TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Recovery takes time so don't - May 13th 2017, 06:24 AM

The school called my mom today because they are worried about my eating. I had to do an assignment for health class that made me track my food intake for a week. I left a note on there that said, "I don't mean to be rude or judgemental but I honestly think it's such a bad idea to make teens track their food bc it can lead to eating disorders and be triggering to those with eating disorders." And they gave me 25/50 on the assignment. They said I can retake it if I want for a better score. I'm so mad bc it's not like I can just automatically be better and eat more. It takes time. And I'm sure they don't want me lying about eating more. I was just being honest. It's an indirect way of crying out for help.

So now my mom is making me eat more and I am working out A LOT more just so I don't gain weight. I'm so angry at everything right now. At least my parents are considering getting me a counselor. I just want support please.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 13th 2017, 06:38 AM

Hey Cheyenne,

I can definitely understand your frustrations with the assignment and everything that has followed because of it. Does your teacher know about your battle with an eating disorder? If not, perhaps you can set up a meeting with her to explain your situation/negative relationship with food to her and talk to her about why filling out a food log was a risk to your well-being. You can also ask her if there is an alternative assignment that you can complete to make up the lost points. Most teachers are willing to make arrangements if there are special circumstances such as this.

It's understandable that you feel angry with your mom for pushing you to eat more. But, try to understand that she's doing so because she has your best interest at heart. Was your mom aware of your eating disorder before the school called? If she wasn't, it's likely that she's trying to process everything right now and is acting in a way that she thinks will be best for you. Perhaps you could sit her (and your dad) down and talk to them about what they can do to help you with your recovery in a way that doesn't cause you to pull away from them. It sounds like they're already taking a step towards that in considering getting you a counselor.

As you said, recovery doesn't happen overnight. But, you can beat this!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 13th 2017, 07:06 AM

Thanks Sammi. My parents already knew about my eating disorder but they didn't think it was a problem anymore. They just thought I got over it and I'm doing fine. It's a constant battle every day though. I've had a counselor before but it was difficult to set up meetings bc of their work schedules and I don't have my liscense yet. But they're willing to give it another try.

The teach is actually an online health teacher bc I have to do it online to fit my schedule for school. She emailed the assistant principal about it and they called and emailed my mom about it. They don't really seem angry about it bc they know it's a struggle but I'm just terrified of gaining weight from eating more.
I might email the teacher and see if there's a way to get a better grade on it. I mean, I don't think it should be marked down just because I don't eat much. I did the assignment which was to track everything I ate. That's exactly what they asked for and I did that so I think I should still get full credit with the exception that I get help for this problem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 13th 2017, 03:20 PM

Hey Cheyenne, I don't think it was right for them to mark you down because you said something that a lot of people (including adults such as myself) agree with. Calories and food intake can be a huge bother/trigger to people. For me, I just focus on what I see in front of me. I try not to pay attention to any other detail.

I would definitely suggest emailing your teachers and seeing if you can take an alternate assignment for the course so your grades don't suffer. I feel like students should be able to speak up on educational subjects that triggers them in a negative way, because then they can't do their best work.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 13th 2017, 03:32 PM

Very true. The principal wants to speak with me and my mom and I think they're gonna make me talk to the counselor (which I'm okay with). Maybe the teacher would accept an essay about how an eating disorder really affects me. I'd be good with that and I could be heard. I love any type of writing. I might email her after I let some things settle down and after talk with my parents more about it.

I was just being honest in my food log. I didn't think it would come this far. And I hate lying.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 14th 2017, 02:45 AM

I know in my case if something is going to make me worse or trigger me, my teachers give me a pass on the assignment or give me something different to do for the same about of points. If you have a therapist I would see about having them write you a note saying this assignment is hiddering progress because keep track of food is what you aren't supposed to do with an ed. The school and teacher would have to accept that and not take away any points.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 14th 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflykisses3000 View Post
Very true. The principal wants to speak with me and my mom and I think they're gonna make me talk to the counselor (which I'm okay with). Maybe the teacher would accept an essay about how an eating disorder really affects me. I'd be good with that and I could be heard. I love any type of writing. I might email her after I let some things settle down and after talk with my parents more about it.

I was just being honest in my food log. I didn't think it would come this far. And I hate lying.
There was nothing wrong with being honest in your food log.

I think writing an essay about how your eating disorder affects you, how you cope and live with it is a wonderful idea. I would bring that up with your parents and the principal, see if they'd go for it. I don't see why that wouldn't be an appropriate alternate assignment. Let us know how it goes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount2

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 14th 2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks. I will for sure let you know. I'm on day one of the recovery process bc my parents practically forced me. But I'm okay with it and I deserve to live a life free of worry and I'm tired of what an Eating Disorder has done to me. I'm ready to change and I'm truly living for God now because he wants the best for me and is the only way out of this viscous cycle. I got prayer at church today and I'm already feeling a lot better. It will definitely take time to eat as much as I should but I'm gradually working to adding a bit more to my diet every day. I've never felt more alive and free. Thank you, Lord!!!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Recovery takes time so don't - May 14th 2017, 08:46 PM

Cheyenne, that is wonderful! Best of luck on your path to recovery! In addition to God, don't ever be afraid to reach out to us here on TeenHelp if you have to. You've totally got this.

Closed Thread