TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

are eating disorders seen as nothing these days? RANT - September 17th 2017, 10:36 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I can't go on anymore my life is ruined I have lost everything this disorder has destroyed me.
I don't know what to do anymore no one understands what I am going through I feel that I wont be alive much longer because of how sick I am becoming I feel so lost and alone. I told my friend I was feeling suicidal.
Conversation via snapchat.
Justin Hi mate I wont be answering much at the moment I don't feel well I don't know if I can fight this illness anymore if I feel better we will have to go out again soon.

He then responded with yeah he's a great player and he needs more time to adapt to the team. I think he was responding to something I said earlier on about football but why dose no one understand the seriousness of eating disorders it makes me sick UPDATE I told my mum about this eating disorder she kinda knew anyway. She still doesn't see how bad this is no one does I feel the only way of showing people is maybe killing myself or doing something drastic I feel so alone no one cares about me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: are eating disorders seen as nothing these days? RANT - September 18th 2017, 09:57 AM

So sorry! Lucky you live in England. I think they have the best health care for this kind of illness in the world.

Though it's still really hard to treat. It doesn't seem to respond to Western medicine as well. Don't seem to be any pills or surgery which fixes it. (That's pretty much the only 2 things Western medicine knows; either a pill will fix it, or surgery. If neither work, then they're out of ideas.)

Which
possibly means Eastern medicine might be more successful.

Eastern stuff, like acupuncture, yoga, tai-chi, qi-gong, martial arts, what else do they do? Oh yea, Meditation.

Glad your mother at least seems supportive.

Keep your mom updated. She needs feedback. She'll do research and find out what options are available for you. She'd probably go to the ends of the earth to save you if necessary. (Unless she's too preoccupied with herself, if she has her own problems.)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: are eating disorders seen as nothing these days? RANT - September 18th 2017, 11:04 AM

Eating disorders are seen as a really big deal. But in my opinion I still think people think of them as "a girl disorder" so when guys show signs or tells there friends and parents they really don't take it all that serious.

Are you in therapy? If you are I would definatly talk to your therapist about this and how you feel. If you see a therapist that doesn't specialize in eating disorders I would see about trying to get one that does. That is usually the best bet because they will know how to help you a lot better.

If you do not have a therapist I would recommened talking to your doctor and telling them what is going on so they can help you find a therapist,
apis
If you are really worried about this, I also suggest going to see your regular doctor and getting a check up to see if they are concerned with anything. If they are they can tell your therapist (if you have one) then they can figure out the best way to treat you.

I hope this has helped. And if you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away
Your Friend,
Essa<3

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: are eating disorders seen as nothing these days? RANT - September 18th 2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del677 View Post
So sorry! Lucky you live in England. I think they have the best health care for this kind of illness in the world.

Though it's still really hard to treat. It doesn't seem to respond to Western medicine as well. Don't seem to be any pills or surgery which fixes it. (That's pretty much the only 2 things Western medicine knows; either a pill will fix it, or surgery. If neither work, then they're out of ideas.)

Which
possibly means Eastern medicine might be more successful.

Eastern stuff, like acupuncture, yoga, tai-chi, qi-gong, martial arts, what else do they do? Oh yea, Meditation.

Glad your mother at least seems supportive.

Keep your mom updated. She needs feedback. She'll do research and find out what options are available for you. She'd probably go to the ends of the earth to save you if necessary. (Unless she's too preoccupied with herself, if she has her own problems.)
This is not all that accurate. Medication and surgery are definitely huge in the USA but that is not the only thing a good doctor will take into consideration. In regards to mental health treatment and really good doctor will emphasize that people need to be on medication and therapy. Also, a number of doctors are aware that medication is not the only fix and will allow patients to try other things or even make suggestions on alternatives. Of course, for some patients medication is the only thing that keeps them semi-stable.

As for Justin, I think that eating disorders are seen as a big deal unless you don't fit the stereotype for someone that has an Eating Disorder. I never really fit the stereotype or generalizations people had so I was never really taken all that serious. I dealt with family who didn't think that I really had an eating disorder and still don't really think that I did.

The other thing to take into consideration is that there are a lot of people that don't really know what to say to someone that is dealing with a mental health issue. In those instances people will ignore the issue because it is easier to ignore and act like everything is okay. It is definitely really frustrating and a good majority of the people in my family handle my mental health problems this way.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread