TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Body image is so hard to deal with these days. - July 31st 2016, 11:25 PM

I have a problem. Everywhere i look, I always pay attention to the way that everyone else looks (how much fat i can see on them, wondering if they starve themselves to look good or if fat people eat all day). its driving me crazy.
one day ill be feeling like i look great and then i look in the mirror and everything changes. i suddenly get depressed. other days i look in the mirror and it doesnt look too bad but then i fee so fat so i suck in my stomach.
today at church people kept looking at me and the dress i wore, now i dont know if its bc they think im fat or their worried about my weight loss.
but ive always wondered whayi woud be like to stop trying to lose and just know ur healthy and ralax a little more. i hate my weight and my body but everyone else says im thin and one time one of my friends told me i look anorexic. im actually a pretty healthy weight according to mt doctor but i just dont feel like it and i have a lot of weight to lose. ive always wondered what it would be like to be okay without my excessive exercise and be okay with eating certain foods/ i heard someone today say that pretzils are healthy and i kinda freaked out inside. i hate talking about food or exercise with other people bc i have more knowledge and more experience and food somehow stresses me out even just talking about it.
i dont understand any of this and i dont know why i cant just be happy with my body and love myself for who i am. im such a perfectionist when if comes to this.
advice and support would be apprectiated. thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dominant Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Dom

Re: Body image is so hard to deal with these days. - August 1st 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses3000 View Post
I have a problem. Everywhere i look, I always pay attention to the way that everyone else looks (how much fat i can see on them, wondering if they starve themselves to look good or if fat people eat all day). its driving me crazy.
one day ill be feeling like i look great and then i look in the mirror and everything changes. i suddenly get depressed. other days i look in the mirror and it doesnt look too bad but then i fee so fat so i suck in my stomach.
today at church people kept looking at me and the dress i wore, now i dont know if its bc they think im fat or their worried about my weight loss.
but ive always wondered whayi woud be like to stop trying to lose and just know ur healthy and ralax a little more. i hate my weight and my body but everyone else says im thin and one time one of my friends told me i look anorexic. im actually a pretty healthy weight according to mt doctor but i just dont feel like it and i have a lot of weight to lose. ive always wondered what it would be like to be okay without my excessive exercise and be okay with eating certain foods/ i heard someone today say that pretzils are healthy and i kinda freaked out inside. i hate talking about food or exercise with other people bc i have more knowledge and more experience and food somehow stresses me out even just talking about it.
i dont understand any of this and i dont know why i cant just be happy with my body and love myself for who i am. im such a perfectionist when if comes to this.
advice and support would be apprectiated. thanks.
Does your physician know you have a body image problem? If not, telling your physician might help. You could get tips.
It's hard for some of us to love ourselves. Just try to remind yourself that you're lovely. You have friends and family, remind yourself that you have a great life when you're upset. And that your'e not fat

(#3 (permalink)) Old
luckiicloverxx Offline
Staff On Leave

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kyra

Re: Body image is so hard to deal with these days. - August 1st 2016, 12:40 PM

Hey Cheyenne,

I'm sorry that you're going through this. I know how you feel, to a degree. I used to think that I was unattractive and fat, and when I saw other people getting boyfriends while I didn't, it sort of became confirmation of what I thought of myself? And it got a bit worse when I moved and saw girls who were all thin and pretty. And rather than it lead me the way you went, I just kind of gave up. I ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise and it definitely did not boost my self-esteem. It also led me to rushing into a relationship with a guy because I was amazed that he actually thought I was attractive. Easy enough to say, the relationship wasn't successful because it happened too quickly and hadn't been built on foundations of similar interests and compatibility. And after this, I realised that I was being ridiculous to make myself feel so bad about how I looked for no reason and that my self worth shouldn't be based on the opinions of others. Though I may not be 100% comfortable with my features and body, I am a lot more accepting of them now and I've started treating my body a lot better and it feels great!

So I don't mean to be talking about myself this whole time, but I was hoping that hearing about how I managed to get through a similar situation to you would allow you to see that you can overcome this. Your worth shouldn't be based upon whether you think other people see you as fat or anorexic. It should be based upon how you treat your body, whether you're happy, and whether you're leading a lifestyle that you're proud of. It's fine to be a perfectionist, because that's how we improve, but you do need to accept that your body will never be perfect. Because once you reach that goal of xxx pounds or kilos, you will see someone out there who weighs less than you or who has nicer legs or arms than you. But you can't compare yourself to them, because you don't have the same body and you don't know how they treat their body. They could be harming themselves by starving everyday to take those Instagram pictures, for all you know.

I'm sure you're a beautiful girl and I hope that one day soon, you'll see it too.

I hope this helped and feel free to PM me if you ever need to talk!

Kyra
  Send a message via Skype™ to luckiicloverxx 
Closed Thread