TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
flisk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Insomnia - July 3rd 2012, 06:10 AM

Does anyone else suffer from insomnia?

I have for the past few years... most of the time as long as I sleep 5-6 hours at night I'm fine and I can function. Not tired or anything at all during the day.

But every once in awhile i'll go for about ten days getting only 3-4 (or even less) hours of sleep, not by choice, and I'm exhausted after the first few days. I've done sleep studies, melatonin, other sleeping pills prescribed and nothing will work until I basically collapse from exhaustion and sleep for a good 15-16 hours straight. Then the normal 5-6 hours a night patterns resume.

This started around the same time my anorexia did but even in periods of recovery I had the same problems. Not related to me period either... I've tried tracking sleep and period for a year and found no correlation. My period's pretty irregular though and likes to come at random as well so no correlation isn't saying much.

Anyone else like this? Or suffer from insomnia or odd sleep habits? I don't complain about the 5-6 hour nights. I feel fine and get a lot of extra work done. It's the prolonged 3-4 (or less) hour night periods that kill me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Insomnia - July 3rd 2012, 06:27 PM

I have insomnia. My doctor thought it was from anxiety, but even when I'm not anxious, I still don't sleep much & when I am, I hardly sleep at all.

I think this past semester was the worst it's been since I had to miss class & work just to get a couple hours of sleep, but I also had a lot of stress & my anxiety was a lot worse. I've been on & off meds for it, however I don't really like the meds since they don't help much & they make me feel really groggy the next day. I think on average, I get a few hours of sleep each night (I tend to wake up every hour or two), but really it depends on if I have to get up early the next day or not. Like right now since it's summer, I get to sleep in later so that gives me a chance to sleep more.

I've gotten a lot more used to running on little sleep, but you know it's bad when you have to miss class or work. If it affects any of that this semester, then I'll go back to the doctor where I'll probably be put on anxiety meds as well since it was recently sorted out that I have generalized anxiety disorder.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Insomnia - July 3rd 2012, 06:37 PM

I have insomnia. It generally gets bad for a few weeks and then goes away for a few months. It's been like this for years, basically since I became a teenager. I generally try to do all the normal sleep hygeine stuff, but when it's bad not even sleeping pills work. I find that I just need to let it pass, although recently I have had to take time off because of it due to not being able to do my job properly on little sleep.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Insomnia - July 3rd 2012, 08:17 PM

Hi there,

I have had a lot of problems with insomnia and I can relate to how you must be feeling about it.

There is normally a cause to insomnia which could be something like the amount of caffiene you're consuming, health problems, medication you're on, stress, if you have recently gone through a traumatic experience, the enviroment you sleep in as well as your bedtime routine. Now it might be good to think abotu all of these things and figure out whether any of this could be the cause to your insomnia. If you can't think of a cause, try keep a sleeping log. But write down what you've done in the day (including what you have had to eat and what you have drank) etc and then write about the quality of your sleep and see if you can figure out a pattern.

To try and improve yourself, it might be good to make sure the enviroment you sleep in is good. For example, itsknown that sleeping with the light on can cause sleeping problems as well as the noise going on and the tempreture; not too hot but not too cold. Also avoid too much caffiene. try and have a bed time routine. Start getting ready for bed and winding down and a certain time each night. Then go to bed say 10.30 and do something such as listnening to calming music for half an hour and then try and get to sleep at 11. If you cant sleep and its been more than half an hour, try getting up and getting a drink or something and trying again; don't just stay in bed gettingd agitated and stressed over the fact you can't sleep.

Its also a good idea to avoid working late and stressful situation before bedtimes as this can make your mind over stimulated. Its known that lighting on laptops can cause sleeping issues and some people feel that reading complicated books or listening to music with lyrics can be stimulating for the mind. Thats a bit of trial and error, I think personally.

I was also told by my counselor to only be in my room when I want to go to sleep (or have sex) because this then helps your mind associate the bedroom with sleeping which apperntly helps you sleep at night.

You might also find it helpful to do a bit of exersize during the day and even some relaxing yoga or meditation before bed.

I hope this helps. If you carry on struggling I would again, recommend you see your doctor about futher medication.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread