TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
2hot4u Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachael

A few things - August 5th 2012, 02:48 AM

Advice on any would be nice

1) Im nearly constantly in pain. I take tylenol almost daily, at least once due to it. My back/neck area mostly, sometimes accompanied with headaches. My doctor got x-rays done of my back, but he didnt see anything I guess. It bothers me though. Some days i am woken up BY the pain. :/

2) i havent had my period in about 4 months. Theres no chance of me being pregnant(never had sexual intercourse), but is that anything to worry about? I have been under A LOT of stress, so I think that might be it... but I dont know.

3) SLEEP! (i have a few things going on about that)
-I can sleep for 2 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, 12 hours, 14 hours... And i wake up feeling... like I havent slept at all? I dont know WHY or anything... Any ideas?

- I feel almost... afraid when I think about going to sleep. There is no reason for it, but lately I have been. I hate it because I want to sleep, but I just feel a deep fear of it. No idea why or anything...

I think thats it right now..

http://www.teenhelp.org/blogs/2hot4u/

R.I.P Mommy </3 July 1,1963-April 8, 2012. I miss you

It's a momentary relief from the existential terror of existence!

Had to get stitches for the first time due to self harm on June 2, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: A few things - August 5th 2012, 10:14 AM

1) It sounds like it is muscles, but I am no doctor so I can't actually say. Has your doctor ruled out muscle tightens? This can easily give you headaches and make you feel like poo :P Have you tried putting a heat pad on it? OR an ice pack? Sometimes one will work better than the other. I would also suggest Advil (Ibuprofen) instead of Tylenol because Tylenol is more for fever reducing (and pain), whereas Advil will help reduce both, as well as any swelling which might be causing your pain.

2) Have you spoken to your doctor? It could very well be stress. Or it could be something else. There are a few things that can cause a missed period besides pregnancy. Only a doctor can rule these things out. Such as, for myself, I hadn't had one in a year. Turns out I just don't produce enough hormones anymore. Could be stress-induced. Or it could be something else. But I went on birth control pills, which helped me to get my period back.

3) Well, if you are afraid to sleep, then you aren't going to sleep very well. Even if you don't remember waking up, you likely were tossing and turning, which is not allowing your body the rest it needs. Figure out why you are afraid. Sometimes, for me, it's just irrational. So I'll sleep with the tv on, which isn't the best and can sometimes interrupt your sleep...but on occasion it works for me. Here are a few ideas to help you get better sleep:

- Get into a routine. Do the same thing around the same time every night. After a week to two weeks, your body will anticipate those actions. Once you do them, your body knows it is time to sleep. (get a warm drink, bathe, climb in bed, etc)
- As said above, try a warm drink with no caffeine, before bed. (about an hour before)
- Make sure you eat at least two hours before bed. If you get hungry, have a very light snack (yogurt, bread and butter, etc)
- Take a warm bath or shower about an hour before bed.
- Read a book (NOT in bed)
- Don't have your phone beside your bed, or at least turn it off to not allow sound or vibration.
- Turn off laptop and tv. (best not to have either in your bed. You want to train your body that the bed is for SLEEPING and nothing else)
- If you cannot sleep after 30 minutes - an hour, get up. Otherwise you will just continue to toss and turn and looking at the clock. Get up and do something boring. DO NOT get on the computer, open your phone, or watch tv. The light from these will make your body think it is daytime and wake up. Try to read the dictionary, or an anatomy book. Something that is ridiculously boring. Reading helps you relax, and it makes you focus on small words which can cause sleepiness. Reading something boring...is boring. So it will make you even more tired.
- Try to sleep again within 10-15 minutes. Repeat as necessary.

The whole idea is for your body to get into a habit, as mentioned above. Hope this helped!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Katelina Offline
Country for life
Average Joe

Name: Tina

Re: A few things - August 5th 2012, 03:32 PM

1)Your taking Tylenol daily yes? Well depending on how long you've taken Tylenol, your body could already be immune to its effects. After a period of time your body alters its DNA composition and will start creating enzymes that are similar to that drug. So ultimately you can take Tylenol all day and feel nothing. Your doctor took x-rays of your back, and states there is nothing he can see? Well if the pain is directed to your spine you should be a chiropractor. If it is mostly in your muscles try seeing a trainer. They mostly specialize in the muscles of the human body and could help assist what is wrong.

