TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
loveme_x Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ashley

Should I just go to a podiatrist? - July 28th 2012, 02:55 PM

I've been having this problem for years on my toes and sometime my finger nails, ingrown toenail. How i can tell the area turns black/purple beside it and is hurting very badly. It usually goes away but this one....not so soon. So i thought i got it out but soon after it started hurting again but its hurting so far back i can't reach, i hurts when my shoe hits it or even something light as the covers. I'm always hitting my toe on something...its been hurting for a week or two now ;( ive been digging n digging bleeding n bleeding...all just more pain. Should I just make an appointment to the local podiatrist?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I just go to a podiatrist? - July 28th 2012, 05:14 PM

Definitely. Ingrown toenails can become quite severe to the point where an infection can set in. I have a friend who has ingrown toenails, and when he was younger he let them grow and grow until his socks were bloody, but he continued to ignore it until one day he couldn't walk because of the pain. His mom took him to the doctor and the doctor said he had a very bad staph infection, and he ended up being kept in the hospital for 2 days. Don't risk it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Should I just go to a podiatrist? - August 2nd 2012, 01:09 AM

Yes. Ingrown toenails can get infected and cause more pain and recovery time if not taken care of soon enough. The doctor can attempt to trim your toenail back and try redirecting how it grows.

Keep ice on it for 15-20 minutes at a time at least every 4 hours. Soak it in Epsom Salt or antibacterial soap. The soap will likely hurt more than the epsom salt though. Keeping some petroleum jelly or vaseline on it can help aid if it starts to rub against something until you can see a doctor.

Taking some ibuprofen or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory can help with the irritation and pain as well.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
loveme_x Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ashley

Re: Should I just go to a podiatrist? - August 4th 2012, 04:51 AM

Ok what if, i soaked it in epsom salt it isnt hurting Anymore but its still the same color?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
joeblow9999 Offline
I'm back! (sorta)
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should I just go to a podiatrist? - August 4th 2012, 07:34 AM

Infections can still happen as long as there is broken skin, even if it doesn't hurt.

Feel free to leave me a VM anytime, I don't bite. :3

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ---Neil deGrasse Tyson

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Should I just go to a podiatrist? - August 4th 2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangequark27 View Post
Infections can still happen as long as there is broken skin, even if it doesn't hurt.
Completely true. You should still see a doctor about it. Often times the doctor will just want to keep trimming the nail every few weeks or once a month. Other times, if it is severe, they may want to redirect the nail.

In the end, I believe it is worth it. Once you are done with the redirecting, you will feel a lot better as you will not have any pain or soreness and you do not have to soak your foot constantly :P

Closed Thread