TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Unhappy My mum's friend - June 16th 2012, 04:22 PM

I hate people who smoke because smoking is horrible and it causes lung cancer, heart disease, coughing, bad health, etc i hate all of that and i would never smoke and never have done. The problem is that my mum's friend smokes and he was sitting next to me smoking i know in future i should keep away but i didn't think i just sat there and went on my laptop. When he smokes the smokes goes inside me and gives me black lungs. I'm worried. please help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My mum's friend - June 17th 2012, 05:20 AM

Uhm... Actually you aren't going to get black lungs from sitting beside someone smoking. It doesn't do that severe of damage to just merely be in proximity of it. I believe that in part has to do with the heat. You CAN get serious health problems from being around smokers (think: second hand smoke). However, it merely exasperates things like allergies and asthma. It DOES theoretically increase your risk to things like lung disease, but NOT by a number you should really worry about if it happens once in a blue moon.

I don't hugely like smoking either, I think it is silly that people do something that they KNOW is going to damage their health (whether it leads to the disease that kills them or not... After all a smoker could die of leukaemia or in a car accident or just because, hello, everyone has to die). And they KNOW it is addictive when they do it and they know it is a money drain and they know that smoking smells bad. Everyone who has tried it (and never made it a habit) or has committed to never trying it gets that. So you are preaching to the choir here. But I gotta admit, I think you are overreacting a bit. Again, being near to it occasionally isn't a positive death sentence. If he starts doing it all the time, just tell him that the smell bugs you and ask if he can not do it so close to you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My mum's friend - June 17th 2012, 08:02 PM

Thank you for the advice. I will keep away from now on.

Closed Thread