TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation facing fear foods - September 8th 2018, 04:09 PM

As I'm in recovery, my therapist and dietician want me to face fear foods. I have taken a lot of time to think about it because it's a challenge although certain things, I've already been able to incorporate. How important is it to face the foods that are unhealthy? I know people say it's important for mental health and it's about giving up control, but first of all, I think those foods destroy mental and also, I'm already giving up control by eating regular meals. What do you think about it? I want to respect my body and not give it things that will harm me. I want my body to be very healthy and this could also improve my anxiety levels and OCD and memory and able to function every day. Eating the right foods can actually help my mental clarity so I don't understand why it's important for me to eat foods that will just destroy me. It's just as bad as not eating at all.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: facing fear foods - September 8th 2018, 10:52 PM

I'm going to tell you something my dietician told me that's stuck with me, and that helps me when I'm feeling rough about food.

There are no bad foods.

There is no food that will destroy you. That's fear and anxiety talking. There's no such thing as good and bad foods; that's black and white thinking, and black and white thinking is something that holds us back when it comes to food (I should know, as I am super guilty of it). Eating a scary food isn't going to hurt you, and certainly not in small amounts. I think it's actually good that your team is challenging you; I think it will really help with your anxiety (I know it's helped with mine).

I would suggest eating these challenge foods with someone to start with instead of just trying it on your own. I think that might be a little less daunting. I don't know how much or how little your team wants you to eat to start with, so I am not going to suggest an amount. I would simply suggest trusting in the fact that they know what they're doing. They've gone to years of school for this and have lots of training; they know how food and the body works, how food and YOUR body works, and they're not going to push you to do something that's truly going to harm it.

Good luck, and PM or VM me if you need anything.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
Closed Thread