TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Nightmares & insomnia D: - July 19th 2012, 08:18 PM

Alright guys, I have no idea if I'm overreacting, or...? Every night for the past...2 weeks? I've had nightmares. Not about any specific thing, but I always wake terrified, and sometimes that feeling last for around 2 hours before I can shake it.

It's a bit annoying, actually, because I've suffered from bouts of insomnia all my life. It generally gets worse when I'm under a lot of strain, which I am now. So not only do I have nightmares, I can't get to sleep in the first place!

I'm sorry if I don't make any sense. I'm...sleep deprived Any ideas?

Take as long as you need.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Nightmares & insomnia D: - July 19th 2012, 09:18 PM

I'm honestly not sure what advice I can give to help since I take sleep meds when I have problems sleeping whether it's insomnia or nightmares. If it's affecting your every day life though, like you're always tired & such, you might want to call your doctor. Usually sleep problems are from stress though, so maybe it will pass.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Nightmares & insomnia D: - July 20th 2012, 02:00 AM

Hey beautiful.

I'm prone to nightmares too (comes from having a tendency towards anxiety coupled with a very active imagination), so I'll see if I can help. As Barbara said, sleep problems are often caused by stress. What I've found is that it helps to have a good sleep routine. Try to 'switch off' for a while before you go to bed (ie. get off the computer, don't watch TV, and probably don't talk to any witches ). Try to get into meditation or at least work on some deep breathing exercises, which you can do before you go to bed; that can help get you into a peaceful enough state to sleep. You know how in Harry Potter he tries to learn Occlumency? The principle of that is actually sound - maybe you can try to clear your mind, to forget about your worries and stress so that you'll get a better night's sleep. Come let me know if you need a little magic to help. Those are just a few ideas, so maybe one will work for you.

Other than that, it might help to 'de-stress' your life in general. Some people think that dreams are a way of working through things you haven't resolved in your waking hours, so presumably if you work through your problems when you're awake, you'll be less likely to have dreams and nightmares. I would also second the idea of going to a doctor if the problem persists or if it starts to interfere with your life. It's always better to have a professional opinion. Oh, and as for what to do if you have a nightmare - just remember that that's all it is. It can't hurt you, and it's not real. You're perfectly safe, no matter how scared you feel.

Good luck.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

Closed Thread