TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Psychiatric meds in residential? - May 25th 2016, 10:51 PM

So I'm looking into residential treatment for an eating disorder. How heavy are they going to push psychiatric meds? I really would love to try on my own before using them. My main worry is threat for serotonin syndrome, as I had that in the past due to an old-school tricyclic antidepressant I am on for chronic migraines (the only thing that has been helpful). I am seriously not willing to change my stance on changing my migraine medication. Before this, I had a migraine for three straight months until we found the right one. I was begging the ER to sedate me because I couldn't handle it. I wanted to die. I never ever ever want to go back to that, no matter what.

I think there are other ways to manage anxiety, such as breathing techniques that help immediately or within minutes, for me. If I'm able to compromise with practicing these techniques at a certain frequency a day, would that be an option to avoid medication? I need to call her tomorrow and get that straightened out, I've been so concerned with the vegetarian diet, that I'm losing track of what is really important. I do not personally believe in the "take this medication until you can learn skills" approach.

Honestly, the only medications I am willing to try are the ones I am currently on that have been helpful and benzodiazepines, which my psychiatrist has taken me off of because she does not believe it is healthy long term, although they were extremely helpful. I also have a history of substance abuse, so those may not be an option for me anymore. I do think that is the main reason she took me off of them, as I went into substance abuse treatment and was quickly weened off.

Are they going to respect my wishes in that sense? This is honestly a deal-breaker for me.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Psychiatric meds in residential? - May 25th 2016, 11:16 PM

They make you talk to a psychiatrist but if you two decide medication isn't necessary then they won't push it. Or, they shouldn't. Some of the girls in my treatment were on meds and some were not. If you take a medication that can cause serotonin syndrome. They can't force you to go off it to treat another condition. I would talk to them about this though.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Psychiatric meds in residential? - May 25th 2016, 11:54 PM

I've only seen people forcefully given medication if they were having a anger outburst or actively self injuring.

Most newer antidepressants have a very low chance for serotonin syndrome to occur. Tricyclic antidepressants are also not used much anymore unless as a last resort for depression now too.

Many doctors will take people off of benzodiazepines or won't prescribe them at all because they are heavily abused and have since been restricted by the government in the US. I've come across many doctors who will not prescribe them for me and will actually take me off the one I take without my outpatient psychiatrist's or my permission.

I'm sure they will teach you other coping mechanisms as well since they teach them to people who take medication as well. It's ultimately up to you as to whether you take medication long term and they should respect that (most doctors I've had respect my wishes on not taking certain medications), but I still recommend keeping an open mind in regards to medication to treat mental illness.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Last edited by arepo; May 26th 2016 at 12:40 AM.

Closed Thread