2)Stress can effect your period, among with other things. You will want to talk to your doctor about it. He will probably recommend being put on birth control to regulate your period.

3) You say you are afraid to go to sleep. You might want to figure out why your not sleeping well first. Try sleeping with the radio on, gives your brain something to focus on until you fall asleep. I personally cannot sleep with the tv on because of the plot of most stories. The action raised plots will keep me up. And I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep to the weather channel. I listen to country music all night long, so pick your favorite station and try that. The human body needs about 7-8 hours of sleep, any more and your body will adjust to that much and will start requiring that many hours of sleep. Try getting into a routine, if you wake up after 2 hours. Don't get out of bed just stay there and try falling back asleep. Set an alarm 7-8 hours after you get into bed. That way your inner clock knows that you will only have that amount of time. If you still cannot sleep try talking to your doctor again, they might put you on some sleeping pills.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: A few things - August 5th 2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelina View Post
I personally cannot sleep with the tv on because of the plot of most stories. The action raised plots will keep me up. And I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep to the weather channel.
Let me clarify. This is true for most people. I should have elaborated by having the tv on. Sometimes I don't want to sleep in the dark, it makes me nervous for various reasons, and I don't like getting out of bed when I'm almost asleep to turn off the light. So I will turn the volume down real low to where I cannot hear any words they are saying, but I can tell they are speaking. This helps me relax as I am comforted by having people around. So this gives me an illusion of people being in another room.

The radio idea is an excellent suggestion, though I'll probably try that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelina View Post
Try getting into a routine, if you wake up after 2 hours. Don't get out of bed just stay there and try falling back asleep.
Definitely try to head back to sleep, but if you keep turning to look at the clock when you wake up, or while trying to go to sleep, you are only going to get more anxious. So then instead of relaxing to go back to sleep, you will be anxiously waiting for the clock to say it's time to get up. This is why many doctors will suggest you try to sleep only 30 minutes to an hour so you do not get anxious looking at the clock. Hop out of bed for ONLY 10-15 minutes. No more. Go to a dimly lit room. Do not turn on a phone, tv, or computer. Read something boring. Then try to sleep again.

Of course, you should always consult your doctor on any issue you are having. They can make more accurate suggestions since they will know your history and they are often times more up-to-date than other people :P

I hope you get things worked out!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Katelina Offline
Country for life
Average Joe

Name: Tina

Re: A few things - August 5th 2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post

Let me clarify. This is true for most people. I should have elaborated by having the tv on. Sometimes I don't want to sleep in the dark, it makes me nervous for various reasons, and I don't like getting out of bed when I'm almost asleep to turn off the light. So I will turn the volume down real low to where I cannot hear any words they are saying, but I can tell they are speaking. This helps me relax as I am comforted by having people around. So this gives me an illusion of people being in another room.

The radio idea is an excellent suggestion, though I'll probably try that!
Ahh that makes more sense, I was like...uhh tv on...yea no way I'd be able
to get any type of sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world View Post

Definitely try to head back to sleep, but if you keep turning to look at the clock when you wake up, or while trying to go to sleep, you are only going to get more anxious. So then instead of relaxing to go back to sleep, you will be anxiously waiting for the clock to say it's time to get up. This is why many doctors will suggest you try to sleep only 30 minutes to an hour so you do not get anxious looking at the clock. Hop out of bed for ONLY 10-15 minutes. No more. Go to a dimly lit room. Do not turn on a phone, tv, or computer. Read something boring. Then try to sleep again.

Of course, you should always consult your doctor on any issue you are having. They can make more accurate suggestions since they will know your history and they are often times more up-to-date than other people :P

I hope you get things worked out!
By boring I suggest Shakespeare. Or a non-fiction book. (Those will knock me out in a heartbeat)

(:

Closed Thread