TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Eating Disorders (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/)
-   -   Motivating yourself to eat (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f15-eating-disorders/t54844-motivating-yourself-eat/)

Union Of V September 13th 2010 04:32 PM

Motivating yourself to eat

I was unsure which forum to put this in but I figured this one would give the largest response.

Does anyone have tips on motivating yourself to start eating again? They would be really helpful :) Thanks.

Casey. September 14th 2010 06:39 AM

Re: Motivating yourself to eat

It really depends on the reason you weren't eating before. If you weren't eating because of body image/ED issues, it's a bit trickier. You have to make your mind believe that you need the food and that you are fine just as you were. If it was for another reason altogether, then it might be simpler.

Say, if you just couldn't find the time or energy to eat, you could try setting a schedule, a set schedule would work for either actually, but plan a time to eat, and plan what you are going to eat, then stick to it. Or, tell yourself that you need food, that you need to take a study break and eat something so that you can focus. Also, leave reminders for yourself.

I hoped this helped a little, and made some sense since it's late. xD

emma01 September 14th 2010 07:45 AM

I also think it depends on what stage you are at now? For example, if you are extremely underweight, cold all the time and have no energy...in other words at a later stage of the eating disorder, then it may be a bit harder but you can find ways to remember the good times you had when you were young, and when you had so much energy and felt so good, maybe that could encourage you to get your lovely old life back.
If you are at an early stage it is a lot easier to recover, but you may not see such a reason to recover as you may not be physically bad. But a good motivation trick is to just think...i'm not feeding my thighs, I am feeding my brain and giving myself energy. If you understand what I mean? Hope I helped. Good Luck! xx

Union Of V September 14th 2010 09:35 AM

No, I've only been undereating for a forthnight since I left home, and I don't think it's a time issue either - I do cook full meals, I just wind up throwing most of it away. Tbh I don't know why I do it, it just doesn't feel natural to eat anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emma01 (Post 478807)
If you are at an early stage it is a lot easier to recover, but you may not see such a reason to recover as you may not be physically bad. But a good motivation trick is to just think...i'm not feeding my thighs, I am feeding my brain and giving myself energy. If you understand what I mean? Hope I helped. Good Luck! xx

That's actually a very good suggestion :) I'll keep that in mind, although it may not start working until I'm actually attending lectures and not just wasting my days away.

Moyshi September 16th 2010 03:42 PM

I agree with Emma. Thinking things like, "My body needs food to stay heathy", "I need to eat to have energy and be healthy." Being healthy is very important to me, so that usually helps motivate me to eat.

Maybe just trying to change your mindset can help you eat a bit more. Take care. :]