TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Muse

Question Question... - April 23rd 2010, 11:47 AM

I was wondering what support you got from teachers and people in school for your ED? Who helped you and what did they do to help? Negative experiences are welcome too.

For example, one of my friends stopped eating and a teacher of hers had her in every lunchtime to make sure she ate something...:s

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
Pm me anytime, I like to help!
  Send a message via MSN to Nomophobia  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Question... - April 24th 2010, 04:25 AM

Hey! Well some of my friends turned a blind-eye, which wasn't so bad, because at first they commented...on how i was attention seeking, and they thought it was quite funny, when it got a bit more serious they shut up, but started talking behind my back, great friends I know. 2 of my friends stuck with me though. They just knew what to say and when which was nice! Some people told my form teacher who took me away one lunch time and talked to me about it. It was nice she did that.
Now I am eating pretty normaly and they dont really talk any more! Which is nice! But its great to be finaly recovering!!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tiny_93 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Z

Re: Question... - April 24th 2010, 12:58 PM

Like Emma said above, my friends didn't want to know - attention seeking. Something I can totally realte to Emma so I never really spoke to them about it or asked to for any support. I didn't even expect "are you ok?" from them. But teachers on the other hand....

Lets just say I wasn't the most well behaved student at school. I was constantly arguing with teachers and hated it! But, because I'm a very sporty person, I got on well with my PE teacher. She noticed how I was slipping and pulled me aside to ask what was going on (she's helped me through alot of personal things) and I just couldn't lie to her. So I told her, and she gave me so much support, and arranged for me to go to CAMHS, where I saw a psychiatrist. She came to visit me when I was hospitalised, and sat with me for however long it took for me to eat.

Now she's left my school, but we still stay in touch - she's practically my best friend

SH Free since:
22/12/09

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question... - April 26th 2010, 08:34 AM

aww thanks for the replies guys! Emma, its so good to hear you are recovering! keep it up!

I'm glad you posted Tiny, thats really given me confidenct that going to my teacher was a good thing to do. Thats really touching!

"Friends are like stars; you don't always see them but you know they are always there"

"It gives me hope. I love you so much. You give me a reason to breathe. Its something for me to not kill myself for" >>> means so much :')

Paramore! <3
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
.:nat:. Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question... - April 28th 2010, 12:29 PM

Well the first person i ever told was a teacher whom I am extremely close to. He arranged for me to go to the doctors and the doctors arranged for counselling (all of this was happening without my parents knowledge).

I still talk to him about personal things regularly. He keeps me sane

A couple of other teachers guessed it from the way I looked and behaved and they knew from their own personal experiences.

Telling my teacher was probably the best thing i could have done.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question... - April 28th 2010, 02:00 PM

thanks. Another question; Do you guys get dizzy spells? and if you do, did you start to get them and then they kept happening or did you get some and then they stopped?

Paramore! <3
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Question... - April 29th 2010, 08:15 PM

Hey Georgia-louise--let's try to keep the threads on specific topics, okay? So, this thread will continue being about anyone who wishes to answer your question about supports. If you want to start a new thread about the dizzy spells, feel free

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Into.the.Mirror Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cari.

Re: Question... - April 29th 2010, 09:35 PM

I told my counselor about 3 weeks ago, I knew my bulimia was getting worse. Even though I've started getting help, I am getting worse everyday. I am glad I went to talk to her though, even though my ED is no better than when I went in, it is nice to have her to talk to. I do hate it that she asks everytime if I have or am going to talk to my parents, and my heart still pounds everytime I walk into her office. I would call it a positive experience though, atleast someone now knows and I dont have to hide it from her.

Always Feel Free to Message Me... =)

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box. ~Robert Fulghum

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question... - April 30th 2010, 09:47 AM

ok, ye sorry Jen I forgot lol!
Thanks Carissa. I hope things start to improve for you!

Paramore! <3
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Question... - May 1st 2010, 04:29 PM

I used to have lunch with either my drama teacher or my school counsellor when things were very bad. It used to really help because they used to make me food when I was having particularly difficult days, and they would update my parents, too.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nomophobia Offline
Music is my escape
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Question... - May 2nd 2010, 09:12 PM

Thanks for your input Rie

Paramore! <3
Closed Thread