TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
calamityjane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Erica

Question Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 11th 2012, 09:24 PM

Hey, so I have this ongoing problem (which has not yet been diagnosed my my doctor) that often either when i'm doing sport, or sometimes just randomly, i just pass out unconscious, usually without much warning. Yes i have seen my doctor and everything came back normal, however, this isn't what I wanted to ask.

Over the past few times I have collapsed, the time which takes to bring me back has gotten longer and longer, and i have been told that if it continue to increase that next time they'll phone for an ambulance.

Now, this is what I'm worried about, because I have heard that they assess your level of consciousness by opening your eyes and also applying pressure to places which are painful, eg the nail beds, or performing a sternal rub. However, when I do pass out, towards the time when I wake up properly I usually drift in and out of consciousness, and although I can hear everything around me at this point, I cannot move or open my eyes, except for when I am faced with someone inflicting pain on me. I am worried that because of the state I'm in, I will be seen as a fake because I wake up when faced with pain or when light is shone in my eyes, is this normal and does it happen to everyone? And is the sternal rub still legal?

This collapsing a few times per month is becoming so normal to me, it's ruining my life as it scares my friends when it happens at school, and my doctor didn't even bother to investigate further.. :|

Please, some information about everything I have said, particularly about what the paramedics are liable to do would be much help, just so I don't get too much of a scare when it does happen, and so I know how to explain, it's so scary

Thankyou so much! <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 12th 2012, 04:47 PM

Hey there Found it! I'll answer more in depth later tonight, I have a surprise birthday party to go to! Yes, sternal rubs are a legal thing that actually is part of the curriculum to test how people respond. Same with nail beds, however using that is mostly for children and babies checking their circulation, but I've never heard of them actually opening the patient's eyes for a sternal rub or anything. There are 4 levels of consciousness, abbreviated we call it AVPU, Alert, meaning you're talking, able to answer questions, Verbal, you make noises when asked a question, not a sentence, Painful, you respond to painful stimuli, and Unconscious, you don't respond to anything at all. I'll be back!!

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
calamityjane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 12th 2012, 06:12 PM

thankyou so much! yeah but when i said opening a patients eyes, I meant that I respond when people check for pupil dilation, which is annoying because its what wakes me up and makes me look fake because that's just the kind of think i respond to hah!

aw okay, i hope you have fun at your party! Hopefully speak to you later, thanks so much for what you've already told me, it's great for the situation I'm in :') perhaps I'll speak to you about other things at some point.

P.S. Since I'm in Scotland, Britain, the procedures are the same as the ones in America, right? :P

Thankyou so, so much! <3

wake me up, when september ends

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 13th 2012, 08:48 AM

When I was in high school and at the peak of my depression, whenever I was under a lot of physical stress I would pass out.

I did this three times in just a month. Doctor bills came back healthy so they summed it up to depression. It very well could have been. So, are you depressed?

How do you feel leading up to passing out? Do you feel tired? Exhausted? Dizzy? Nauseous? Fed up? Depressed? Angry?

Or are you just running and then pass out with no warning at all?

Also, when you do wake up, how do you feel? Like you are waking up from sleep? Groggy? Alert? Perfectly fine? Dizzy? Etc.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
calamityjane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Red face Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 13th 2012, 09:38 AM

Ha no I wouldn't think so! I'm usually very, very happy, people who know me describe be as the excitable one who won't shut up, who's really bubbly and always happy to have a laugh! Leading up to passing out I feel very sick, often as if I might actually be sick, extremely dizzy, even more clumsy than usual, my heart palpitates really strongly and beating so, so fast in my chest, and often my breathing can get very fast, which i'm told occasionally stops when i have fainted and they're checking me over, which can be worrying to think about afterwards! Sometimes I am in mid sport and I just pass out, it's so embarrassing! When waking up, I sometimes feel fine, but majority of times I feel really groggy, heart still palpitating almost painfully in my chest, I feel very confused, and still dizzy, sometimes feeling as if, or I actually do end up passing out again after being sat up after a bit. It's scaaaaaarryyyyyy!! Yet, I am lucky because I live in Britain, so NHS healthcare is free for everyone, yay! :') thanks a bunch <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 13th 2012, 10:16 AM

It very well could be dehydration, sugar levels (even if tests come back fine, your sugar might be low enough to cause you to pass out but at a good level on tests). It could be exhaustion, or you are overworking your body.

Have you been getting enough sleep? Sleep can play a large role in this as well.

Unfortunately, this may never be resolves. But hopefully that means it stops and you won't have these episodes again. Did your doctor run tests while having you jog in place? If not, I would suggest you be bold and ask them to do tests on your heart. Or ask if that is a possible cause.

It could be nothing, but you want to look at every aspect if this is a common occurrence.

And of course, nobody should think of you as a fake as Jen pointed out there are different levels of consciousness.

I do hope this gets resolved soon!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
calamityjane Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 13th 2012, 11:17 AM

yeah my parents are pretty strict on bedtimes for me, despite my age, but i definitely get enough sleep hopefully they'll stop because it's such a pain in the ass every time it happens in school and the teacher has to disrupt the lesson plan and whatnot hahaa :') ah well! yeah the doctor took my bloods and heart rate, but didn't say anything at all about my heart, only said yep bloods are all fine we'll get you back in for another appointment soon, but she never did because she was a pretty rubbish doctor, no my usual one :| but anyway, thanks for all the advice! <3<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
jenpiglet17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jen

Re: Anyone who works for (preferrably) Ambulance services - May 14th 2012, 12:21 AM

Agreeing with what Kelly said here
"It very well could be dehydration, sugar levels (even if tests come back fine, your sugar might be low enough to cause you to pass out but at a good level on tests). It could be exhaustion, or you are overworking your body."
^^This exactly. There are SO many different things, and only a doctor who knows your family history, lifestyle, etc. can make a definitive conclusion. I'd nag at your doctor and tell him everything, from when you start to feel groggy to when you finally feel better from everything. I always say you're better safe than sorry especially when it comes to your health. Make sure to tell him/her any family medical history. You said you get heart palpitations, so maybe there's a Cardiac history in your family? There's a lot of reasons heart palpitations even happen, even without family history. When it comes to the heart, it's not just about the blood that gets oxygenated, but also the heart as a muscle, the cardiovascular health of your entire body, the valves in your heart, the coronary arteries, aorta, etc. The heart is the strongest muscle in the body, and works 24/7. The circulatory system/blood in your circulatory system isn't just the heart itself. It includes all the veins, arteries, capillaries, the main parts where it absorbs nutrients, etc. That entire process.

All that aside, silent seizures also can have these symptoms, but again I'm no doctor. Best bet is to be firm with your doctor in finding out what's happening.

A computer once beat me at chess,
but it was no match for me at kickboxing!

I'm always here if you want to talk!

Closed Thread