TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Purging Question. - January 29th 2016, 03:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey, hopefully someone knows what I mean ha
So I was eating dinner with my family. And all of the suddenly I had to run to the bathroom because I was going to throw up. I just can't keep anything down... I don't think I'm sick.. But who knows I might. So is this related to purging or am I just over thinking it? Ha Hopefully someone can help

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. ~Oscar Wilde.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Purging Question. - January 29th 2016, 12:52 PM

Your stomach can contract and reject food on its own, it's not necessarily purging. I would keep an eye on it, though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Purging Question. - January 29th 2016, 07:33 PM

Thanks It's been happening a lot.. So that kinda worries me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Purging Question. - January 29th 2016, 07:44 PM

If it has been happening a lot lately, and you aren't inducing it, I suggest going to a doctor.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: Purging Question. - January 31st 2016, 11:44 PM

I agree with Bex, that you should definitely go see a doctor about it. There can be numerous reasons for this and some of them can get pretty ugly if not treated right.

Also, if you throw up a lot, you should make sure to drink a lot or your body might dehydrate. Also you should look into foods that give you a lot of nuitrens. There were some that you loose when throwing up, though I can't remember which one and in what kind of food they were included.

But to come back to your question about purging... well, I think I remember a post where you talked about restricting and it can definitely be a side effect of that.
If you restrict food for some time your body will get used to it and if you then eat a lot or something that's hard to digest your body might refuse it which will result in throwing up.
I used to restrict and as a result I can't eat food with lots of fat in it or raw vegetables. i eat them and imediately feel sick from it.
So this might also be a possible reason, but the saftes action is to go to a doctor about this because again, it can be really dangerous!

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Purging Question. - February 2nd 2016, 03:57 AM

Thanks! I agree.. I feel it's from purging and restricting.. I have not been throwing up recently. However, I have with force a few times.. But I'll get through that.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Purging Question. - February 2nd 2016, 11:19 PM

Purging is when you self induce vomiting. If you're not making yourself vomiting, it isn't purging. Have you been purging a lot lately and then are having these episodes?

If not, you're probably sick with a bug or something physical, and may need to see a doctor! Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Purging Question. - February 5th 2016, 04:43 AM

Yes. I was purging a lot. Then stopped for a few days. And then I kept throwing up. Now I'm back to purging. So its probably because of that. Thanks

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Purging Question. - February 9th 2016, 04:05 AM

I haven't had this issue when I was purging a lot but I would get stomach acid and some other buildup that would make me feel like I was going to throw up. I think that when you are purging a lot it messes with your body and things like this can happen. I would honestly advise that you talk to a doctor about this to make sure that everything is okay. Purging is really hard on the system and it can cause potassium and vitamin deficiencies. A doctor could, at the very least, check and make sure your levels are okay. I am not sure what they would advise for the throwing up but they might have some suggestions besides the standard 'stop purging' although that would be the best thing you could do. But, I realize that isn't easy.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Purging Question. - February 18th 2016, 05:43 AM

It may be a behavior you've trained yourself to do. I know that for me, certain triggers will make me gag easier because I associate it for when I make myself purge. It has little to do with an actual gag reflex (my gag reflex is nearly non-existent) but I would associate toothbrushes or fingers in my mouth to mean I was trying to throw up. It used to bother me a lot more, so it's something that can be eased with time if you continue cutting back on purging and finding other coping strategies.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread