TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Unhappy I'm Scared To Eat - June 17th 2010, 03:02 AM

I really think I'm developing a problem... Remember my last thread about gaining a little weight? Well... I'm so scared to eat anything. I've been trying to eat healthier, but I don't want to eat anything bad... I feel if I eat too many calories I'm going to get really fat or gain more weight and It just scares me. I'll only eat a Lean Cuisine for lunch, or snacks like turkey and cheese cracker lunchables... I really want cake and I'm not allowing myself to eat it... My boyfriend wants to order pizza tonight and I want it, but If I eat it I'm going to worry and freak out and not want to eat anything...

This is making me really unhappy you guys. I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was "I'm fat." I'm really not, but I feel like it and It's turning into a big negative situation for me.

Here's me by the way, as you can see I'm not huge.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Algernon; June 17th 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Added picture
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 17th 2010, 04:41 AM

Hey Holly,

I understand that you are worried about gaining weight but not eating won't help you at all. It slows your metabolism a lot.
The fact that you are trying to eat healthy is great. It is good for your body overall.
Eating junk food is okay, but only in moderation. You won't gain weight as long as you eat the junk food in moderation.
If you feel the urge to eat lots of junk food, then you can eat some strawberries instead.
But don't deprive yourself of junk food at all.
You're really pretty and you definitely aren't fat.
If you need to write encouraging messages to yourself on sticky notes and put them on the mirror.
Go buy a cute shirt that makes you feel great about yourself.

Last edited by Kitty.; June 17th 2010 at 07:11 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

June 17th 2010, 05:23 AM

Okay here's the deal... I went through the same thing... I was afraid I was going to get fat if I ate anything at all, specially things that weren't exactly considered healthy. What you do is eat when your hungry, no matter when it is. Always try to stick to your 3 meals a day and 2 snacks but you don't always have to... I eat every couple of hours, but I eat smallish portions and i rotate my nutrition... like in the morning I'll eat a smallish bowl of cerial... and maybe an apple if im still hungry... and in like 3 hours I'll eat a chicken sandwich and some salad... then 2 hours I'll eat a brownie lols.... and then in 4 hours I'll eat dinner with my fruites and veggis and lean meat... then later i'll eat a little bowl of icecream... Just listen to your body and never forego eating when you are hungry...ever... sometimes when i want something unhealthy and I know i shouldn't... i eat a piece of fruit first... and wait for 30 minutes... if im still hungry or i still have my craving I will eat what I want the trick of it is to eat slow... You don't have to deprive yourself at all... just listen to your hunger sygnals, thats the important thing... then soon you will separate a random craving from actual hunger... eating more often will actually speed up your metabolism and help you stay trim in the long run... and just focus on moving whenever you can. That will keep you fit... don't be afraid of pizza, or icecream, or chocolate... or anything like that... just do your best to eat more good for you food than bad for you food. Remeber it takes about 20 minutes or so for your body to tell your mind that you are full... so slow... plus focus on drinking a lot more water and you'll be ayOK! sometimes our body says to eat when we get dehydrated. I do my best to drink good for me beverages. I only drink small amounts of caloric beverages, but the magority of the time you'll see me with a glass of water. Don't worry so much. I'm a recovered anorexic and bulimic... so i kno what it's like to be scared, but don't. It's okay, I promise. You won't gain weight by eating a piece of pizza. Don't not let yourself have any yummy stuff. Yummy stuff is good for the soul (that's what my boyfriend says), if it's in small amounts. And even if you eat a lil too much of somethin cuz it just taste so darn good, that's okay too... slippin up is ok. it's actually normal. Sometimes I go on chocolate binges. Well not really a binge... I eat one of those big bars hehe... But eating healthy afterwards will balance it out. If you punish yourself, your more apt to eat more in the long run cuz ur depressed you screwed up... you didn't screw up tho, you just enjoyed yourself. You don't have ot be a crazy health nut to be healthy, just do your best. And for exercize, personally, I crank up the music and dance around my room haha, and lift a little weights... u don't have to work out a ton either... just keep movin when you can and when your tired, sit. It's all good, and don't worry, ur mighty purdy.

oh and if you like tea... drink herbal tea whenever you can... hot green tea helps you burn fat... and it makes you fuller cuz it's nice and warm... I usually drink this in the morning and before bed, just cuz it makes me happy and relaxed.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥

Last edited by Casey.; June 18th 2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Merging.
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 17th 2010, 03:50 PM

Hey Holly,

Remember, when you eat, your body's metabolism stays up so that you continue burning calories and fat. When you restrict, your metabolism slows down, so you're actually more likely to gain weight. As long as you are eating balanced meals throughout the day, your body is going to keep you at a relatively constant weight. You can trust your body.

In terms of the junk food--depriving yourself entirely just sets you up for a binge. I'm sure lots of people here can tell you that when they restricted, or didn't let themselves have a specific food, they often ended up binging on it, or on other things. Allow yourself to have junk food in moderation--nothing bad will come from it. Nobody ever ate a few cookies and gained a lot of weight just from that. You know?

Take good care of yourself--tell yourself that you are beautiful, even if you don't believe it. Just start doing positive self-talk, it goes a long way.

<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 18th 2010, 03:12 AM

Holly,

You are beautiful, just the way you are. I understand being scared to eat, I was for a very long time. As everyone else said, denying yourself food will not help you lose weight. It will only slow your body down and put it into starvation mode, so that it will store weigh, and make it appear like you gained weight. It's okay to eat cake every now and then. Some sweets won't harm you, even eating a small amount every day wouldn't hurt you. The key is to eat it in moderation. Just hang in there Holly.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
ocean*girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Eve Elizabeth

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 18th 2010, 03:11 PM

Hi,
You look great! Think of it this way, food is your fuel. Most of what you eat is used, not stored. You have to eat to stay healthy & keep your metabolisim going.
Prayers,
~Eve

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 18th 2010, 03:45 PM

hey! let me tell you how good you look first
as they said, and as far as I'm concerned, if you don't allow yourself to eat something, all you want to eat is that; I can say that because it has happened to me and it's still happening; for example I used to love bread, when I developed my ED carbohydrates scared me away (calories blah blah) so I gave up on eating bread, it worked for the time my "anorexic diet" lasted, but then I developped bulimia, and I'd eat all the bread I had been denying to myself, freaking amounts of it, you know, and same thing goes to cake and cookies (and sugary food mostly).
It's good to move, exercising is great for your body and for your mind but always moderately
Another problem that can come from "healthy healthy healthy" is orthorexia so remember that you're always allowed to skip exercise and eat junk food now and then (note: I'm not telling to do it that often!)
if you need to talk to someone, feel free to pm
All the best xx

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: I'm Scared To Eat - June 19th 2010, 02:12 AM

Thanks everyone... I've been able to eat a little more since having all your feedback. The anorexic diet as you Esther mentioned is what I was doing... I'm not doing that anymore. I'm a little fatter than in the photo, but that's still what I look like...

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread