TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
snikkerz123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy how do u lose fat with out getting sick? - February 24th 2010, 03:16 AM

i skip meals in hope of loseing some fat but i know i might end up makeing myself sick so what should i do? tips would be helpful

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: how do u lose fat with out getting sick? - February 24th 2010, 05:05 AM

The simplest answer to that is the healthy way. Skipping meals is not healthy, it's actually pretty dangerous, and can let to you getting sick quickly. The best way to lose weight is to eat right and exercise. Eating less junk food, more healthy foods,drinking water instead of soda, etc.

You might want to talk to your doctor however. You might not need to lose weight at all, and a doctor is the only one who can tell you if you need to. They can also tell you how to do it healthily. There is no quick way to lose weight. You have to take it slow and do it the healthy way, for the weight to stay off.

I hoped this helped.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: how do u lose fat with out getting sick? - February 24th 2010, 07:51 AM

You can lose weight without skipping meals! In fact if you eat healthy at each meal plus light snacks in between, you may lose more weight in the long run. People with eating disorders have to gain weight in the end anyway, but if you do it healthy, you can enjoy losing the weight while still enjoying food and still being able to walk up a flight of stairs without nearly fainting at the top!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: how do u lose fat with out getting sick? - February 24th 2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikkerz123 View Post
i skip meals in hope of loseing some fat but i know i might end up makeing myself sick so what should i do? tips would be helpful
Hi snikkerz123!!

I hope you're having a dandy day.

Welcome to TeenHelp.

It might SEEM logical that if you skip meals you're bound to lose weight - but that's not how it works. Oh sure - you might lose some weight at first - but in the long run - you're body will reject what you're doing and hold on even tighter to whatever stored up fat it has.

You're body is set up [Or 'created' or whatever you want to call it] in such as way that it doesn't need YOU to THINK for it. For instance - if you cut your finger - you don't have to THINK 'body heal my finger'. The body just does it automatically.

When it comes to eating - the body doesn't KNOW when the next meal is coming - even if YOU DO. So when you skip a meal - the body goes into 'protect mode' and holds on TIGHT to as much fat as it can. This is why skipping a meal is a BAD IDEA when it comes to trying to lose fat. Smaller, healthier meals - more often throughout the day [Just like emma01 said in her response to your message] is the best way to lose weight. When you keep food in your stomach - your body doesn't go into 'protect mode' and becomes willing to let go of some of the stored up fat.

I hope that helps!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

Closed Thread