TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Donating blood - April 7th 2009, 08:09 PM

My school's holding a blood drive sometime in May, I believe. An announcement was made in school that if you're sixteen you can give blood.

I want to do it, especially because I need service hours, but I'm worried if my body will be able to handle it. I don't eat red meat and I'm fairly light even though I meet the minimum weight requirement. My boyfriend's around the same weight I am and he had trouble with it last year.

Should I still give blood? That is, if all the tests and such indicate that I'm okay to take it? I know it's obviously for a good cause, but I may not do it if it's going to be difficult on my body.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Donating blood - April 7th 2009, 08:14 PM

If you meet the requirements you really should be fine, of course even if you meet the requirements and more there's always a chance you could become light headed, have low blood sugar, faint, etc..
It really is up to you, none of us are doctors so we can't say if you can or can't, maybe you should give your doctor a ring and ask them yourself? They should have a better idea than you or I or anyone here would.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Donating blood - April 7th 2009, 08:17 PM

You could always try, if it gets too much, tell the nurse and they have to stop. I gave blood today, and its generally ok. I've done it about 5-6 times so far. They're nothing to worry about and it doesn't hurt. You feel a scratch, that's all.
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Donating blood - April 7th 2009, 08:29 PM

If you want to give blood and are worried about it. You could call your doctor and consult with him on what you could do to make sure everything runs smoothly.
Before you give blood you should eat foods with lots of iron in it. Like broccoli and such.
I have given blood twice and I love giving blood, even though when a doctor has to take it, I freak out like nobodys business. I like the free cookies...

You really should have no problem at all, you meet the requirements, and as long as you eat iron before hand, it should all be good. And if you happen to feel woozy right after, they will keep you in the big red blood bus until you feel fine. And if you start to feel woozy after the fact like a few hours, and still are in school you should be able to go back to the bus thingy.

I will tell you of my experiences. My first time, afterwards was horrible. I missed for days of school, I could barely walk and I thought something was wrong with me. I thought I might have been anemic. I went to the doctor the next day, the day after I gave blood and he said it was because of the plan B pill I took two months before. My hormones and chemicals or whatever were still not back to normal. So if you have taken plan B, I suggest to you, don't give blood.

Second time I gave blood, it went fantastic. Although I had some really strange looks because it was home coming week and the day I gave blood was I believe decade day and I was full on 80's.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Paul. Offline
Average Joe

Re: Donating blood - April 10th 2009, 12:00 AM

People can react differently regardless of weight and such. Some people feint afterwords, while others can get up right away and be off. They generally sit you down to eat crackers and drink juice and stuff like that to prevent finding out what kind of person you are lol. The only way to find out is by doing it, just make sure your well hydrated and have eaten before donating. I've donated I'm not sure how many times, around 5, and I've never felt light headed. They also say I have a high platelet count too, perhaps that makes it easier.

Its a good thing to do! Good on ya and good luck

Ohh and I donate at the hampshire mall sometimes, good way to get free movie tickets = ]

(#6 (permalink)) Old
sakuchan Offline
Banned
Not a n00b

Re: Donating blood - April 10th 2009, 10:42 AM

I remember always getting blood taken..

I hated it. xD If you meet the requirements you so should do it.

Ask your doctor first before doing it to see if you can.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
a_girlsdreams Offline
Average Joe

Re: Donating blood - April 10th 2009, 04:52 PM

It is different for everyone.
The first time I did it, I meet all the needs and Im over the minimun weight limit and I still almost passed out while I was giving blood with the needle in my arm.
The second time my iron was too low.
And the third time I gave it, it was better.
All I had was a little headache and dizzyness after but I always have headaches.

You have to answer questions.
The nurses at school will make sure you can donate by checking the answers to the questions.
Then they also check your heart rate, blood pressure, tempature and iron.
If you pass everything, youre good.

If you do decide to donate make sure you:
EAT (have a good dinner and a good breakfast in the morning)
DRINK (drink juice and water. water makes the blood taking process faster)
Relax (being nervouse can increase your heart rate and can make it too high to donate)
Pee (it sounds stupid but make sure you pee and dont have to go when you are getting ready to donate. they dont like to stop once you already started)

I hope everything goes well if you decide to do it.
If youre unsure, talk to your parents or even a doctor.

Good luck.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Donating blood - April 10th 2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECCALICIOUS! View Post
My school's holding a blood drive sometime in May, I believe. An announcement was made in school that if you're sixteen you can give blood.

I want to do it, especially because I need service hours, but I'm worried if my body will be able to handle it. I don't eat red meat and I'm fairly light even though I meet the minimum weight requirement. My boyfriend's around the same weight I am and he had trouble with it last year.

Should I still give blood? That is, if all the tests and such indicate that I'm okay to take it? I know it's obviously for a good cause, but I may not do it if it's going to be difficult on my body.

I tried giving blood and they rejected me. I hate needles. She took my pulse or heartbeat and told me it was too high. I looked okay on the outside but inside I was freaking out.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
Closed Thread