TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

'You just have to manage your condition' - August 10th 2012, 08:19 PM

I guess I'm feeling pretty pissed off right now. I'd like a diagnosis and some meds that work, please and thank you. (Obviously not asking you guys to diagnose me )

Basically, I get really bad headaches, bowel... issues, severe mood swings, stomach cramps and bouts of insomnia or disturbed sleeping. These are triggered by oh a massive range of things, including gluten, stress, bright, flickering or strip lighting, my period, eating too little, eating too much, not enough exercise, other disturbances in my routine and tiredness. It makes life really difficult, makes going away difficult, makes school hell... And it's just getting worse as I get older.

I've visited a doctor several times and been told to 'take painkillers'. I've visited an opticians and been told to 'wear sunglasses'. I've cut things out of my diet. I've tried to follow a strict routine. And I've been on the pill for the last few months in an attempt to help this. Which isn't working, by the way.

I'm sick of not being able to find anything that helps me manage it. It's so hard to manage because nothing is stable. I'm discovering new triggers regularly. I'm going back to the doctors in the Autumn, but I can't see the point. I've gone loads and got almost nowhere.

What I'm really asking, I guess, is how do other people with conditions they need to manage (as opposed to treat or cure) cope with it? How do you cope with the fact that it's not getting better?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 10th 2012, 08:46 PM

This is going to be a short reply, and I am sorry for that.

But I know several people with diseases which will remain the same or continually get worse all the time. One minute they feel great, and the next they are sobbing in pain.

And one thing they tell me is that it helps them get through it by just continuing to live. If they feel a bit off, they still go outside and enjoy a hike or going into town to shop. Then if they start feeling horrible, they go back home and relax as best they can. But the key for them is to not stop doing things you like or love out of fear. So don't be afraid to do something because you might have an episode. Just do it worry-free. If you get an episode, go home and relax.

Just remind yourself, "I'm so glad I was able to enjoy the weather" or "At least I got those clothes I wanted" or "Yes! I got some things done today that needed done. At least I can relax all day tomorrow".

Hope that helps a little.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 16th 2012, 06:25 PM

I'm considering getting tested for food intolerances properly. I'm struggling at the moment because everything I do gets ruined. i'm also looking into trying different medication. I'm feeling a bit down because I've spent most of the day in the house after discovering what i'm now pretty sure is another trigger. u_u

But your response did help. There's a lot of things that I avoid, but I've been shopping more this summer. Just have to remember to wear sunglasses, take painkillers and drink lots of water.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 24th 2012, 02:40 PM

Maybe try a new BC for your period. I had horrible periods and have been on the pill and my periods are like angels singing So much better.

Yeah, I would get tested for any allergies to food, that then might help.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 29th 2012, 09:29 AM

BC doesn't sit well with me. It worsens my depression and makes me gain weight. I'm coming off it as soon as possible! xD

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 29th 2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Tea.♥ View Post
BC doesn't sit well with me. It worsens my depression and makes me gain weight. I'm coming off it as soon as possible! xD
Odd, I lost weight. You can just stop it and tell your doctor. I was going to do that if it was still bad on a BC and stop taking it and call my doc and tell him to screw the BC .

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: 'You just have to manage your condition' - August 30th 2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie7519 View Post
Odd, I lost weight. You can just stop it and tell your doctor. I was going to do that if it was still bad on a BC and stop taking it and call my doc and tell him to screw the BC .
Yeah, gaining and losing are both side effects and I was unlucky enough to get gaining. u_u But I'm waiting to the end of my packet and then stopping.

Closed Thread