TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

How to recognize an ED? - November 10th 2018, 04:13 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

People such as my parents and counselor have been saying I have an ED, but I don't think I do. Not anymore. Often times if I feel full I'll throw up, but that is normal, right? I'm just curious on how to recognize an ED, and find ways to recover because if people say I do and if I love the feeling of being hungry, then there must be ways to recover from said ED.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 11th 2018, 01:18 AM

Hey,
I'm sorry you are struggling with this, and are confused.

First I want to say that purging when you feel full, and loving feeling hungry is not something people do without have some sort of disorder eating pattern. I think your parents and your therapist have a right to be concerned.

I will say I know a lot of people who have an eating disorder think they have everything under control, or that they don't have a problem at all.

Here
is a list of symptoms of eating disorders from Neda's website. I hope this helps you a little bit. But I want you to know we aren't professionals so we can't say if you have an ED or not.

I hope this helped, if you ever need to talk I am here for you.
Your Friend,
Frankie<3

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 11th 2018, 03:26 AM

Hey Frankie,

Thanks for the input! I'm going to check out that website and hopefully understand what I'm struggling with. Hopefully my confusion will cease once I talk to my counselor and look at the site about this.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lexi

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 14th 2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unidentified~Unicorn View Post
People such as my parents and counselor have been saying I have an ED, but I don't think I do. Not anymore. Often times if I feel full I'll throw up, but that is normal, right? I'm just curious on how to recognize an ED, and find ways to recover because if people say I do and if I love the feeling of being hungry, then there must be ways to recover from said ED.
Hey, I am in the same situation as you although I do not vomit when I eat. I just don't eat very much at all and when I do I just pick very little off the plate and say I am full. I don't even have that feeling of feeling hungry at all. The difference with me though is I don't see myself as being fat, I just see myself as being average weight while everyone else sees me as super skinny. I just don't know if I am Anorexic or not. If I am I would like to get help for it, but like I said it isn't like I am [edit] or anything.

Last edited by Oh, Bother; November 14th 2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Weight numbers are not aloud in the Eating disorder forum

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Luminescence. Offline
Articles Writer
Regular TeenHelper

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 14th 2018, 08:54 PM

MIGHT BE TW

I want to clarify something, as I experience this myself. When you binge-eat to the point of feeling food stuffed up through your esophagus, you SPONTANEOUSLY throw up. This does not mean you are consciously purging, or maybe you are but that's really a grey area I can't give specifics designated for YOU specifically. It's more a matter of intent than anything else.

Think about your emotions as you eat, what are your thoughts on the food you attempt to digest?

I think Frankie gave a very helpful link to the NEDA website.

Also, I would strongly suggest reaching out to your parents or doctor for support. It's so important to talk this out with someone, and maybe they (especially the doctor) can come up with ways to treat this eating disorder, if it is indeed one.

Take it from me. I've had BED with occasional purges for years now.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lexi

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 14th 2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminescence. View Post
MIGHT BE TW

I want to clarify something, as I experience this myself. When you binge-eat to the point of feeling food stuffed up through your esophagus, you SPONTANEOUSLY throw up. This does not mean you are consciously purging, or maybe you are but that's really a grey area I can't give specifics designated for YOU specifically. It's more a matter of intent than anything else.

Think about your emotions as you eat, what are your thoughts on the food you attempt to digest?

I think Frankie gave a very helpful link to the NEDA website.

Also, I would strongly suggest reaching out to your parents or doctor for support. It's so important to talk this out with someone, and maybe they (especially the doctor) can come up with ways to treat this eating disorder, if it is indeed one.

Take it from me. I've had BED with occasional purges for years now.
One issue with me is my mom barely cares about me. I pretty much have to be on my death bed for her to even notice. I suppose I could talk to my Nana about it and then it would get back to my mom and then WW3 would start, but at least it would be out there.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
RORO Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 17th 2018, 12:19 AM

I was diagnosed with Bulimia Nervosa only when I was 14 years old. My mom noticed my life was quickly spiraling out of control as I was failing my Freshman year of high school and losing weight as well as becoming pretty defiant. It was a good thing she stepped in because I probably would be here if she didn't. I became underweight and I just lost all care for anything. It really wasn't the ED that finally got me to treatment but my mom caught me with a bottle of pills that I was going to take that evening. I was taken to the ER immediately and the next day was in a treatment center with a dual diagnosis of Bulimia Nervosa and Substance Abuse. Needless to say my life changed there even though I failed school that year my life was given back to me.

I suppose I am telling you or anyone with an ED this because it is not anything to play with and if you have even one thought in your head you are having a problem with it tell a trusted an adult.

Last edited by RORO; November 17th 2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight numbers.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fllagald Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 17th 2018, 03:33 AM

I had problems with overeating, but now I was able to overcome it. Of course the extra weight is left and I now want to bring my body in good shape with exercise and try to remove fat from the waist with the help of supplements [EDIT]. I read that it helps people and I really hope that it will help me. After all, a beautiful body is the key to success with girls, and now I'm not interesting to anyone.

Last edited by Oh, Bother; November 18th 2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Link is against the rules.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
RORO Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How to recognize an ED? - November 17th 2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fllagald View Post
I had problems with overeating, but now I was able to overcome it. Of course the extra weight is left and I now want to bring my body in good shape with exercise and try to remove fat from the waist with the help of supplements [EDIT]. I read that it helps people and I really hope that it will help me. After all, a beautiful body is the key to success with girls, and now I'm not interesting to anyone.
Overeating is a definite form of an ED. I am so sorry you went through that and glad you were able to overcome it. I also hope you are able to lose the excess weight you are trying to lose. I also know exactly what you mean by saying girls success a lot of it stems from body image. It unfortunately is very true in many cases. I try and keep that sort of stuff out of my mind as I don't want to get into a pattern where I am focusing so much on my body image where it is becoming the center of my attention and all I focus on, but I totally understand you. Good Luck.

Last edited by Oh, Bother; November 18th 2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Link is against the rules.

Closed Thread