TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Britt. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I hate my body - June 20th 2016, 11:09 PM

Some of you may know back in 2010-2011 I struggled with my weight and became very thin. Since then I have gained all my weight back. I recently saw pictures of myself from back then and since that day I have been restricting what I have eaten and purge a few times a week. I will do anything to get back to where I was.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: I hate my body - June 21st 2016, 04:30 AM

Well,
I think firstly, stop looking at those pictures, if this is the effect they are having on you.
Also, try talking to your parents or S/O, or a friend or someone you trust, so you can try to find a strategy to combat this.
Also, is there something else that has triggered this self hate? Like a someone passing comments or something?
PM me if you wanna talk.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I hate my body - June 24th 2016, 05:48 AM

Hey there.

From what I can tell, your 2010 - 2011 weight was reached because you were struggling, not through eating healthily and exercising, and was therefore not sustainable.

My advice is, instead of aiming for that weight, which by your own admission meant that you were "very thin", try to focus on reaching a healthy weight for your height. To do this, I would suggest using an online BMI calculator/chart.

I would advise against restricting and, in particular, purging. Not only are these behaviours damaging to your body, but they are counter-productive. You will mess up your metabolism and when you do allow yourself food, the body will store the calories instead of burning them, in preparation for the next time you deny yourself nutrients.

Have you thought about joining a gym, or going swimming, cycling, running or even skipping with a rope? All of these activities get your heart rate up and burn lots of calories. If you exercised, you could avoid feeling guilty about eating and manage to lose weight too.

I'm sorry to learn that you are unhappy with yourself. I hope that you can find a healthy way to achieve your desired weight.

Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coverationd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I hate my body - June 24th 2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJazz View Post
Hey there.

From what I can tell, your 2010 - 2011 weight was reached because you were struggling, not through eating healthily and exercising, and was therefore not sustainable.

My advice is, instead of aiming for that weight, which by your own admission meant that you were "very thin", try to focus on reaching a healthy weight for your height. To do this, I would suggest using an online BMI calculator/chart.

I would advise against restricting and, in particular, purging. Not only are these behaviours damaging to your body, but they are counter-productive. You will mess up your metabolism and when you do allow yourself food, the body will store the calories instead of burning them, in preparation for the next time you deny yourself nutrients.

Have you thought about joining a gym, or going swimming, cycling, running or even skipping with a rope? All of these activities get your heart rate up and burn lots of calories. If you exercised, you could avoid feeling guilty about eating and manage to lose weight too.

I'm sorry to learn that you are unhappy with yourself. I hope that you can find a healthy way to achieve your desired weight.

Jasmine

In your opinion what is the best weight for 25-35 years age group?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I hate my body - June 24th 2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coverationd View Post
Hey mate,
honestly, it depends on a lot of things. Whats your height? What is your gender? Do you have medical conditions? etc etc.
But by and large, height and gender are the most important imo.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: I hate my body - June 25th 2016, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coverationd View Post
It's against the rules to post weight numbers here, and none of us are doctors. A lot of factors do go into what a healthy weight range would be for you, so it would be best to speak to your doctor about that. Also please make sure you make your own thread in the future if you have a question to ask.

Brit, I think it's best for you to stop looking at those pictures. I know it's hard to not reminisce on the past, but you're a different person now and that's not a bad thing! I think what would really help is for you to work on changing your diet. Try eating more fruits and vegetables and less dairy and the energy you get from that will make you feel better. I struggled with body image for so long, but once I changed my lifestyle and started eating healthier I have made a lot of peace with my body. Remember that what you look like has nothing to do with who you are as a person, either. It doesn't determine your worth and it doesn't mean that people won't think you're beautiful. The average person doesn't look like models in magazines, and nobody expects that from you. What you need to focus on is confidence boosters. Maybe get some new clothes or try a new haircut. Little things like that can be surprisingly helpful for feeling better about yourself.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: I hate my body - June 25th 2016, 09:25 PM

Maybe it would help to realize that you have recovered- and that your "super skinny" past self only looked good to you- due to your eating disorder. Everyone else just saw a girl that was struggling with an eating disorder- they didn't think "wow you look beautiful". They might think that now that you have recovered- but they probably didn't think that then. People are not impressed when they see an unhealthily skinny girl. Only pro-ana people are- and you should not associate with them. It is black and white thinking to think that the opposite of obesity is any better. Balance is best.

Most healthy people do not equate weight with looks or personal value. It is the full picture that matters- and a girl can still be beautiful even if her BMI is above average. A lot of guys actually don't prefer petite women. I'm not saying that you had an eating disorder to impress people. What I am saying is to , instead of restricting, focus on other ways that you can improve yourself. That way you will look and feel more confident in yourself- which will be good for your recovery and help prevent relapse. This could be a healthy exercise program, a new hobby or sport, etc. Anything that you can do to improve who you feel you are- so that you can think of your skinny self- and see a greater difference in how you are now vs how you were then- a difference that isn't just marked by weight - but by a gain in personal abilities, self esteem, and worth as a person.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: I hate my body - June 26th 2016, 04:34 PM

I believe that people thought I was more attractive then. I actually felt beautiful for once. I haven't felt comfortable in my skin since then. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still struggling but am hanging in there.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I hate my body - June 27th 2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
I believe that people thought I was more attractive then. I actually felt beautiful for once. I haven't felt comfortable in my skin since then. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm still struggling but am hanging in there.
Thats great to hear you're hanging in.
For all its worth, I'm sure you're beautiful

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: I hate my body - June 27th 2016, 05:04 PM

I don't think i am, but thanks

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: I hate my body - June 30th 2016, 02:30 AM

Hey,

I think that you need to try and stop looking at the pictures from back when you were struggling. They are going to trigger you and it might end up making things worse.

Personally, I don't look at pictures from back when I was thinner because it freaks me out and I end up getting back into restricting and purging.

If you want to lose weight it is better to lose it with healthy diet and exercise. Maybe there are things you can do to make losing weight (if you need to) fun. Try new recipes, go for walks with friends, family or pets.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#12 (permalink)) Old
SteevWeb Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I hate my body - July 2nd 2016, 09:59 AM

I feel the same..
When I'm in a depression doinf dumb stupid things
Like gaming things like this http://www.kizigamesxl.com/luigi-stunts.html

(#13 (permalink)) Old
MunGeul Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I hate my body - July 6th 2016, 10:45 AM

When I'm in a depression I play games like this! Great game!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
KimBom Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I hate my body - July 12th 2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteevWeb View Post
I feel the same..
When I'm in a depression doinf dumb stupid things
Like gaming things like this
I'm not in depression now but I like play game every day!

Closed Thread