TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Advice needed on treatment - March 11th 2018, 05:29 PM

My mom and my dad are begging me to go to treatment because iv been losing alot of weight because i relapsed and they are really concerned and scared. My therapist got permission for me to go to a really nice treatment center. The problem is though i dont feel ready to go to treatment and I would only be going for my parents. Im not ready to go through the weight gain again. Whenever I gain weight people tell me i look chubby and big. Whenever i lose weight i get so many compliments even from relatives that i look beautiful and so good. I like my body at this low weight. If I deny the treatment I may not get the opportunity to go ever again. But if i accept it and gain the weight the percentage to relapse is pretty much a given. I just dont know what to do...

"If I could just unzip my skin, step out of this body, then I would see who I really am.Ē -Wintergirls

FREE HUGS

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Advice needed on treatment - March 12th 2018, 08:22 PM

I'd say go for the treatment. It's always good to think about your readiness for treatment, and if it's possible to delay the treatment, it's worth doing that if it helps (although be sure to actually go through it rather than keep delaying it). But it seems like your main concern with going through treatment is a mixture of how other's perceive your body image, and the likelihood of relapse.

With an eating disorder, it's very important that those around you are educated enough to avoid saying or doing things that might trigger you into wanting to relapse. For example, relatives complimenting your weight loss, may add to the pressure to keep to a low weight. Perhaps they can compliment you on things other than appearance? If people call you 'chubby' and 'big' its best to try to ignore the comments as they are negative, and only reflects the fact that some people think it's okay to say these things to others, rather than a direct reflection of you. Either way, it can help to find ways of dealing with triggers (and if you haven't already, you may want to check out our alternatives resource http://www.teenhelp.org/alternatives/ )

Following on from that, it's not guaranteed that you will relapse. I'm not sure what treatment centers are like, but they may be able to help you learn to deal with triggers that may cause a relapse. And even if a relapse does happen, you'll be in a better position to manage it.

Since you don't feel ready, maybe you can talk about your feelings with your therapist and see what they suggest?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

Closed Thread