TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Question ED Voice? - February 21st 2010, 04:57 AM

Are eating disorder voices normal? Or do they mean you're crazy? I have one, and she speaks to me a lot. Sometimes she's sarcastic and makes jokes about me and won't stop laughing, other times she's quiet and commanding, and at times she's very angry with me and rips into me. Is this normal?

The unloved one...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: ED Voice? - February 21st 2010, 06:21 AM

I can't say it's normal, because for one, I don't know. For two, voices aren't really considered 'normal'. However, do I have one? Yes. I have two, and I don't think that they mean I'm crazy, just that my ED has a lot of control over my life, including my head. You are not crazy for hearing her, my best friend hears her voice often.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: ED Voice? - February 21st 2010, 01:11 PM

I had one when I was ill.. She used to tell me all sorts, not to eat, that I was fat, that I should of been proud of the hunger pains. She used to control me.

I don't think it means you are crazy, but if you ask anyone who has been through an ED, I'm sure that at some point they probably heard voices to. You think you're in control of the ED but really you're not. This voice proves that if you listen to it - I listened to mine and ended up in hospital!

You're deffinately not crazy for hearing it, but do try and get help beofre it gets worse!!

PM me anytime if you want, Laura xx

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: ED Voice? - February 21st 2010, 01:40 PM

It doesn't make you crazy.. I don't think it's uncommon for someone with an eating disorder to hear a voice. I know when I was at my worst point, there was always a voice in my head telling me to keep pushing myself and such.

I agree with what's been said, though - it's best to get help, to make sure the voice telling you to do unhealthy things doesn't get too controlling, or take over your life.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: ED Voice? - February 22nd 2010, 05:25 AM

It is completely normal. In the treatment center I was in the one thing they stressed was deciphering the eating disorder 'voice' from our own healthy thoughts. The believed that if we could tell the difference the voice would lose more control.

I think it is good that you realize that there is such a thing. From here I think you should consider going in and talking to someone about what is going on. It will be scary but it will help quite a bit.

Best of luck and if you ever want to chat feel free to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: ED Voice? - February 24th 2010, 07:43 AM

Yea it is completely normal for someone with an eating disorder to hear 'voices,' not that it is a good thing, but it does happen. I hear voices, well i'm not sure if they are voices or just some sort of thought that is so strong it can majorly change the way I think!!
Sometimes the voice is really tough and pushing me harder...but basically it just controls my life, which is really annoying!!

Closed Thread