TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iDream Offline
Cartoon Junkie
Average Joe

Name: Kimberly

I don't think so. Maybe? - March 26th 2010, 12:38 AM

A friend of mine is concerned I might have an eating disorder. I don't think I do, though.

I know I'm not anorexic. I love food and don't think I'm fat. In fact, I know I'm underweight and that scares me sometimes. I'm not bulimic, I don't purge then vomit/take laxatives or whatever. I can't stand throwing up, it makes me feel dirty, and don't even get me started on how I feel about the end result of laxatives...

I mean, yeah, I don't eat much. I've gone over 24 hours without eating before I realized it. I'm just, well, poor I guess. I spend all my money on gas money to get to school and fast food since I don't have a kitchen atm, all I have is a mini fridge and a microwave. How I love being a college student. :b

Like I said, I love food, but it's so much of a hassle to me to eat I guess. I don't know. I know I'm unhealthy. My body always feels so weak and I'm so tired all the time. The other day, I actually had a decent sized breakfast and lunch thanks to a friend, but I got so sick afterward like my body was freaking out over how much I ate, which makes me think "Maybe?"

Thoughts? :[

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lena

Re: I don't think so. Maybe? - March 26th 2010, 01:04 AM

Given that you don't seem to have any body image issues, I don't think you have an eating disorder. However, I do think you should eat a lot more than you are right now. My sister's in med school and I know where you're coming from, but it's really important that you take care of yourself and be as healthy as possible. Just to be on the safeside, you should check with your doctor to make sure you don't have any serious medical problems. Hope this helps.
  Send a message via AIM to SomewhereOnlyWeKnow Send a message via Skype™ to SomewhereOnlyWeKnow 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
I'm sorry you lost.
TeenHelp Addict

Re: I don't think so. Maybe? - March 26th 2010, 10:47 AM

Well, you don't seem to show the typical signs of an eating disorder (namely, negative views of your weight/body), but you're obviously having some concerns about your eating habits, which shows that you should think about them, and consider changing them.
Consulting a doctor might be a good idea to help with that.

Good luck.
xx

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: I don't think so. Maybe? - March 26th 2010, 03:33 PM

tho you might not be the exact definition of an eating disorder, you have to recognize that it is very important to eat. i know it may seem hard, but healthy food isn't that hard to come by, just go to the organic section of your local grocery store and shop there. you need to eat, and you need to eat healthy. it's not as bad as it seems.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I don't think so. Maybe? - March 27th 2010, 12:45 AM

I don't think you have an eating disorder. But I do think you need to do something about the way that you're eating. Even if you put an alarm on your phone or something that says "time to eat now". Since your body isn't used to having a lot of food, I would slowly start to work up to decent sized meals. Maybe just start by having some salads and soups etc. as meals, so that your body doesn't feel so sick afterwards.

Also if money is the issue, then I'm sure there are some programs or something running to help college students who don't have enough money to buy food. Food is a necessity and you'll never do your best work at college without it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: I don't think so. Maybe? - March 27th 2010, 05:52 PM

Hey there,

Sounds like a classic case of 'stomach shrinking' where said individual's stomach shrinks due to a decrease in the amount of food in which they intake; consequently leading to that nauseaus/bloated feeling after a meal of a regular portion size.

Just to reiterate what people have been saying; it is HUUUUGELY important you start to eat normally now. By that i mean your main meals a day, specific min. requirement of calories etc. I know life as a student is tough but that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your health. Start by cutting down the amount of electricity you use. You don't really need a tv, and all of that jazz, do you? Also, you don't need a tumble drier..that uses up a lot of electricity too. There are lots of alternatives!

Anyway hopefully with the money you save, you can go and get better quality, healthy and nutritious foods. There are places where you can buy fruit/veg for really inexpensive prices, and you'd be surprised how many recipes you can create with just the basic foods such as eggs, wheat products, and fruit/veg. Live on value brands! Sometimes they are just as good, so don't use that 'food is expensive' as an excuse for not cooking good quality meals! You need to take care of your health now otherwise what is a university degree good for, if you are not well enough to put it to good use?

Take care, good luck

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

Closed Thread