TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ellie83024 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

No motivation to eat - November 6th 2017, 11:58 PM

A while ago I went through a few months of disordered eating. I got sent to a psychiatrist but they sent me away saying ďyouíre just a teenagerĒ. Eventually I began recovering on my own. However now I donít exactly hate my body like I used to, I just have no motivation to eat anything and I have no appetite. I end up living on cereal and people have said theyíre concerned for me. I donít even eat sometimes when I feel lightheaded and my stomach hurts. Itís not laziness or anything like that. Itís just the fact that I donít crave any food like I used to, I just go for bland cereal if Iím going to eat at all. This has been going on for a few months and I donít know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: No motivation to eat - November 10th 2017, 01:56 PM

Hey there (and welcome to TeenHelp!)

I'm sorry to hear that you have struggled with disordered eating only to be told by a psychiatrist that it was just a 'teenager' thing. Unfortunately, not all psychiatrists are knowledgable when it comes to eating disorders, but hopefully there will be other professional who are more understanding!

Lack of appetite and no motivation to eat can be common symptoms for all sorts of things including depression and anxiety as well as some eating disorders. It must be awful for you to reach the point of feeling lightheaded and have your stomach hurting, when you just don't have an appetite for food. It's good that you are still eating cereal, though I'm wondering if maybe introducing other foods as well might help to give you a bit more of an appetite? Things like fruit and yoghurt can help to give you more vitamins and aren't as filling as other snacks. Speaking of which, even though you might not feel like eating the traditional 3 meals a day, maybe splitting it up into 6 small meals a day? Eating a meal when you don't have an appetite can seem like an impossible task but snacking/having small meals throughout the day maybe a bit more manageable.

I know that you may be weary about reaching out for help again, given the last psychiatrist. But there are professionals out there who can help with eating disorders, so maybe try reaching out again. You deserve support to get through this!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: No motivation to eat - November 11th 2017, 12:54 AM

Hello and welcome to teenhelp we are so glad that you have joined.

I am sorry that you are having a hard time, when it comes to food you want to be able to enjoy what you are eating and when you are at the point where you can't do this it's frustrating because you don't know what to do and howto fix this. I agree with what it says up above, if you can eat yogurt or get breakfast drinks where you just add the milk and the package this can help you get food in you. Also I liked where it said introducing new food in, because this could help you eat a little bit more and hopefully you can enjoy some more of the things you liked before and other things.

Can you try talking to you're school counselor and letting them know that you're having a hard time with this and you need help with this situation that you are in. It's always good to talk to other people because when we don't know the answer to a problem or something that's going on other people can help us through this and it makes us feel better because they're helping us and fixing what we are going through. I wish you the best and hope you will be ok soon. Hugs.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: No motivation to eat - November 12th 2017, 01:05 AM

Hey,

It is unfortunate that the hospital was a bit dismissive of your problems.

I know that you don't really crave foods or what not but I think that you should still try and make yourself eat a little something at each meal. I know, back when I was in treatment for my Eating Disorder, there were times when, myself or another patient, didn't really feel like eating. They told us the best thing to do was to still try and eat at each meal because our body needed the nourishment.

I think, the same applies to you even if you don't have an eating disorder. One of the ways the treatment center would help us out was by having a set schedule to eat. It might be helpful if you did something similar and, maybe, you could even make your meals or, at least plan them, ahead of time.

I think that you should also consider looking into seeing a counselor. I know that might be hard, especially given that the hospital was dismissive, but a therapist might be able to help you figure out what is contributing to your lack of motivation to eat. If you all can figure that out, you might be able to work on coming to some type of resolution.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread