TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 10th 2012, 08:59 AM

My general "routine", is that I'll go to bed somewhere between 4am and 7am or 8am at the latest, and get up in the late afternoon about 5pm. That's on days which I don't have any things such as lectures or other appointments. It's not that I'm lazy or particularly disorganised, it's just what works for me. During the day there's too much noise and disruption for me to really go about my business efficiently. At night it's mostly quiet and people don't call you and knock on your door constantly then. Also I like to work-out a bit in my room... so lower temperatures at night help with that.

Anyway... I gotta start getting up at 7am from now on. I haven't got a problem with doing it except for this... I have extremely dry and tired eyes, always, when I get up in the morning. It's so bad it can literally send me to sleep within 1 hour of getting up. I fell asleep in my chair eating breakfast several times. Perhaps it's the shock of daylight when I first wake up? Don't know. It can continue until 2pm or 3pm even. It's disruptive and I just don't have time for this shit lol...

It's not really tiredness that's the issue, I think it's more the eyes. They just close by themselves.

Any ideas how to deal with this???
(P.S... coffee doesn't help my eyes or tiredness much, I've tried but it doesn't really work unless I OD and then I'm hyper with sore eyes and totally die 30 minutes later)

I'm dropping into the doctor's later today to discuss some other things, so I'll bring this up. Maybe there are some eye drops for problems like these. I'm also going to ask him if I can get sleeping pills, because when I try to go to bed at a "normal" time like even 1am, it can take me as long as 3 hours to fall asleep (yesterday I went to bed at 2am and fell asleep at about 4am). I hate the idea of taking pills for things like this... but like I said there's little time for me to be messing about at the moment. If I need it I'll take it, if I don't I won't.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; May 10th 2012 at 09:05 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kyle

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 10th 2012, 04:25 PM

ok, well some suggestions of mine, is you may have to ease into it. Seeing as your not used to going to sleep at a normal time, it is hard for you to fall asleep... your body just isn't used to it. Sleeping pills may not be nessasary, I think your body just needs to adjust to it. be sure to keep you scedule ALWAYS (yes, weekends) so that it'll be easier to convert to this new style. Also, you can always try monring showers (cold especially) if you don't already do that. as for a side note, you can get over the conter(non perscriptian) pills that help you go to sleep and get a good sleep, called Melatonin. I use it and it helps me sleep, but it may not be right for you. regardless, in the US it is over-the-counter, so it should be ok.yes, definitely talk to your docter, and I hope you get to your scedule. One suggestion though.... don't do energy drinks. for daily ruteins, it is VERY bad for you, and you might build up a depandence. well, I hope all goes well!

If you ever need it, I'm here to help, talk, or whatever! ~~Kyle
Suicide helplines:
1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  Send a message via Yahoo to ♥Bliz  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 10th 2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmn483 View Post
ok, well some suggestions of mine, is you may have to ease into it. Seeing as your not used to going to sleep at a normal time, it is hard for you to fall asleep... your body just isn't used to it. Sleeping pills may not be nessasary, I think your body just needs to adjust to it. be sure to keep you scedule ALWAYS (yes, weekends) so that it'll be easier to convert to this new style. Also, you can always try monring showers (cold especially) if you don't already do that. as for a side note, you can get over the conter(non perscriptian) pills that help you go to sleep and get a good sleep, called Melatonin. I use it and it helps me sleep, but it may not be right for you. regardless, in the US it is over-the-counter, so it should be ok.yes, definitely talk to your docter, and I hope you get to your scedule. One suggestion though.... don't do energy drinks. for daily ruteins, it is VERY bad for you, and you might build up a depandence. well, I hope all goes well!
I got myself "Nytol" pills for sleeping today. I don't intend to use them unless I need them.

And about adjusting into a new routine... I know what you mean, but it's harder than that. Even when I'm trying for several weeks, it's still difficult to get to sleep. It's always been the case that my body seems to "wake up" properly at about 3pm at the earliest. I'm buzzing at 10pm, 11pm, midnight. Unless I'm doing something extraordinarily boring, I won't fall asleep. The few times I've managed to fall asleep at 10pm was when reading some law & management garbage for online tests and crap like it.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 10th 2012, 05:23 PM

It will be difficult for you to get to sleep at a much earlier hour because the time you regularly go to sleep depends on 3 main factors: environmental stress, sleep drive and circadian clock. Environmental stress involves any loud noises or stressing over something for the next day. Perhaps at an earlier hour, there is still noise where you live. As people maintain a constant sleep schedule, they will often stress out not because there's something they have to do the next day, rather they stress out since they're used to stressing out at that particular time. Sleep drive is basically your natural feeling of tiredness. Some of this is dependent on temperature because as people enter REM sleep, body temperature increases.

Circadian clock is a set of physiological mechanisms all throughout your body that regulate body functions normally outside conscious control, such as digestion, heart-rate, etc... . In animals as well as humans, there is a phenomenon of light entrainment, meaning the time people or animals go to sleep depends on the amount and timing of light. Some animals are less affected by this, unfortunately humans are not one of them. These processes don't change at the flip of a switch, they take weeks or sometimes months.

