TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
silent_love Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michelle

Question Asthma-worried about my brother - July 12th 2012, 11:46 AM

Hi, as anyone who would have read pazzaboys post in greiving and loss 'RIP Melissa' you know my cousin yust died of an Asthma attack wich lead to a heart attack. Me, Matt, Mum, Nan and Dad went to her service today and when we were 1/2 way home(the service was 4 hours away) i recieved a phone call from my other nan saying my little brother Martten was having a Asthma attack, because of what had recently happend to Mel we rushed home. He went on the nebuliser and took his ventalin. He is sleeping in my room tonight, Im soo worried that someting is going to happen to him, Has anyone got ant suggestions on how I can REDUCE my anxiety ATM and how I can help him????

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MindBodySpirit Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Not Michael

Re: Asthma-worried about my brother - July 12th 2012, 12:31 PM

If somebody is having a mild asthma attack, and they don't have their inhaler, give them a cup of coffee. It causes vasodilation, which helps to open up the bronchioles. However, if somebody has asthma that's pretty bad, and not controlled very well, it might be a good idea to look to their lifestyle. For example, people with asthma generally don't tolerate milk very well, because milk contributes to an increased mucous production. Asthma is almost like an allergic reaction in the lungs, so take a look at the "Natural Allergy Relief" thread in the general health forum. The same concepts can apply to asthma.

Since he has already taken his inhaler, he should be completely fine. Just watch his breathing patterns, and the color of his skin. If it starts to look like it's getting worse, then get him to a hospital.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
silent_love Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Michelle

Re: Asthma-worried about my brother - July 12th 2012, 12:35 PM

Thankyou, he is sleeping FINALLY!!! he is coughing and wheezing in his sllep though, He can have more medication at 12am AEST and its 10:36pm, so Im just going to see how he goes for now as he is not too bad ATM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Asthma-worried about my brother - July 15th 2012, 12:57 AM

I can agree with what Michael said. If the medication doesn't seem to be doing its job either then I'd have him see a doctor. I know that my asthma used to be worse as a kid than it was now and sometimes in school I'd have an attack and end up seeing my doctor about it if it didn't improve by the time I got out of school for the day, but most of the time I'd be fine with my inhaler. If he thinks that his medication doesn't help as much as it should too then you can always have your parents bring it up with his doctor, because there are different types he can be put on instead if that doesn't work well. With his inhaler he should be fine though.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Asthma-worried about my brother - July 15th 2012, 02:16 AM

Hi there.

Like already said, it might be interesting to look into his lifestyle choices. I know my asthma is triggered by allergies (hayfever) so I cant have my window open past a certain time and my cats aren't supposed to be in my room. It could be things like exersise too. Definately get him to see a doctor to see if her can see an asthma nurse and have an inhaler. It might be a bit of a trial and error at first because there are different types. If he has a bad asthma attack, seek medical help straight away.

Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Asthma-worried about my brother - July 16th 2012, 01:55 AM

Everything mentioned is great. But one thing that really helped me with my severe asthma attacks is my doctor told me not to fight it. He told me to let it happen, remember it will be over soon, and try to think of something happy or funny.

That seems to help so I don't panic and make it worse. And sometimes I get an asthma attack because of my anxiety, so sometimes a back rub would help. Though, I don't advise this, it's just as someone else said: Trial and error.

Air purifiers are great to have for people with asthma. Opening windows and doors before vacuuming since that stirs up dust. Not being outside when it's real humid helps me - or having the AC on real cool helps me as well.

Putting my arms above my head is another great one, and talking to someone while I have one helps keep me a bit calm.

Hope some of this might be useful for your brother.

Closed Thread