TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

View Poll Results: Choose one of the below (NB 'dance classes' does not include compulsory ones in school)
I have/had an eating disorder and have never taken dance classes. 16 24.62%
I have/had an eating disorder and attend/have attended dance classes, but not ballet. 6 9.23%
I have/had an eating disorder and attend/have attended dance classes inc. ballet. 7 10.77%
I have/had serious issues with body image/food and have never taken dance classes. 6 9.23%
I have/had serious issues with body image/food and attend/have attended dance classes, not ballet. 6 9.23%
I have/had serious issues with body image/food and attend/have attended dance classes inc. ballet. 5 7.69%
I have no/very few issues with food and have never taken dance classes. 7 10.77%
I have no/very few issues with food and attend/have attended dance classes, but not ballet. 3 4.62%
I have no/very few issues with food and attend/have attended dance classes inc. ballet. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 10:54 AM

Hey guys
I'm doing some research which I may or may not include in my work this year- I have to write an essay on some aspect of dance, and one of the options is eating disorders. I found somewhere online a study that said women who had at one point taken dance classes (especially ballet) had worse body images and higher likelihood of eating disorders. It would really help me if you could do this survey (whether you have an eating disorder or not).
Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 10:56 AM

one q...

where's the survey :P
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:02 AM

I was just writing it! Sorry :P

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:05 AM

there you go. (Y)
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:21 AM

Good luck with the essay! :]

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:23 AM

Correlation does not infer causation.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Steph

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
In other words, just because a high number of dancers suffer from eating disorders, it does not mean dance is the cause of eating disorders.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
VanishingActs Offline
~kiss it better~
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Vicki

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:32 AM

Good luck with the essay!

Live on love.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
In other words, just because a high number of dancers suffer from eating disorders, it does not mean dance is the cause of eating disorders.
lol yes. I just gave my psych teacher's automatic response. Ooops!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:34 AM

Yes I understand what correlation AND causation mean thanks :P
I don't think a survey on Teenhelp would ever be accepted as 'proof' of anything. But that's hardly the point, I'm just trying to see if there seems to be any correlation.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:36 AM

I bet there is. Why don't you cite the source you found on the internet of the study because I would imagine it'd look better in a paper.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:48 AM

The study was done on middle aged women, and I was more interested in a younger age group.
As I said in the original post, I may not include this anyway (chances are I won't) but its for my own interest and research into the topic. Thanks.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 11:58 AM

I'm guessing dancers have a lot of pressure on them to do well,be thin and look good.I used to dance,but not anymore

(#14 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 12:00 PM

But then, dancing like modeling also attracts people who are naturally thin and coordinated, like that just their build. Dancer's body.. etc. Maybe the not naturally thin people are pressured not by the dancing itself, but because of their peers.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 12:22 PM

Ballet dancing in particular though, attracts naturally thin CHILDREN. When girls go through puberty they get curves and put on weight, both considered unattractive for dance.
And I think dance definetely places a lot of pressure on people to be slim; or at my college (and others I'm sure), to be in a very specific weight band. Since they worry about eating disorders, the REALLY thin are told to put on weight, but for everyone else (the majority) losing weight is desirable.
There are some colleges who offer places on the condition that you lose a certain amount of weight before you come.. if thats not asking for eating problems to develop what is?

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Heaven Sent, to Help You!
Average Joe

Name: Brooke

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 02:11 PM

In the past I've had an Eating disorder, and currently, I do not and dance. I Don't dance in ballet classes but I do hip-hop and Theatre. I think it's the aspect of the outfits though Because I mean tights and a leotard... are really not appealing if you have to look at yourself in the mirror all the time. and believe me it's ALL the time.

So when you're bored in class, listening to the teacher talk, it's easy to want to sit there in a mirror and point out your flaws.

So where did everyone go?
And you don't even know
So don't pretend that you do

It's just a set up
For all the failures
Always playing after something cool

Send a message via AIM to Brooke Basketcase Send a message via MSN to Brooke Basketcase Send a message via Yahoo to Brooke Basketcase  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 03:18 PM

ED; never took any dance classes.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 03:22 PM

I've never had an eating disorder.
But I did classical ballet for 12 years.
I had/have serious issues with the way I look, compared to a lot of girls I dance(d) with I'm more curvy with hips and boobs, unlike many of the others.
I don't know if it was just me or what... but... yeah.
LOVE x

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Babity Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kaila

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 04:30 PM

I've never experienced any eating disorders or issues and I do a lot of dance ( I do school classes and I'm on the dance team and I try to do as many small dance oppertunities as I can find)

Maybe I'm the oddball in this steryotype lol

Compromise is not a sign of weakness. It is the strength to withstand caving to an ultimatum.
Living with one takes great strength

