TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Triggering (ED): Changes to my period? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t148983-changes-my-period/)

DeletedAccount71 December 14th 2016 10:39 PM

Changes to my period?

So I've been struggling with my eating disorder (my official diagnosis is EDNOS) for several weeks now. I've been restricting every day and have tried purging a couple of times. About a year and a half ago I had the Mirena IUD put in to replace the Paraguard I had, which was giving me horrible cramps and heavy periods each month, sometimes more than once in a month. I had very light periods for a couple of months but then they stopped completely. However, this week I noticed some light spotting. I had it for a day or two and then it stopped for several days, then today I had light spotting again. I'm very confused. I thought eating disorders stopped your period, not started it. Is this even related to my eating disorder? That's the only change I've made in my life so I can't think of what else might cause me to start having light periods again. If anyone has any information or advice I'd really appreciate it.

.Brittany. December 16th 2016 07:47 PM

Re: Changes to my period?

Hi Jordan,

I'm so sorry that you're still struggling with your Eating Disorder. When I had my Eating Disorder, my period eventually became very light. There would be a month here and there where nothing would come. If you're really concerned I recommend going to see your Family Doctor about it. :)

I hope you get better soon!
Brittany

DeletedAccount71 December 17th 2016 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Brittany. (Post 1263559)
Hi Jordan,

I'm so sorry that you're still struggling with your Eating Disorder. When I had my Eating Disorder, my period eventually became very light. There would be a month here and there where nothing would come. If you're really concerned I recommend going to see your Family Doctor about it. :)

I hope you get better soon!
Brittany

Thanks for your reply, Brittany. It's still happening. I bleed very lightly for a day or two and then nothing happens for a couple of days, then I get cramps and start having light bleeding again. I don't think it's anything I want to see a doctor about (because I don't want them to know I have an eating disorder); it's more annoying than anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

.Brittany. December 17th 2016 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanceCommander (Post 1263599)
Thanks for your reply, Brittany. It's still happening. I bleed very lightly for a day or two and then nothing happens for a couple of days, then I get cramps and start having light bleeding again. I don't think it's anything I want to see a doctor about (because I don't want them to know I have an eating disorder); it's more annoying than anything else. I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience.

Hey Jordan,

I understand not wanting to go to see your doctor about this, however I do think that if it continues you really should reach out for medical help. A symptom of Eating Disorders include abdominal pain/discomfort which might be a reason that you're getting cramps. Are you having normal bowel movements? It might also be constipation.

When it comes to losing your period, you're correct most of the time women will lose their menstrual period. I still think that you're seeing spotting as your body is attempting to shed your endometrium. Also, I'm not sure if you eventually want to have children, but by losing your period it might make you have a harder time being able to conceive when you're ready to.

When you have an Eating Disorder you're body starts to lose on some of the female hormones within your system, which is one of the main reasons you lose your period.

I hope this helps!
Brittany