TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gemma. Offline
Average Joe

Name: Gemma

Back ache - June 25th 2012, 08:28 PM

Hey guys,

I have some really bad back ache right now. It's lasted for ages. Like all from my lower back all up to the top of my neck. It like comes in sections...right now it is my lower back causing me pain.

I'll start from what i think is the beginning of all this. About 3 years ago i got into the car and smacked my head getting in. But i sort of tensed rather than letting my head go forward with the impact, if that makes sense? So i think the impact just went all down my spine. I don't know though. I went to the doctors and he said that my spine was fine but i will probably have bruising. It will clear up in a few weeks. Well those few weeks were agony and i missed several days of school for it. But now it's 3 years later.

I have always had issues all down my spine since this day. And it really does feel like the problem is with my spine. All the pain centres around it.

It's just a constant pain. Usually the worst in the morning and the evening. In the morning i often get up really early just because i can't stand the pain of laying down and trying to sleep any longer. I've changed the posiion i lay in more times that i can think of. I regularly change my matress round. It's a new matress as of last November. I straighten my back and neck as much as i can as often as possible. I lay on hard, flat ground when it's bad. I do as much as i can think of. I've got a doctors appointment tomorrow and really want some advice from anyone who has had this before also.

It's just so painful!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Back ache - June 25th 2012, 11:27 PM

Well, I'll give you the background. I got thrown from a horse and fractured my spine 2.5 years ago (compression fracture), and I already had some minor problems before that from other sports and I have big boobs etc. I never saw a doctor cause I have a pretty good pain tolerance and I was monitoring it on my own figuring if it got worse THEN I'd go to the ER, but mean while all they could of done was give me pain killers. I can still play sports and stuff no problem. My friend disagrees, she has been TOTALLY over reacting and is acting like my trainer letting my lift heavy weights is some how borderline criminal and that playing the majority of the sports I am involved in should somehow be out of the question (no more horses, no more snowboarding the likes)... But what ever, it's healed, and it DIDN'T go near my spinal cord or anything so what ever, I didn't even know until recently cause I wanted advice on how to deal with the back pain (like a dull ache) that comes and goes and also with the tense-ness. It's nothing I take pain killers for, so no biggie...... Any ways, you should definitely tell your doctor what's up, cause it sounds like your pain is a lot more severe after far to long, if you aren't having bowel problems or tingling/movement problems in your limbs then I don't think there is nerve damage, but I am not qualified to say that in total confidence. I think you should definitely ask for some X-rays and possibly a CT scan... Preferably ask for an MRI though cause that way you won't be exposed to radiation (which can increase risk to cancer)... If nothing else, you may have done something and if your insurance/health care plan won't cover the X-rays/mri/ct scan you could at least ask for some physio which might help with strengthening your back muscles.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gemma. Offline
Average Joe

Name: Gemma

Re: Back ache - June 26th 2012, 10:23 AM

Thankyou for this. I'm glad your back healed coz it's not great having back pain no matter how bad it is :L Didn't realise that was the case for MRI instead of x-rays etc so thanks for the information, really helped

Closed Thread