TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

sleep - June 5th 2012, 09:15 AM

I am not sleeping at the moment. Last night I got 3 hours, the night before I got nothing, the night before that, I got 2 hours. I am currently on amitiptyline to help me sleep (obviously it's not working). I got sent home from work early yesterday because I was so tired that I wasn't able to function properly.

I have tried:
no caffeine after midday,
having a routine (in bed by 11, up by 8, no computer/tv an hour before bed)
If I am awake for more than 20 minutes, I get up and read or do another low stimulating activity until I feel tired enough to sleep.
I don't take naps during the day
I get exercise during the day
I eat healthily and regularly
I have tried having a bath before bed
I have tried over the counter sleeping meds
I have tried homeopathic sleep meds
I have tried getting drunk
I have tried not drinking

Anyone have any fresh ideas for me to try? If it gets me to sleep, I'll give you a cookie Seriously though, I'm desperate for some sleep.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 09:47 AM

Hey,

You've already tried most of the things I would recommend. However, I'd say, if you haven't already, try these things for a period of time, as opposed to just once. You may have done this already, but sometimes things can take a while to start making a difference and you have to stick at it for a while.

Getting the temperature of the room right, changing to different pyjamas or changing the bed sheets, having a hot water bottle, not sleeping in socks and reading non fiction before going to bed all help me sleep.

I'd also recommend that you go back to your doctor if your meds aren't working.

Take care.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 09:49 AM

Lol hey im up with you I know its crazy rigth its a bad habit staying up late its like once we do it one night it seems ot happen the next night we stay up late again.

Ill give you a cookie lol. Hey I have a idea you can take my med it makes me sleep lol jk. Thats my conflicet is if I stay up too late do I take my med or not if I take my med at 4 am in the morning almost 5 now I will wake up at around 2 in the afternoon but if I dont take it I seriously cant sleep so I eventually give in an djust take it because I would rather sleep then stay up so frustrated that I cant sleep.

amitiptyline is not a sleeping pill and its a antidepressant most of those dont make you sleepy. The pill I am on is seroquel its a antipsycotic for my moods it MAKES YOU SLEEPY. Getting hooked on sleeping pills is really bad so getting to sleep with out a pill is the best thing.

YOu know what it could be is your antidepressant is keeping you up so if you take it at night which it seems you are its probally keeping you up. I would suggest start taking your antidepressant during the day instead of at night. Im sure you will sleep then. Some meds can do that I have been on a few in the past that kept me up all night so my psych said switch it to during the day and it worked I slept at night.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 10:21 AM

Yeah, I know amitriptyline is an antidepressant. One of the main side effects with it is drowsiness, so my doctor put me on it to see if it would help. I take my other antidepressant in the morning because I know that it causes me to have trouble sleeping if i take it at night. I was on seroquel for a couple of months before but I had bad side effects, so I was taken off it. I'm trying to do it without meds, but it's getting to the point now where I'm too scared to drive incase I cause an accident, I'm making mistakes at work and I am really struggling to function.
I forgot to mention, I make sure my room is the right temperature, and
I bought a memory foam mattress to see if it would help lol. I've tried everything for 2 weeks or more to see if it would help, I still do most of them. It's absolutely infuriating. Last time it was this bad I broke my hand punching a wall because I was so angry about not being able to sleep :/
I'm going to my doctor tomorrow if I can get my shift covered at work, and hopefully they will be able to help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 11:20 AM

Man thats frustrating Im sorry I know its frustrating when you cant sleep. Sorry to hear you didnt like seroquel I honestly think its THE BEST MED IN THE WORLD I LOVE ITT. Thats werid your aloud to take two antidepressant my psych always sayed I cant take two types of the same class of drugs that its bad.

Im only on seroquel now and I love it. Antidepressant dont work for me and they make me hyper. Yes talk to your doctor I hope you can get it all sorted out.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 11:47 AM

It may be time for some prescription sleeping meds, temporarily.

Doctors can prescribe things like benzos (lorazepam, diazepam, etc) to help you sleep, they are generally relaxants of some description so can aid you, especially if you're feeling anxious or irritated about not being able to sleep.

There's also regular sleeping pills but many of them are habit-forming (addictive) and they are often prescribed for only 7 days at a time to stop people from developing dependence.

But yeah, you should have another chat to your Dr. about it, mention everything you're doing (because it's important for them to know that you're maintaining a good level of sleep hygiene), and ask if there's anything medically they can do for you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: sleep - June 5th 2012, 09:53 PM

Contrast full body hydrotherapy and exercise should help. It can actually help with depression and insomnia. Since you're on antidepressants, you can't use extreme temperatures, but here's what you do. Turn the shower to a cold temperature. Stand in the shower for 1 minute. Switch the shower to a warm/hot temperature. Stand in the shower for 3 minutes. Repeat 3 times. End with 1 minute of cold. Do this routine right after you exercise (preferably involving a little bit of aerobic activity), a few hours before bed.

This is also good for your immune and heart function.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Re: sleep - June 7th 2012, 06:39 AM

I finally got some zopiclone. I slept for 9 hours solid last night. First time in months! I actually have energy haha! Now I just have to try and get myself into a routine of doing that without the meds since they're addictive. Thanks for the help everyone!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: sleep - June 7th 2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks for letting us know! I found zopiclone really good for building up a sleep routine, and when I came off it, because I had the routine, I kept sleeping well. I hope the same thing happens for you.

Closed Thread