TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Help? - March 8th 2010, 04:25 PM

Hey guys,
I know i have posted about this in this past, but i really sort of need some advice now.
I'm underweight, i know I'm anemic. I'm always missing my periods (well their just irregular) and it's concerning my mom. It wasn't concerning me now, but it is. I try and eat more, but it doesn't really work? I don't know how to get back up to the proper weight.

My mom thinks its an eating disorder- To me i don't know. I don't have a problem with my appearance really. (other then my teeth being not so straight :/) I WANT to get to the right weight, I'm even scared, because i know it's unhealthy. The only times i don't eat is because I'm stressed/upset.

Any ideas what this could be? I know you are not doctors but any advice would be more then grateful.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Help? - March 8th 2010, 04:31 PM

Hey Angelina,

It doesn't sound like you're starving yourself with the intention of losing weight. To me, it sounds like you're using food as an unhealthy coping mechanism--when you're upset, you don't eat. Whether or not that's an eating disorder, the point is, it's not good. It sounds like you're aware that it's unhealthy and dangerous, which is good--awareness and understanding is key!

Since you've tried to gain weight and aren't able to, I'd say the best thing you can do is see a doctor. Your mom sounds very understanding, so talk to her about it--let her know that you're concerned as well and want to get back to a healthy spot for your body. See if she'll take you to a doctor, and/or dietitian, who can work with you to figure out how your eating habits need to change in order to get your body to a healthy spot.

In the meantime, make sure that when you're stressed or upset, you still eat. You might lose your appetite, but eat what you can--eat comforting foods, or foods that are easy to go down. It's essential that you're eating regularly--try to cope with other ways (like talking to your mom, writing in a blog, etc.) and hopefully those ways can replace starvation.

Take good care of yourself.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Help? - March 8th 2010, 04:32 PM

It's always possible that you could have an ED. Do you obsess over calorie intake and food? Even the fact that you spend time trying to eat and gain weight could be an ED. If you don't have a problem with your appearance then you might not have one.

As far as food and normal weight goes, I reccomend that you see a nutrionist. They will help plan a healthy diet that's right for your body type. They form your diet for you.

I hope I helped some.
PM me if you need anything.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Help? - March 8th 2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsee View Post
It's always possible that you could have an ED. Do you obsess over calorie intake and food? Even the fact that you spend time trying to eat and gain weight could be an ED. If you don't have a problem with your appearance then you might not have one.

As far as food and normal weight goes, I reccomend that you see a nutrionist. They will help plan a healthy diet that's right for your body type. They form your diet for you.

I hope I helped some.
PM me if you need anything.
Thats the thing.. I dont obsess over calorie intake on food. I actually just eat whatever i want I even seem to eat unhealthy sometimes (too much sweets, ect)
The only times i dont eat is when im stressed and stuff, and its because i loose my appetite. and i dont know how.

Thanks for the advice guys.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Help? - March 9th 2010, 07:48 PM

I'm in the same sort of position as you and i have been for a very long time, since i was a young child. I've never been what is considered to be a 'normal, healthy' weight but i'm 17 and still alive so i guess it can't be as bad as everyone is making out. I know being underweight has problems, but i've tried so many things to gain weight but i am anemic and have an unusually high metabolism which means the stuff i eat doesn't get processed in the same way as other people and therefore there's little time to retain much fat in my body. I'm not going to lie and say it's not a problem because i am insecure about the way i look, and it is possible to have an ED being naturally underweight and wanting to be bigger. I obsess over my food intake due to sheer fear of actually losing weight. It's not a good thing to do. Obessing over anything can happen instantly and it's a difficult cycle to break.

As long as you eat, i.e: your main meals a day plus snacks etc, and you do regular exercise - it just means your body was made to be like this. No one can fault you for that, it's like faulting 'God's work' if you think about it from a religious point of view. Tell other people to back off, that their constant worrying is making YOU worry and therefore stressing you out to the point you don't feel hungry.

I agree about seeing a dietician though, they can help you in regards to your anemia and etc so that you don't have to keep taking iron tablets and stuff. They'll recommend a diet specifically suited to your needs.

Take care x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Help? - March 9th 2010, 09:25 PM

I am going to add that i haven't been very active. I have been in a hospital with my Mom since February 13th, as she has broken her neck, So of course i don't do any physical exercise. Most of the time I'm just sitting here on my laptop all day. Sometimes i just eat Lunch, and Dinner with a snack. I have never really ate breakfast.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Help? - March 10th 2010, 04:16 AM

Hey Angelina,

Could you try adding a small breakfast? Or even adding in more snacks? If you are underweight and losing weight, you need to keep eating to retain the weight you do have.Talking to a doctor would be your best bet right now, you might just not be able to gain weight. But you could try eating more protein, and higher caloric foods. Protein is actually really good for you, and it can help you gain weight.

Just hang in there.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Help? - March 10th 2010, 05:22 AM

Thanks you guys. Your help is very appreciated.

Closed Thread