TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Styles Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I am fat. - June 4th 2012, 10:36 PM

Hello,
So, I'm fat.
All my friends keep telling me I'm not, but everytime I go home, there is my mum who's like :''Hey sweetheart, if I was you, I'd skip dinner so you won't look like big mama.'' Then, my dad comes in and add :''Haha, hun, don't you think it's too late to tell her that? She already look like a big fat beluga, without the cute side! What are we gonna do with her? If only she was intelligent, but no! She's more stupid than a blond bunny! Who wants to marry a fat dumb girl? No one! We're stuck with her! Feeding her all her life, that's our fate!'' My mum looks a bit sorry for me, but never do anything.
I am not someone who keep quiet.
When he use those words, I just look at him and say :''At least I never had to beg someone for anything.'' Than he just get mad and try to hit me. And I leave for my room. My parents don't allow me to go outside with my friends.

What shall I do?

Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I am fat. - June 4th 2012, 11:08 PM

Are you happy with your weight or not?

If yes, ignore your mum.

If not, cut your calories and start lifting weights.

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Styles Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am fat. - June 8th 2012, 08:45 PM

No, I'm not really happy with my weight. But I don't hate myself.
And, I tried to cut on calories, but I don't know why I never finish a diet...
Once I asked my mum to subscribe me to a gym and she said :''It's to expensive go run outside...'' When I want to run outside, she always find something to make me do, like the dishes and all

(#4 (permalink)) Old
JustMeAGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am fat. - June 11th 2012, 05:04 PM

Going to a dietitian is always the best choice, but it seems to me that your parents won't take you to one, since they didn't want to subscribe to a gym... well, it isn't always necessary.
I think the most important thing for you to do right now is find out if you are overweight or not. You said your parents are always making comments about your weight, but your friends say you're not fat. Judging by what you said, I'd trust your friends. Just ask them. Or look on the internet what's the ideal weight for someone your height and age.
If you still think you need to loose weight, there's a few tips: Try not to eat to much carbohydrate. Drink lots of water, at least 8 glasses a day. Eat smaller meals in shorter spaces of time. Eat smaller portions, some people eat healthy food, but eat too much of it. Try to eat healthy stuff, like fruits and vegetables. Keep track of everything you eat during the day, so don't eat unplanned snacks between meals, that will make you loose track of what you're eating. Try doing some exercise, I know you said your mom always has something for you to do when you want to go running, but try doing it and then getting out to jog or something - I know it can be difficult, but exercising is a really important part in a diet.
There are just a few tips I remember now, but you can find a lot more on the internet.

Just some extremely important things:
1.don't do anything just to please other people, if you're doing this, do it for you.
2.Do not try to be radical, it won't be healthy and you might even loose an incredible amount of weight in a very short time, but you'll gain it all again; besides, it isn't healthy at all to just stop eating, you need vitamins, proteins and all those stuff.
3. Do not get to worried about it, stick to your diet during the week, but allow yourself a small popcorn and a soda during a movie session Saturday afternoon.
4. If that is you on our avatar (as I supposed while writing this), you are very pretty and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. And if that isn't, I bet you're pretty anyway because everyone is somehow pretty, they just have to embrace the awesomeness there is inside each one of us.

Good luck with your weight loss

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I am fat. - June 11th 2012, 05:25 PM

Your profile picture of you your not fat at all. Your mum and dad seem very cruel but i think there just joking with you. I would of said to you how to lose weight but you know already.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I am fat. - June 11th 2012, 09:34 PM

It helps to stop calling it a diet. I don't call them that, it makes me feel like I'm dedicated to something so I'm more likely to eat more than I need to. BUT I must add that you need not stick to your healthiness all the time. Once a week or so treat yourself to something nice. It'll also give you something to look forward to. Hopefully, eating healthy can also be enjoyable

Since you can't go to the gym or anything, try body weight exercises. Things like push ups, sit ups, squats, burpies... there's a lot surprisingly. It'll still be pretty tiring if you do it enough (and correctly.)

It's good that you don't hate yourself. You never want to do something solely for someone else because you could even run the risk of not liking the results!

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I am fat. - June 13th 2012, 11:56 PM

If this only happened one time, it's possible your parents were just joking (I don't know the tone), but it was a pretty harsh joke if it was, if this is a regular occurrence and judging by the fact your dad tried to hit you, I would say they (at least your dad) are psychologically/emotionally abusive. That being said, if you feel safe in your home, I don't think it is necessary to call social services, but it is a consideration.
Also, you should talk to your mom, let her know that their approach to helping you make healthy choices is hurtful. I can understand a parent encouraging their kid to eat healthy, but telling you to skip dinner is NOT healthy.
Also, even if you aren't like 0% body fat kinda skinny and are, say, 20-ish lbs overweight, you shouldn't fear. You're parents sound like they are exaggerating something and that you aren't really overweight at all.
However, if you are a bit insecure and would like to lose a few pounds, first of all, you should speak to your family, let them know that you WOULD like to lose some weight, but their approach is hurtful, and unhelpful and unhealthy (ex. skipping meals). Let them know you will work on it but you need a more positive means of support from them. You can also see a dietician, depending on your insurance and/or health care you can go for free. The dietician will be able to give you some tips on how to lose weight in a healthy and long term way.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
timothymcmellan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I am fat. - June 26th 2012, 01:16 AM

depends on how you feel

Closed Thread