TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Thumbs down It's Strengthening - June 29th 2010, 01:22 AM

So, I've been gaining weight, which is a good thing for me as I used to be underweight. Now I'm average weight, which scares me.

Also, lots of eating disorder talk lately has been going on and it's triggering me. As well as my strange cravings for foods. Normally I have a craving but these cravings are to the point I HAVE to get that food or I can't sleep or I cry because I want it so much.

And because of this, I'm eating a lot more than normal as well as gaining more and more weight.

A friend commented on me gaining weight, whereas she said it looks great but she is also one who has become anorexic.

Anyways, so recently I've found myself not eating and exercising a lot more. Like, I know it's bad. I know there are healthy ways to do it. But it almost feels like I'm brainwashed because of two of my old best friends. They both are proana and are heavy into it.

I've been looking for a psych to go to, but it's tougher than you'd think. And then there's my boyfriend who comments on my weight gain as well. But he's not mean, he just makes it a statement.

So I guess I want to know your experiences and thoughts that might help me. As well as how do I stop ana from taking control?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: It's Strengthening - June 29th 2010, 02:36 AM

Hey there,

You need to keep in mind WHY you are recovering. What are your motivations? What's the point of recovery? Review those things all the time. Don't let there be any other option except for recovery. Hold tight to your beliefs.

In terms of your cravings--it IS normal for the body to crave foods after a period of food deprivation. Try to tune into what your body is telling you. There is nothing wrong with eating all sorts of foods--but pay attention to your hunger and full signals, and see if you're truly hungry (and if you are--eat! Feed your body until it is full), or if it's your body craving more of a food when your belly is telling you it's full. I promise that the cravings WILL subside--but only if you allow your body a chance to re-regulate! If you go back to starving, the cravings will only intensify the next time you stop using behaviors. It's a cycle, you know? And right now, even though it's hard, you have a total opportunity to break this cycle.

You can do this!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: It's Strengthening - June 29th 2010, 09:22 AM

Hey. Well it is good to hear you have been trying so hard to recover, and now it is ashame that your friends are getting you to want to go back to your old habits.
About the cravings, yea it is really normal, people do get cravings and giving into these will not make you blow up like a balloon. But they may make you feel bad and obviously it is not very healthy, so what you need to do is not deprive yourself of these goods, let yourself have some chocolate in a day, also dont deny yourself of it...if you know you want biscuits...have ONE! It wont hurt, it will make you feel satisfied that you have had your biscuit
I am really not sure how to offer advice on your friends, but if you are in a big group of friends, try to (not in a rude way) avoid your anorexic friends. I do not know myself because the society I am in, Anorexia is very very rare, I am the only one in my school anyway, but I do have a friend who is depressed and she only sometimes eats lunch. The stupid thing is, is that she gave me so much crap for not eating, she laughed at me and said "You're going to be one of those Ano kids with ribs sticking out" Its friends like that you dont need, so I actually avoided her because she was making it so much harder for me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Open my eyes
Average Joe

Name: Esther

Re: It's Strengthening - June 29th 2010, 03:28 PM

This happened to me as well, those cravings... and the binge after them.
There's something you should have in your mind: you're recovering, don't look that much at your weight for the moment, what you want is o be ok, and remember to have 3 meals a day with 2 snacks in between if possible.
Remember as well there aren't forbidden foods, what's more, try to eat a bit of everything a day. With moderation it's gonna be ok, and gradually the cravings will go away.
Don't give up, recovery from ED is one of the hardest things a person could do, and just because of trying it, you're being very brave.
Just do your best, no one can ask you for more.
All the best xx

Fear Cuts Deeper Than Knives

"And if you told me 'go to the hell', I'd tell you I know pretty well that place"
  Send a message via MSN to Ess The Morgenstern * Send a message via Skype™ to Ess The Morgenstern * 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: It's Strengthening - June 29th 2010, 03:32 PM

Thank you guys. You're right. It IS okay to feed my cravings. As long as I don't eat so much I'm sick :P . I should start moderating my food though. Like, the 3 meals a day and two snacks. Maybe when I get cravings I should wait and then have it as my snack.

=] Ahh thank you. This was a simple solution, but I just got blind-sighted by, well, ana.

Anyways, I'm going to make a grocery list with some healthy yummy foods and some of the things I've been craving.

Thanks again!!

Closed Thread