TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Question Do I need help with this?? - April 15th 2010, 09:08 PM

ok, so I have had issues with my eating for a while, and I'm back to old habits again.
I have made a conscious decision to stop eating, and have now only had one meal a day every day this week. I saw a trusted teacher on Monday and didn't say a word about the eating but the first thing she said to me was that i had lost weight..too much weight. according to the scales I have not lost weight, but after she mentioned it I realised that my clothes have been looser. when she told me that tho my first response was yes great! I like the feeling...even though it wasnt good. I want to lose weight and i like the feeling of not eating...what do you guys think? sound like an ED? what should I do?

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 15th 2010, 10:46 PM

It definately sounds like an ED, you really should get help for this because if it goes on for too long, you will definately regret it! What you are doing is not healthy for your body, please try and stop these bad habits now before they take over your life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 15th 2010, 11:22 PM

It definitely does sound like very disordered thinking and behaviors. I would encourage you to talk to someone--maybe your teacher, even. It's good to have support from people because you don't want this to get out of hand. The thing with EDs is that they are extremely tricky, and even if you think that you won't let it get out of control, chances are, it will. Please talk to someone about what's going on--what you're thinking, what you're doing, etc., and get help before it's too late!

Let me know if you need anything.
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 16th 2010, 11:21 AM

What do I say to her? I'm scared about talking about it. they know I have gone through periods of not eating in the past so they may think nothing of it, and I don't even know if they should do anything about it. I can't tell my CPN...I won't. I really don't think this will turn into an ED. But i don't know if that is just denial...
I don't want to stop tho...:s

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 17th 2010, 08:33 AM

The fact you even have to ask on here shows you're worried about it. So there's definitely something not right, and you know that. Next step is to do something about it. I can understand your reluctance to talk to someone, and the feeling of 'Oh, I'll never let it get that bad', but trust me, it will get worse, and you do need to talk to someone. The sooner the better.

You could just say something like 'Can I talk to you about something personal?'. Chances are she'll know what you want to talk about (after all, she did notice you'd lost weight), and will most likely be very supportive. If people know you've gone through this in the past, it doesn't mean they won't think anything of it - if anything, it will make them more willing to help.

Take care, and good luck. xx

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 19th 2010, 11:39 AM

I have gone through this in the past, but to a much lesser extent. the other problem is how do I explain that to them without it sounding like I'm making a fuss or looking for attention?
I won't let it get bad...
That may not work, because something personal could be a number of things as far as im concerned, like my harming or family issues that she knows about :s
I really don't want to talk about it...it may be nothing after all.

Paramore! <3
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
leo262 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leo

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 19th 2010, 08:31 PM

you should talk, your always telling me to talk so take your own advise pls

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 20th 2010, 03:14 AM

Hey there,

I really wish you would consider talking to someone about all of this. I know how hard it is but believe me when you talk to the right person it feels great. When you open up about the disordered thoughts and what not it gives that 'unhealthy' part of your mind less control. ED feed off of secrecy so open up so that it cannot get stronger and stronger.

I do not think anyone will think any less of you for asking for help and I don't think that they will think you are seeking attention. This was a big fear of mine but none of my friends or family felt that way when I talked to them about it and I am sure it will be the same for you.

Please hang in there and if you need anything do not hesitate to pm me.

Jenna

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 20th 2010, 08:55 AM

Thanks, its just a huge fear that I have had for a while, i hate being labelled as attention seeking or making fuss, and have been in the past by a doctor! and it was because of an eating issue...I just wouldn't know where to start or what to say...or even if I deffinitly need to talk about it with someone. I mean, what can anyone do? like my teacher for example?
Leo you are the first person IRl who knows about this....

Update....I missed my appointment with my CPN this morning, which is really not good cos it was my chance to tell her!

Paramore! <3

Last edited by Nomophobia; April 20th 2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: added update :-)
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
IzzyMonster Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 22nd 2010, 04:41 PM

ah so this is what you wanted me to look at! :/ well im sorry to say you need help!!! and i dont know why you say you need to loose weight because you dont!!! the fact is hun we're all worried about you and you need to start eating again, xxxx

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 22nd 2010, 08:25 PM

Your'e all worried about me? who is we?? Its not that simple. Would you be able to do me a favour...? I will text you about it...basically it involves you helping me to help myself

Paramore! <3
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 22nd 2010, 11:31 PM

I'm glad you're seeking help. If you're having trouble expressing your concerns face-to-face with someone, I've found writing them down in a letter is a great help.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
jellbell Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jell-poo

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 03:46 AM

please dnt go back to old habits movw fwd ok?

fierce&lovee

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks..im freaking out at the moment...my friend spoke to a teacher this morning expressing her concerns and she wants to speak to me at lunchtime! Im so scared! i really don't want to go!!

Paramore! <3
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 09:36 AM

Hi Georgia,
I'm glad you decided to get some help.

I should tell you, yes, it is normal to be scared. Only remember that the first step is the hardest. When you take that first step the others just seem to follow. So put aside your fear, because, more than anything, you want to be healthy right?
And she's only going to speak to you, so keep your chin up and best of luck!!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 09:52 AM

I don't know what to say or what to do though! I don't even know where to start! and if she thinks that im mkaing it up or attention seeking then I will leave straight away and cut! Im so scared

Paramore! <3
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 09:56 AM

Don't get too paranoid. It's alright. Just take a few deep breaths.
Calm yourself. This is one way of tackling the problem. If it doesn't work you can always use some other way.
But right now, you've chosen this way. You already seem to have anticipated what your CPN would say. And if you do think about it, what is the worst that could happen? Take the chance. You're being offered help. Take it.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 10:59 AM

thanks...I will keep you guys posted

Paramore! <3
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 02:12 PM

I was literally dragged to another of the teachers I trust. And it was completly pointless..my friends told her im not eating and she asked when the last time i ate was..i told her after a pause that it has been 4 days. Then she asked me if i was drinking which I am, and then she asked me why. I said because I dont want to and cos i want to lose weight and there are other reasons which i didn't go into. that was it.

I saw the teacher that my friend first went to at the end of lunch and she came over and said that i need to talk, and that if my friends are worried then i need it sorted. she asked me to go see her monday first thing and she said we will talk. I remembered that she is the type of person who will come up with a plan of action...which scares me! Now i have to stress about it all weekend..
I'm pretty sure I don't want to be stopped tho..im not out of control. its helping. so is it really a huge deal.... bleh. i just dont know. but im not surprised that lunch was a waste....cos im used to being let down by adults and people who are supposed to help.

Paramore! <3
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
leo262 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Leo

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 23rd 2010, 08:35 PM

hey thats good, if you wont talk to me about this then im glad your talking to someone, we are all worried about you so pls pls let us all help you.

i hope this a better reply for you as you were complainin about the length of my last one :P

love you xxxxxxxxxx

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do I need help with this?? - April 26th 2010, 08:41 AM

The problem is that i don't want to be helped. I like this feeling! I'm seeing my teacher 2nd lesson today to 'have a chat' i don't know what to say. I hate this.

Paramore! <3
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Question Slightly confused...opinions please :-) - April 27th 2010, 10:57 AM

I saw my CPN today and she had been rung by my school because of me starving myself. As usual she was really nice, but surprisingly, she said that she isn't too worried about my eating. She said that I need to make sure I have brain power for my exams, but other than that she knows it is just a control thing and a way to cope. She is sure that I will start eating again once my exams are over and things ease off. She said that I just need to keep in control of it and hold back from the thoughts surrounding it to make sure it doesnt become an ED.
So basically that has confirmed my thoughts that it is nothing to worry about and I can carry on with it. She is getting me some supplement things from my GP and I'm seeing the head psychiatrist on friday so he can see how things are going, and thats it. I just carry on with what I'm doing.

Now, to be honest, thats not what I was expecting..what do you guys think?

Paramore! <3

Last edited by Nomophobia; April 28th 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Closed Thread