TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Hurt knee - June 9th 2012, 12:42 AM

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but, yesterday I was running around with some of my friends when I tripped and landed on some landscape rocks. I walked it off and it felt fine. So I kept going on it. Note that there was no swelling or bruising or any thing. Later that night, it hurt a little. This morning, there were several bruises (I bruise very easily and very quickly) and it was a bit swollen. Now it hurts whenever I walk, but if I am sitting down I can bend my knee just fine. My mom looked at it and told me that I should just ice it. I went to work and was on it full time for a few hours. Now I am icing it 20/20. I was supposed to be in a road race tomorrow. Is there any way to get it to heal faster? Do you guys know what I did? Is there anything I should be doing?

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Hurt knee - June 9th 2012, 01:46 AM

Icing it and resting it is probably the best thing you can do, sounds like you bashed it up and maybe twisted it a little.

Keep doing what you're doing, and it will heal as fast as it can. Anti-inflammatory medication can also help, or topical anti-inflammatory creams. What I learned the second time I sprained my ankle (there was no swelling but plentyheaps of pain) was that sometimes there can be micro-inflammation of the joint tissues etc, so even if you can't see an inflammation, sometimes it is still inflamed. Not always the case, but a possibility.

If you're dead set on doing your road race tomorrow, then create a support with sports tape (assuming you know how, I've forgotten the details for knee strapping), or failing that, a support bandage such as tubigrip.

It's probably not a good idea to do the race though, you need to look after you injuries and let them heal properly and completely, or you risk permanently damaging the joint/tissue.

But yeah, keep doing what you're doing. RICE! Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation - during the acute stage of an injury, but I'm sure you know that.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Hurt knee - June 9th 2012, 02:17 AM

Just keep going with the RICE method and just rest it. By walking on it and going to work, you are making things way harder for yourself. Give yourself a break and don't try get it to heal faster.

It will heal faster if you just do not try get it to heal faster. Give yourself some time, gte some rest and implement the RICE method.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ten.Foot.Line Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hurt knee - June 9th 2012, 03:23 AM

I decided to not do the road race. I'll just cheer on my friends.
I know this sounds stupid but I never understood the 'compression' part of RICE. Does it mean that I need to wrap it while I'm icing it? Or What?

I am home schooled and proud of it! No, I do not like skirts. Yes, I have a social life. I'm conservative and I wear a purity ring. I am dead set on saving my first kiss for my wedding day. If you want to tell me that saving my kiss is impossible, STUFF IT.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Hurt knee - June 9th 2012, 03:40 AM

Compresssion=squeezing.

Most often this is done by either strapping with a stretchy bandage (I can't for the life of me remember what they're called), or with tubigrip. It should be tight enough to restrict movement, but not to so tight that it reduces circulation. The point of compression is to help reduce swelling - when an injury is compressed, it can only swell to the size allowed by the compression bandage, meaning it will heal faster as there is less fluid build up around the injury. Without compression, swelling can continue pretty much uninihibited and this slows the healing process, because the body has to drain the swelling as well as repair the damaged tissue.

Hope that explanation helped

Closed Thread