TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Blushies

Question What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 03:05 AM

Okay I don't know if I can understand this..

I don't like eating and I hate when I have to eat.. and I feel fat...
I'm not though! I only weigh edited pounds! and I just hate eating but I hate when my tummy is empty.. but I just HATE eating.. is that an eating distorter

A heart without dreams is like a bird without feathers

Last edited by Melancholia.; May 11th 2016 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Please do not include weight numbers. :)
  Send a message via Skype™ to LittleLight 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 03:45 AM

Hello.

An eating disorder (not 'distorter') is a mental health condition characterised by abnormal eating habits. Those with an eating disorder have what are considered unhealthy attitudes towards food and the act of eating, and are often preoccupied with their weight and/or physical appearance.

There are several types of eating disorder.

Unfortunately we are not qualified to diagnose you. I don't believe it's healthy for us to even speculate about what you might or might not have because having a label assigned to you at this stage doesn't always help.

If you are truly worried that you may have an eating disorder, you need to go and see your doctor.

I assume that you have heard of eating disorders through social media or similar. They do get quite a bit of coverage in the news and suchlike, as many models and celebrities have them. Some people make the mistake of thinking that eating disorders are fashionable, which totally undermines the suffering of those affected. The truth is that they are not good and you should avoid developing one as much as you can. What I'm saying is, if you feel like you might go down that path, stop yourself now. Because once you get started, it only gets worse for you.

Eating is a normal part of life and is essential in order to function, i.e. live. Your body needs food and you are supposed to eat. It's not a sin and you don't need to feel bad about it. By eating, you are giving your body the fuel it needs to perform it's many complex tasks.

Unfortunately, thanks to social media, we are bombarded with images of beautiful people, many of whom also happen to be thin. But thin does not equal healthy. And healthy is what you should focus on. Find out what the healthy weight range for you is and aim for that (you can either use an online BMI calculator to do this, or visit your doctor).

Has something happened to make you feel like you are fat, and cause you to hate eating? Did someone say something to you about your weight or your eating habits? Or has there been a difficult time in your life recently?

I hope that you can figure out what has caused you to feel like this and address it, before things get out of hand.

Be kind to yourself.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 04:47 AM

It start after my emotionally abusive boyfriend left me in November because I was to stressed to focus on eating and then started to get better! then it started to get worse and it's like sometimes I'll eat and then sometime I find myself not eating more then a snack of something
and no it's not because of social media or celebrity's I just personally feel a lot fatter then I really am and yea thanks! sadly I can't see a doctor because my family will yell at me but when I'm older I will defiantly get checked out thank you so much for being so kind~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 05:38 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you don't think your family would be supportive if you told them about this.

Is there anyone else you can go to?

I think that even if you don't see a doctor about your eating, it's important to talk to someone about your relationship and how it affected you. Abusive relationships are really tough and I've learned that it's important to tell someone what happened and how it made you feel. Once you've discussed that, you might find that your attitude towards food becomes healthier again.

How would you feel about talking to a counsellor? There's probably one attached to your school.

If you don't feel able to open up to someone just yet, then perhaps consider writing it all down instead? A private journal or something similar. I just know that if you keep your thoughts bottled up, they can manifest (show themselves) in various ways, such as developing issues with food.

Unfortunately, when we have a partner who doesn't treat us well, it can cause us to become very negative and critical of ourselves. This can continue even after the relationship has ended. But you did and you do deserve better. Now that the relationship is over, your ex doesn't have the right to continue having an effect on your life.

You can totally take control of this.

Be kind to yourself.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 06:09 AM

It's been 6 months and I'm still very troubled about it and I've told a lot of people but I'm super troubled
and I home schooled so I can't do that and I've tried writing and it didn't work

(#6 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 09:02 AM

When I say that it's important to talk to someone, I mean it's important to talk to someone who can actually help you. Most people, such as friends, will have sympathy. They will tell you that they are sorry to hear of what you went through and how awful it must have been. But they don't have the skills to help you.

A counsellor does. They have been trained in helping people to work through their problems. You don't just talk, you undergo a form of therapy. That is the crucial point.

I realise that you don't want to tell your parent(s) that you are having problems, but I think they should know so that they can consider finding you a counsellor in the community.

I do understand how difficult it is, really. For a while, my Mum didn't see why I needed a counsellor. She thought that if there was something bothering me, I should be able to tell her. But just as friends don't have the right skills to be able to help, neither do parents. I know that's something my Mum struggled to come to terms with. She wanted to help me herself, not pay a stranger to do that. However, there are some things that need to be done by people outside of the family.

You are home-schooled, which indicates that your parent(s) really care and want the best for you. If you told them what you have told me - that sharing your feelings with regular people and writing them down doesn't help - would they not want to find something that will?

I won't push you on this; it's entirely up to you whether you address this problem or not. But all the while you are still upset about what happened (even if you manage to hide it), you are not going to find peace and your anxiety regarding food may worsen.

You can PM me if you want to chat. I'm no counsellor but I've been in horrid relationships and understand how they can make you feel.

Be kind to yourself.

Last edited by JazzyJazz; May 11th 2016 at 09:26 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 11th 2016, 05:58 PM

Thanks a lot I'm going to look into therapy when I'm older and that's all I can do I'll get support from people until then thanks a lot~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 12th 2016, 03:21 AM

Jazzyjazz! I think I'm going to start weaning off of meat and hope it will help! (Plus I just don't like meat SOOO) thanks for all the help~!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 12th 2016, 06:32 AM

No worries, I'm here because I want to help.

What will not eating meat help with?

Be kind to yourself.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
LittleLight Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 12th 2016, 04:42 PM

I hate meat so hopeful it will make me eat more stuff I like so I'll want to eat more I ate 3 meals yesterday ^~^ so it's making me happy at least

(#11 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is an eating distorter? - May 12th 2016, 10:59 PM

That's great. A lot of people choose not to eat meat. I'm really pleased that you ate 3 meals.

Be kind to yourself.

Closed Thread