TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

How Do I Know If This is Problematic? - April 11th 2019, 08:48 AM

[SIZE="a"]How do I know if my eating habits (or lack of them) are something I should be concerned about?
I get cold often, have stomache issues, feel dizzy sometimes, am constantly tired and eat maybe two meals a day but drink not that much liquids. My meals are not exactly healthy and mostly are fast-food or processed. I'm slightly overweight (according to BMI). Is it really worth mentioning in therapy next session or to my psych nurse practitioner?[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How Do I Know If This is Problematic? - April 12th 2019, 01:09 PM

So first things first, BMI is a very frustrating measurement, I've seen it call people who are actually thin but muscular overweight, and it's called people who are only slightly overweight + muscular like myself obese. I actually refuse to know what my BMI is because I find it super triggering in terms of my history with an eating disorder. My point is that you shouldn't take it to heart and it's probably triggering you to feel like you're weight is worse than it really is.

That said, it does sound like you're eating habits aren't the healthiest, to be honest. You should be eating more than twice a day and it shouldn't all be or even mostly be processed foods. I feel like the fact you have to ask suggests that you know on some level that this isn't the healthiest option.

I would definitely recommend bringing it up with your therapist if it is something you'd like to address there. They could probably help you establish realistic healthier habits and help you with any cognitive issues you have around food

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: How Do I Know If This is ⠠⠏⠗⠕⠃⠇⠑⠍⠁⠞⠊⠉⠦ - April 12th 2019, 07:53 PM

[SIZE="a"]Thank you.
Hard part about eating less processed food is I'd be the only one eating it and some would go to waste. I rely on food stamps. Every dollar I spend counts and though, I'd like to keep them for myself and only buy what I want, the pressure to help those I live with is difficult to ignore.
I know from when I was at colege, that even if I eat healthier, I still eat about the same.
As a child I experienced starvation at certain points and I think maybe I do not fully see when I'm hungry or the true ncessity of eating until my stomach is hurting, grumbling, I'm dizzy and/or having other issues. I know we all need food to live but I have no idea why I do this. I just do not want to be told I do not have a problem again or when I mark I eat two meals on my form for the ⠙⠕⠉⠞⠕⠗⠎ nothing is said. When I look at my online records I see my BMI (which I agree is not as accurate as some try to make it out to be), with "overweight" next to it and below tips on how to eat better by eating less-processed foods, eating more fruits and vegetables and "weight ⠍⠁⠝⠁⠛⠑⠰⠞⠴⠲[/size]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How Do I Know If This is Problematic? - April 13th 2019, 01:40 PM

I totally understand how that must make your situation difficult. If you're experiencing food insecurity of course it makes it harder to get healthy foods. Is it possible to get some frozen fruits or vegetables? Those will keep longer and can help insert some healthier foods into your diet.

Are you and the others you live with able to look for jobs that'll pay more? I know it's hard, I'm just asking because you never know.

Closed Thread