TH Buddy
VM me
PM me

Last time I cut myself
October 19th, 2012

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Ali Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ali

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 06:27 PM

I have had dance lessons since I was 4 ... up until late last year (11 years)
I did ballet only for about a year... but I didn't like it so I just stuck to tap and jazz.
I do partly blame dancing for my ED... there is just so much pressure. for years i was the only one in my dance class who couldn't cartwheel, touch my toes etc... and I used to really feel I was letting the group down. My dance teacher used 2 push me to do these things but as much as i tried i couldn't ... i would always blame this on my weight...
I have competed in lots of dancing comps... (at least 2 a year since i was 4) and most of the girls I've danced against are really skinny and flexible. and it just put even more pressure on me...
also... the costumes... Lycra :l HATE IT i mean seriously... if ur gunna wear Lycra u mite as well be stepping on stage naked... and if you're even a little worried about how you look... its torture D=
  Send a message via MSN to Ali  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
abbyxoxo95 Offline
Abby
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: abby

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 06:36 PM

i have taken a lot of ballet in my life but i've never had an eating disorder. i think that for some girls when the see professional ballet dancers they see how skinny they are they strive to have that same body. But you have the body you have theres no changing it. skinny, fat, curvy, pudgy. you can be a great dancer and be beautifull doing it no matter what type of body you have.
  Send a message via AIM to abbyxoxo95  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 08:00 PM

I've never taken dance lessons, but I have an ED (undiagnosed because I'm scared of the doctor).

--A

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Slvrdragon1090 Offline
Beauty is the rose
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 08:12 PM

I do have/had eating troubles and body image issues and I used to take dance. With one year of ballet.

The next time you feel down, just remember that Bruce Banner tried to kill himself
and Tony Stark has anxiety attacks, and they've both saved the world. You will be okay.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 18th 2009, 09:30 PM

I wonder if this also applies to gymnasts, jockeys, and possibly runners.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 19th 2009, 04:01 AM

I don't have an ED and I've never taken any dance lessons (never interested me) apart from when we had to in P.El. That was only like 2 hours a week for a month ish.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Marionette. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 19th 2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Vincent View Post
Haha, my biology teacher says exactly that.
I can see where you're coming from. My friends ballet teacher always tell her her hips are too big etc and she's always on different diets.

I have serious issues with food and only took a hip hop class a couple of years ago for about 2 years.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 19th 2009, 04:16 AM

I've had serious body issues/issues with food and still do. Up until I was about 10 I took a lot of dance classes, 3 to be precise.
I did ballet and tap on a saturday all day and on a thursday street dancing after school. This is not including the amount of practice I put in.
I eventually stopped the ballet and tap and continued with the street dancing until I was 14/15.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 19th 2009, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys; it's really interesting.
The survey seems to show not much difference (if any!) between those who have/haven't attended dance classes, but it's interesting that some of you see it as a factor
I agree though; I don't have any real eating issues personally, but tight-fitting costumes and mirrors all day long don't exactly encourage body love..

(#29 (permalink)) Old
myheartbait Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 19th 2009, 04:41 PM

I don't have an ED as such, but I have issues with food and eating and body image. I did a bit of dancing when I was a lot younger, which I didn't like. I also was forced into dancing at school, which I hated. We had to wear this awful leggings and tops, and I felt so... big. All the time. My teacher was horrible. Not a good experience.

"This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath"

On the Radio ~ Regina Spektor

http://www. myspace. com/hid_the_revolution_777

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 26th 2009, 11:37 AM

i said i had serious issues with food and didn't do dance. I went to ballet when i was three, but that doesn't really count, does it?

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#31 (permalink)) Old
stark Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 26th 2009, 11:55 AM

one of the most graceful dancers at my high school was by FAR heavier than any of the twiggy little things that tried to match her. she was built like a rugby player, but damn she could dance.

...of course, there was a lot of pressure at my school NOT to be anorexic, 'cause one of the anorexic dancers actually snapped her tibia during a performance. Bad times and lawsuits followed.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - January 26th 2009, 12:07 PM

Although I was never really into dance, I am very into performing arts, and that may partially be at fault for my ED.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#33 (permalink)) Old
elastic-woman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Survey: Dance and eating disorders, everyone please respond - February 3rd 2009, 08:55 PM

Any environment or sport that is very image-centered or weight-dependent will lead some people to develop unhealthy eating habits. Of course, many other situations (schoolyard bullies, childhood abuse, etc.) will also lead to the same conclusions.
Of course, as has already been stated, correlation does not infer causation! Things like modelling do attract thin, attractive people-- but they are then put under pressure (internal or external) to maintain that image.

Closed Thread