TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Eating Disorders If you or someone close to you is struggling with an eating disorder, reach out here to ask questions or to receive support for recovery.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cecelia Offline
Not a n00b

Exclamation how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 12th 2010, 05:15 AM

my aunt is anorexic and or bulemic. her husband neil causes part of this and is no help when it comes to supporting her and helping her through this. he is out of work and does nothing but drink all night and sleep all day. he blames her for her problems and yes its partially her fault but he plays a large part in this. she hardly ever eats and when she does she purges it all. ive been trying to help her understand that she has an issue but she blames it on her meds and tells me to stay out of it. im concerned for her 8 year old son who constantly tells us that he is fat and needs to watch what hes eating. hes not over weight at all. how do i protect my cousin from my aunts issues and how do i make my aunt realize she has an issue???

Last edited by cecelia; August 12th 2010 at 10:44 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 12th 2010, 09:14 AM

Hey, first of all you aren't allowed to mention numbers on here because it can be very triggering, so if you read this before the mods come on, could you edit it out The moderators will do that for you though if you do not.

And do your parents know she is like this? She is very underweight and needs help now! You need to talk to someone (not her husband) and if she wont listen to you, maybe she will listen to someone more her own age. Its horrible that her 8 year old son is like that, an 8 year old shouldnt have to worry. Its such a shame she is like this and she does realy need help. Hope you can sort this out with her.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cecelia Offline
Not a n00b

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 12th 2010, 10:47 AM

ahh thanks didnt know about da numbers srry and ay everyone knows they can all see it it very noticeable. none really cares tho they all either dont wanna deal with it or they think she doin it to get attention which she is partially. some of us have tried to talk to her but she gets really defensive shes really difficult when it comes to her weight.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 12th 2010, 01:35 PM

Well, you're absolutely right to be worried about her son. Sadly it's been shown that children with anorexic parents are far more likely to develop anorexia themselves than parents without. And 8 is an awful age to develop a mindset like that, since a child is still growing and developing and badly needs nutrition.

The problem with an ed is that it's almost impossible to convince someone it's an issue. I wish I knew too as I have a few friends with the same problem. =/ Don't feel she's doing it to get attention or being silly and it's her fault though, an ED is something that is extremely difficult to break out of. However, doing something is better than nothing. Supporting her and trying to help her realize might not seem like it's working, but it still helps. Keep trying to talk to her, hope things do get better.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
cecelia Offline
Not a n00b

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 12th 2010, 08:57 PM

thanks im trying gonna see her today hoping we'll get a chance to talk.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Sarahh9 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Sarah

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 13th 2010, 05:44 AM

People dont listen to people younger than them, even though we know a lot more than expected a lot of the time. Have you thought about telling your parents what you know? If she wont listen to you she is more likely to listen to someone her own age. I dont think the problems of an adult should become that of a fourteen year old. Tell anyone who might be able to convince her she has a problem. I really hope things work out for you!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cecelia Offline
Not a n00b

Re: how to help someone realize they hav an issue - August 13th 2010, 07:50 AM

um my ma knows she can SEE it everyone can. its very obvious. my ma just seems to be caught up in her own problems. she thinks my aunt is doing this on purpose to get attention. so iom afraind for now its just me.

Closed Thread