TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

I keep checking calorie counters! - August 10th 2018, 01:23 AM

Yesterday I ate editedcalories. So today I made a goal for myself to eat less. Today I ate editedcalories. I know it is not good to check, but I can't help it. Ugh, calorie counters are like my best friends! But I also wish they were never invented. Any advice?

Last edited by Hypothesis.; August 10th 2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Calorie numbers are still not allowed in the eating disorders forum. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: I keep checking calorie counters! - August 11th 2018, 11:51 AM

I'm not sure if it will help specifically when it comes to eating disorders and checking calories, but when I want to 'check' something that I know will affect my mood, I always stop before checking and ask myself if I really want to do this. Ask yourself if you will feel better or worse after checking, and how would you deal with your emotions if you feel worse afterwards.

Checking calories can be helpful when done in a healthy way. But with an eating disorder, it's likely that whatever numbers you see, you will still be tempted to restrict....which is unhealthy.

It's hard because it can seem addictive, checking things. But perhaps try to challenge yourself to lower the amount of times you are checking calories...you can be in control of the checking and not the other way around

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can’t help, I’m always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Abbi22702 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail

Re: I keep checking calorie counters! - August 12th 2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
I'm not sure if it will help specifically when it comes to eating disorders and checking calories, but when I want to 'check' something that I know will affect my mood, I always stop before checking and ask myself if I really want to do this. Ask yourself if you will feel better or worse after checking, and how would you deal with your emotions if you feel worse afterwards.

Checking calories can be helpful when done in a healthy way. But with an eating disorder, it's likely that whatever numbers you see, you will still be tempted to restrict....which is unhealthy.

It's hard because it can seem addictive, checking things. But perhaps try to challenge yourself to lower the amount of times you are checking calories...you can be in control of the checking and not the other way around
Thanks! Yeah, whenever I check I lower the amount of calories I can have each day. I know it is not healthy but I can't help it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: I keep checking calorie counters! - August 12th 2018, 12:29 AM

Hey,
So I know how hard it is not to count calories.

I have a couple ideas. First when you pick up a food to eat DO NOT look at the package to see how many calories are in it. You can go as far as having a parent use a sharpie and black out the calorie content on the thing the food comes with. I strongly recommened doing this since you lower your calorie intake from what you have eaten.

I honestly don't know what you mean by calorie counters. Because I've always just done it myself. But if there is a website or whatever I would ask a parent to block these sites on whatever device you use. If you are doing it from a phone then I would delete all the apps you have for it.

Since you are struggling with this, I think it's safe to say you may have an eating disorder or just suffer from disordered eating. I would suggest you talk to your parents and tell them what is going on and if you don't already have a therapist I would ask them if you could get one and make sure the specialize in Eating disorders. If you already have a therapist I would talk to them about this and they maybe able to help and if not they most likely will refer you to someone who can.

If you ever need to talk I am just a PM/VM away.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I keep checking calorie counters! - August 12th 2018, 01:44 AM

Holly is right that counting calories can be helpful when performed in a healthy way. As someone who works out and has to monitor what they eat, calorie intake is important, however, it is not as important as you may think. It's about what's inside the food that you eat - the macro and micro nutrients.

When I was younger I used to suffer really badly when it came to eating because I had such a poor body image and other factors. While I didn't count calories there were other things I 'counted', and admittedly still do from time to time. For me, I found a good way of getting around my issue by keeping in mind how nutritious and healthy something is. For example, while brown rice has more calories in it, it's actually more healthy than its white counterpart. So whenever I cook with rice, I always use brown. I may be adding on extra calories, but it doesn't mean to say they're bad.

Another method of countering my issue was that I started to work out. Working out is a great way of changing our body in a positive way and I would definitely recommend it. It also gives you a good reason to count calories, but for the right reasons. Just make sure you conduct some research from reputable sources beforehand so you're doing things properly.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Doglover2 Offline
Just a hooman
Average Joe

Name: Me

Re: I keep checking calorie counters! - August 12th 2018, 05:38 AM

One thing that sorta helps is a food log. There's a remended calorie intake per day, and I don't think I'm allowed to say it but it's a simple google search away and some products say it too.
I only say it sorta helps because you can't exactly predict calorie intake on homecooked foods. I own a fitbit which has an app to log your food from chain restruants or brands.

Since the ammount of calories has been edited out, it's hard to say if it's done unhealthifully. Also, I believe weight and age contribute to recommended calories, however I'm not exactly sure. Do consult with a doctor if you're concerned.

But if you're doing so in an unhealthy way, "censor it out" or remove the food from packaging into a reusable container.

I can reach out
To someone not like me
If you ask for help it doesn't make you weak

Closed Thread