TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 02:35 AM

So I'm like a really weak guy.
Totally out of shape and I've been trying to do a little exercise here and there Nd I just can't do a pushup. I looked it up on YouTube and everything but I can't bring my body all the way down.
Any tips? Other Ways to strengthen myself, maybe enough to be able to do a pushup?

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 03:56 AM

Push ups do take time. When I was also around your age I couldn't go down half way..lol

Right now try to target the muscles that is used with push ups (bi-ceps, tricecps, traps; chest for some people). Try simple easy excersizes for each muscle; curling a small text book for biceps, doing dips off your bed for triceps and swimming (if applicable) for your traps. Each time they seem to easy use heavier objects or try to go down lower. As those key muscles get worked soon push ups will come naturally!

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 05:37 AM

You're not going to be able to do a push-up without much muscle strengthening exercises and some endurance. For example, before starting martial arts as well as weight training at home and using a heavy and speed bags, I'd have trouble doing a few sit-ups, let alone a few push-ups. Now, after 2-3 hours of hard sparring, I can manage to do around 90 sit-ups and roughly the same amount of push-ups on my knuckles.

You'll have to start with very basic and light weight-lifting, or perhaps even objects as Rise suggested with textbooks. You also have to continuously do this, that is, you cant expect from an hour of lifting a light dumbbell or textbook to be able to do a few push-ups. If you're having trouble finding suitable exercises, you can always try to join a sport, either in or out of school.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 11:27 AM

Simplify it to start with. Most people would say "go on your knees". Seriously, don't. It doesn't build the core stabilising muscles you need to maintain the correct form.

My advice: straddle (have wide apart) your legs, and same with your arms. It's easier because you're now spread over a wider base. Gradually bring them in closer as you get stronger, e.g., when you can do 20 - 30 comfortably like that.

Also, do press-ups standing up against a wall if you're really that bad. It builds the same muscles and forms a progression, so you can lower the angle and increase the strength needed as you get better - like, start against a wall, then have your hands on a chair/bench, then on a step or two, then down on the ground.

;D

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 11:55 AM

Try the road to one hundred push ups

http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

Hey, guess why i smile a lot... because it's worth it

People who don't want you to think are never your friends.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Push-ups? - June 21st 2012, 02:58 PM

I'd say do the pushups on your knees. But if you do that, you're going to have to do something to strengthen your stomach (abs) at the same time.

It's how I started out at about 12/13 years of age I think. So here's what I suggest:

1. Do push ups, whilst leaning on your knees for support
2. Do leg raises (not sit-ups) to increase the strength in your stomach

Proper leg raises can be quite difficult for a complete beginner. It involves lying flat on your back with your legs out in front, and lifting your legs in the air. Do not lift them so far that they go over your head. You should lift them about 90 degrees. If you can't lift both legs because it's too hard, you can try bending your legs at the knees to bring them in and doing it like that (it should be easier then). If that's still to difficult, you can try just lifting one leg at a time.

Doing push-ups against a wall are also good. That's already been suggested and described pretty well though.

Please, if you do the push-ups I suggested (on your knees), do some exercises on your stomach... otherwise it's disproportionate. Also, in the long term you should look into developing other muscle groups too, such as lower back, upper back, biceps, legs, etc. I made a mistake of building my press-ups to a ridiculously high amount whilst struggling to curl 10kg lol (involving biceps and back muscles). The long term effects of something like that can be such as developing a crooked spine, muscle cramps in antagonistic muscles etc.

AND EAT MORE PROTEIN --- chicken, eggs, milk, soya milk, beef, pork etc...

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

Last edited by BDF; June 21st 2012 at 04:05 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Push-ups? - July 2nd 2012, 06:31 PM

I agree with what everyone else is saying. If you have any of those handheld weights, you can start with those to help build up you upper arms, chest, shoulder strength. While doing those on the side, try doing pushups while on your knees. Planks will also help build some strength in your core and upper body.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Push-ups? - July 2nd 2012, 06:58 PM

Yeah, everyone else seems to have it right. Push ups take a considerable amount of muscular strength and endurance? Do you know how many girls can't do push ups cause so many girls don't work out their arm/chest/shoulder muscles.
Any ways, you should just start doing various weight lifting exercises, things that will build the shoulder, arm and chest muscles, you can easily buy a few sets of weights, lots of them are around $30 so you can just buy one or 2 sets at a time, and just buy more as needed instead of forking out for weights you can't lift right away. Though if you have access to it, it may be more practical to get a gym membership and a session or 2 with a trainer

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Narnian representative
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rachi

Cool Re: Push-ups? - July 3rd 2012, 12:01 PM

PROTIEN SHAKESSS. There really expensive in my part of England. But my dad has them and he says there good. Or you can buy the big tubs of powder which you can add to drinks. Thats how the males in ma family got there muscles.

[I'm writing this with my friend, we both thourght you ment push up bras].

Do it in time to groovy music such as:
Hips don't lie by Shakira.
Wherever, whenever by Shakira.
[Very inspiring lyrics].
Ma humps by Black Eyed Peas.

And if your really feeling special, try Friday by Rebecca Black.
Just count in your head, UP. DOWN. UP. DOWN.
And remember, the more push ups you do, the man- leir you will become.

Keep trying. When your feeling down, imagine me, wiping the sweat from your brow with my mickey mouse towel.

Feel free to ask me anytime for tips.

SEE YA BRUV.

~ Really manly man.

Ever since I met you.. it hasn't been the same. All you got me doing is drawing hearts around your name <3
Me without you is like a sneaker without laces, a geek without braces andasentancewithoutspaces.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Vaughndy7 Offline
Voglio solo essere bella...
Average Joe

Name: Toni

Re: Push-ups? - July 3rd 2012, 08:21 PM

"Elbow pushups" are a good way to build up to being able to do push ups. Get in push up position and insted of bending your elbows, you go down so that your elbow-forearms are on the ground (one at a time), then go back to push up position and then go back down to your elbow-forearm. Alternate which arms are going up/ down first. I hope that description made sense. Lol. Good luck!

"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."
"People cry, not because they are weak. It's because they have been strong for too long."
"Everthing will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it's not the end."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Push-ups? - July 3rd 2012, 09:34 PM

There's an app for that, no seriously there is. It's called 100 pushups.

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Push-ups? - July 5th 2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUCLEARGUMMYBEAR View Post
And if your really feeling special, try Friday by Rebecca Black.
Terrible advice... I blame Rebecca Black for the double-dip recession we're in. lol.

Im joking. Listen to whatever helps.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: Push-ups? - July 7th 2012, 11:16 PM

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

So, there are soooooooooo many things to work your hest and tris and anteriors, go the gym, there are flys, there re chest presses and even at home, just getting a bench and two dumbells.

I started training five months ago and I couldn't do shit, I could not do five pushups but development takes time . Pushups ain't the only exercise you can do. It's like saying "I'm so weak, I can't bench press". I lost seven and a half percent body fat before I learnt how do pushups and benchng properly.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

Closed Thread