TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maddiystic Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maddi

Insomnia - July 17th 2012, 09:47 AM

Sorry for making another topic, but I haven't been able to sleep at night-- at all. I've had my eyes closed and in my bed all night but haven't been able to fall asleep (It's almost 6am now) and when I do sleep, I sleep as much as I can but wake up tired. I sleep 10-11 hours!! Even after I wake up tired, I can't sleep again, and I can't fall asleep at all lots of times.
-----------
I told my mother awhile back I've been having sleeping problems, and to this date she tells me to go take another 'sleeping pill'. These are herbal remedy pills from some weird store in our town. She doesn't believe in letting doctors 'pump us full of drugs'. I researched the ingredients in the herb pills, and just as I thought-- that pill's a placebo. She doesn't believe it and refuses to look at my proof.
-----------------------
Does anyone know any way or tip or have any advice as how to fall asleep and let sleep be refreshing?

Thanks in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAnna Offline
Anna Banana
Average Joe

Name: Anna

Re: Insomnia - July 17th 2012, 05:28 PM

Hey there

I'm sorry you're having a hard time sleeping. First, if the herbal remedy isn't working and you're sure of this then I recommend that you stop taking it, because there are some things, like some herbs, that can prevent sleep, other examples are drugs and alcohol, so I recommend you don't take any drugs or alcohol

The main reason we don't sleep is because we're agitated or worried or anxious. So, I don't know if you're worried about anything but I suggest that you let it go, and try to relax before bed. Every night before bed you should do some relaxation techniques, like deep breathing, listening to music, reading a calming book, watching a film...things like that. After 2 weeks your mind will associate the relaxation with sleeping and so it will allow you to sleep more peacefully, and you'll wake up more refreshed.

You shouldn't really sleep for more than 9 hours a day, because it is quite common to wake up even more tired than before, this is similar to when you wake up after having only 3-4 hours sleep.

Having a bath can also help relax your body before you go to bed, so it's always a good idea to try that. Another thing is not to drink coffee or any caffienated drinks just before bed as well as eating food, your body will want to process this food and this can keep you awake.

Okay, I hope I helped, take care
Anna

I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone

Send a message via MSN to ForeverAnna  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower2009 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Whitney

Re: Insomnia - July 17th 2012, 06:54 PM

Anna had alot of good suggestions!
I would also reccomend that you get into a regular sleep habit. Once you are able to relax and fall asleep, start adjusting it so you go to bed and wake up at the same times everyday. Your body and mind will get into that routine which will help you get more consistent and restful sleep.
HTH!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maddiystic Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insomnia - July 18th 2012, 02:46 AM

Thanks. I haven't taken that herb stuff in awhile, and I really shouldn't read or watch a movie or that stuff before bed-- I tend to think all about what I just watched/read just after I finish. I'll find something relaxing to do.

Thanks for the tips.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Insomnia - July 18th 2012, 07:59 AM

Hello there,

I suffer from this on a yearly basis due to not having a regular sleeping schedule during the summer. It's 6 AM as I'm typing this and I'm not tired at all. I don't believe in pills and other forms of medicine though pretty much because it didn't work for me. It seems like what you have is a very irregular sleeping pattern. I've found myself in your exact situation year after year. Here's what I do every year to get myself straightened up before school starts again:

What I do to straighten things out before school starts up again is completely tire myself out one day. Pull an all - nighter and watch movies and shows to keep your brain active. During the day, go for runs, play sports, and just do a lot of exercise in general (anything to tire yourself out physically). Lastly, go out with friends or family to top it all off.

By now you will be completely exhausted mentally and physically. It is your job to not give into temptation and fall asleep as you will just start right from the beginning. Wait until a nice time like 10 or 11 PM and just tuck yourself into your covers and fall asleep! Make sure to wake up and fall asleep at appropriate times and voila! You'll have a normal sleeping pattern again!

I know this may be very demanding and I honestly don't know if it's completely healthy but it's a whole lot better than sleeping at 6/7 and waking up in the afternoon. If pills aren't working for you, I'd suggest trying more natural habits rather than overdosing yourself on sleeping medicine.

Good luck! Carpe Diem.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maddiystic Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insomnia - July 18th 2012, 08:32 AM

I did pull an all nighter awhile back, and it actually did help. I'll look into doing it again, sometimes you just have to do it, right?

Thanks!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Norman Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia - July 27th 2012, 01:18 PM

Insomnia is a rest problem that is recognized by problems dropping or remaining sleeping. Individuals with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:

Difficulty dropping asleep
Waking up often during the evening and having problems going returning to sleep
Waking up too beginning in the morning
Feeling exhausted upon waking.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Norman Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Insomnia - July 28th 2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
Insomnia is a rest problem that is recognized by problems dropping or remaining sleeping. Individuals with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:

Difficulty dropping asleep
Waking up often during the evening and having problems going returning to sleep
Waking up too beginning in the morning
Feeling exhausted upon waking.
Any comment?

Closed Thread