Your body "waking up" at a certain time is due to your circadian clock. It's surprising how precise it can be. An option for your tired eyes is eye cream that has caffeine. There's plenty of them and since we're across the pond, I'm not sure what's available in your area but take a trip to the pharmacy and you should find some.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 10th 2012, 07:36 PM

I had similar problems when I switched to an early morning schedule. I was never up quite as late as you, but I would generally fall asleep around 3 am and then wake up around noon. Now I have to get up around 6 am every morning for work.

First of all, I started going to bed much earlier. No, I never fell asleep any earlier, and even now I'll find myself awake for a long time. But I heard somewhere that 2 hours of rest = 1 hour of sleep, so even if you're just laying in bed watching TV or doing a crossword puzzle or whatever you like to do during quiet times that should help a little. So try doing that If I were you, I would do that for a few hours and then do a work out, because the physical exercise should help make you more tired.

Sleeping pills are an option if you feel you have insomnia, but I wouldn't really recommend them. Your staying up late is a difference of schedule, not a sleeping disorder, so it should be the not-so-simple matter of switching your schedule. Besides, sleeping pills don't work for everyone anyway.

Now, for your eyes. My eyes are naturally dry and I use normal lubricating eye drops to help. Get ones without medication in them, so you can use them as often as you want. If you have glasses but don't normally wear them, start wearing them because it will reduce the strain on your eyes, which eventually will help relieve your symptoms.

I've never found caffeine to be any help at all. Perhaps candy? Not sure if you would want to go for that quick sugar rush, since you'll crash after it, but if you're desperate you might want to give that a try.

I'm on a better falling asleep schedule and I still can't get up on time in the morning. If I wake up at 7, I can handle it. Any earlier, and I simply can't. Today I even sleepwalked to turn my alarm clock off and then woke up an hour late x.x That being said, I think some people just aren't meant to be up at certain hours. But, I feel this works to your advantage - you're sometimes awake at the hour you're getting up, even if it's when you would typically be going to sleep. So waking up shouldn't be the problem - just staying awake. And unfortunately, that's something that just comes with time.

One last bit of advice - don't slip into old habits on days off (unless it's for two weeks or more). It will take so much longer to adjust if you do. Compromises are good for that, though - for you I would suggest my 3am - noon schedule for sleeping as a halfway point. This way it's like a reward for surviving on a strange schedule, but it won't throw you totally off track either.

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 11th 2012, 08:14 AM

Dry eyes - eye-drops will probably be the most helpful thing here, though I found pressing a dampened, warm flannel (facecloth) to closed eyes for 30 seconds to a minute helped. (My eyes get really itchy, it's more of a hayfever thing but they do dry out from time to time.)

For sleep - you basically need to reset your bodyclock, which is hard. But there's a few things that help - one is having a warm shower or bath about 30 minutes before you intend to go to bed. The warmth raises your body temperature whilst in the shower (duh) and then over the next 30 minutes to an hour, your body temperature gradually decreases. This is important because a drop in body temperature is one of the things that signals to your mind that it's time to sleep now.
Also do not exercise within 4 hours of going to bed, as the rush and the endorphins are counterproductive. It's great to tire yourself out physically, but it needs to be done in a timely manner so that your mind isn't buzzing when you lay down.

As for the excessive trouble falling asleep, that's geniunely a see-a-doctor thing. Taking 3 hours to fall asleep is probably outside the range of anything OTC helping, and you may have underlying issues preventing you from sleeping.

Also, for getting yourself awake in the morning - get yourself a daylight-toned lightbulb. These are relatively expensive from memory, but sitting in light that's the same tone as daylight sends your brain wake-up signals, and helps you stay alert through breakfast, at least. It's also important to make sure that the room you're sleeping in is as dark as possible during the times you intend to sleep.

Good luck with stuff, you'll probably find that just having a reason to be awake at 7am helps you stay awake. =]

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 11th 2012, 10:44 AM

Managed to get up at 10am today and stay up. Not too bad.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 11th 2012, 01:23 PM

congrats! now you just needa do 1,000,000 times. xD

Suicide helplines:
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 13th 2012, 06:13 AM

10am yesterday too, but I crashed at midday and slept till 3pm.

Today 7am. I hope I don't die of it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
♥Bliz Offline
Frosted but not frozen
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 14th 2012, 01:32 PM

Good luck! I know you'll find your way somehow!

Suicide helplines:
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 14th 2012, 05:27 PM

Sometimes doing something SUPER boring for a couple hours before bed can help... like reading a boring book, doing homework, listening to an audio book, etc. I find that boring myself to sleep can be useful, or NOT sleeping and making myself stay awake until the next night-- I can crash early and wake up bright and early the next morning.

Good luck

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 14th 2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
or NOT sleeping and making myself stay awake until the next night-- I can crash early and wake up bright and early the next morning.

Good luck
I tried that lol. It doesn't always work for some reason. I can still keep going regardless until 3am or so.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Getting up in the Morning.. sucks - May 14th 2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDF View Post
I tried that lol. It doesn't always work for some reason. I can still keep going regardless until 3am or so.
Impressive. lol.

Closed Thread