TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mutsy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

how do people make themselves throw up? - March 3rd 2010, 11:35 PM

How do people make themselves throw up. I've been trying (I'm not like bulimic or anything) [Edited by the Disputes Committee] I don't eat breakfast and lunch and my parents give me a lot for dinner so I was hoping there'd be a way to get rid of it...I don't feel like my excersise is enough. I know someones going to put this in the eating disorder category but its not I'm just truly wondering...

Last edited by SimplyComplex; March 9th 2010 at 01:54 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kristin

Re: how do people make themselves throw up? - March 3rd 2010, 11:45 PM

Throwing up is never a good alternative. Since you have tried throwing up, that does make you bulimic. Additionally, since you are not eating breakfast or lunch, that makes you anorexic as well. If you do not get enough nutrients in your body, it begins to fall apart. Believe it or not, not eating actually makes your body worse. Because you are not eating breakfast or lunch, your metabolism is not working correctly. (Metabolism = how quickly your body digests the food you intake)

The less you eat, the more your metabolism shuts down. You can increase your metabolism slightly by eating green tea, but the key is to eat a lot for BREAKFAST, as you burn those calories through your day. If you don't do anything after dinner and just sit around, those calories turn to fat.

Also, exercising without adequate diet is never a good idea. Three years ago, I ate very minimally while exercising for 4-5 hours a day intensely and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing any weight so I saw my doctor and he told me that I wasn't losing weight because I wasn't eating! I was surprised, but it's true.

You should really seek counseling for your eating disorders. Additionally, try talking with your parents about your weight concerns. Tell them that you want to eat less, and you'll be surprised- they just might listen and give you smaller portions or start making healthier meals.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me anytime with questions. =)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: how do people make themselves throw up? - March 4th 2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullofsecrets View Post
Throwing up is never a good alternative. Since you have tried throwing up, that does make you bulimic. Additionally, since you are not eating breakfast or lunch, that makes you anorexic as well.
That's not actually true. What the OP described would be only anorexia, as bulemia involves binge eating and anorexia can involve purging. I also wanted to add that none of us here on the site can diagnose you with any disorder, we can suggest you see a doctor though (which I do) and make an informed guess but we for sure can't say "This means you have that". Just thought I'd clear that up right off the bat.

Everything else Kristen said is right though, you're actually doing more harm than good to yourself with what you're doing to your body. Not eating properly will actually reduce your metabolism which will make it so that when you do eat it'll have a bigger effect on your body (to compensate for your not eating). When you eat your body will store most of it as fat because it believes it's starving and will need to feed on it later on.
Exercising when not eating is also very hard on your body, and this all combined can be fatal in the long run. There are much healthier ways to achieve a desirable weight and the best place to start is your doctor.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
Closed Thread