make that choice if you wish to, but it is extremely important to do it in a healthy way by eating the right foods and exercising. Experiment with different foods and exercise that your doctor gives you the "okay" for, to make sure you're not depriving your body of any necessities.

No matter what your weight is, you are still the same person with all your wonderful personality traits and your heart. That's what matters the most, and people who see otherwise aren't worth your time. I completely understand how your weight would impact your self esteem and be a big contributing factor in your depression, but I do hope that one day you'll feel happy in your skin regardless of your weight because you are happy about who you are as a person. I believe you can achieve that, Hannah.

Losing weight is good as long as you are being kind to yourself, you know? As long as you are happy and healthy. Stay safe and hang in there.

Green Yoshi December 6th 2015 08:23 AM

Hello :hug:

I think that weight doesn't determine what a person's true worth is, and i'm pretty sure you're a nice, sweet person. But what i do know is that being happy with yourself, and eating healthily is definitely going to help you experience happier times. Just ignore what other people say, and remember that you don't deserve to beat yourself up.

I suggest that you try sports like swimming, jogging and perhaps basketball or football . These will help you to gain more confidence in yourself as well as achieve a more healthy lifestyle. These would also give you something else to think (it's fun to achieve new milestones in sports or to execute that cool new move that will be fun ) and also give you an outlet to express yourself :hug: All these will help.

But what i want to tell you is that , as you are, you're awesome and you're already perfect. There's no reason to beat yourself up.. because there's no reason to criticize someone who's already perfect :hug:

I know that you can beat this :) In case you want to rant out to anyone to anything or any daily problems, i'll always be free to listen. :) :hug: Pm me anytime!!

Pein December 7th 2015 01:11 AM

What Ellie and Green Yoshi touched on. You are a valuable person. And no matter what you think about yourself you are of value and are worth it.

But to answer your question, Id suggest what Ellie said to do and talk to a dietitian if you can afford it.

But if you can't afford that the internet and what we are told growing up is some good advice. eat plenty of veggies, good quality proteins, and good grains. all in moderation. And find out what your calorie maintenance is its simple, just google BMR and plug in a few numbers and it will tell you how many calories you need to eat to keep your body alive as it is now.

And once you figure out that number just reduce it a couple hundred calories. Start it slow. Don't go drastic. trust me you and your body will hate it and you won't want to try again. And along side of the whole eating right and eating in a slight calorie deficit start a simple workout routine. it can be just as much as walking for 20 minutes a day. 20 minutes of cardio is what is recommended per day for physical activity.

And if you do that for a month or two and starting to see results talk to a personal trainer and join a gym and start trying resistance training. Resistance training is good all around. it will help get you to your goals a bit more quickly, and its good for your body/bones.

And if you'd like more advice Im training towards getting my personal training cert so id gladly give out advice to you. just send me a VM/PM