TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Infection? (trig) - August 10th 2012, 10:12 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi

A few things. Bare with me

Firstly, I have a few cuts on my ankle. They're not bad but my ankle is swollen. Its gets a bit itchy but thats it apart from it being quite swollen. Is this something to worry about?

Secondly, I was in A&E a few days ago for cuts on my arm. One was gaping badly and the nurse steri stripped it but it opened up again and now its got puss and its gungy and indcredibly sore and making my arm ache. My mum told me I need to go to the doctors ASAP after she saw it, but I'm scared to and don't know whether too or not.

Relating to my A&E visit, the nurse didn't clean the cut. She did a bad job at closing it and she upset me (her attitude changed towards me when she knew it was self harm and I had mental health problems) My mum wants me to get the cut seen my GP and wants me to report the nurse in A&E. I don't know what to do about any of it.

Advice? Thankyou.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 10th 2012, 10:24 PM

Reporting her is entirely up to you. I know I've had several bad experiences with nurses in Emerg treating me differently because my mental illnesses (and security alerts) that show up when they put my name into the system. Stigma is something me, you, and anyone with any sort of disability faces constantly and if you want to pursue your right to being treated with equal respect and dignity then that's up to you.
I'm not sure about there, but here you can do that by going to the administration desk in the hospital you were a patient in.

As per your cuts, being itchy and sore is part of healing. Pus can mean that your body is fighting an infection, and if there's a large amount then you should bring it to the attention of your doctor.
I would recommend seeing your doctor to have your cut properly cleaned (although this is something you can do yourself), but if it needs to be closed back up he/she might as well do it at the same time.
If you can't get your ankle to go back to a normal size via regular methods (ice, having it raised above your heart) then I would go to the doctor, but if you're going anyways then there's no harm in mentioning it either way.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 11th 2012, 09:39 AM

For the cut that has opened, and isn't healing well, I do think you should visit your doctor. They will be able to clean it properly (which as you already noted, the nurse at A&E should have done), and close it properly - which will aid its healing and lessen the amount of scarring.

I think it might be a good idea to report the nurse, because everybody has the right to fair and impartial treatment (just think about the amount of people that turn up over the weekends with alcohol poisoning - that's clearly self-inflicted but they still get treated) but whether you wish to pursue it is entirely up to you, especially as extra stress is not something you want to be exposing yourself to at this stage, I assume.

For your ankle, I'd do as LeapOfFayth suggested and go through the regular procedures of rest, ice, compression and elevation, and if that doesn't help, see somebody. But if you see somebody about the cut on your arm (which sounds like it needs a little bit more attention), then you can just casually chuck in that your ankle's swollen and itchy and you can get that looked at at the same time.

As for being scared, your GP probably already knows your situation with self-harm and stuff, and based on the fact that your arm is causing you undue discomfort, any advice they can offer you can only be beneficial, as helping it to heal will help you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 11th 2012, 08:32 PM

Hey Jess,

The cuts on your ankle, if they aren't gooey or swollen or hot, they're probably just healing. I know my cuts used to be itchy as hell and I used to have to wear gloves in the night so I didn't tear the stitches in my sleep. Try some antiseptic like Savlon or Sudocrem - it works miracles, no kidding As for the open one, it's up to you if you feel up to going back to see a nurse or your GP. Ideally, I'd say please go, but if you can't face it, I understand. Run some nice warm water or a hot bath, soak them gently, pat it dry - again, verrrryyy gently - then using a cotton ball, apply some strong antiseptic like TCP but do not rub it on. Apply some more Savlon or sudocrem again, and if you have them, steri-strip it at home or use very thin strips of plaster.

Be brave sweetie, you're doing really well.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 11th 2012, 09:47 PM

If it didn't improve after the time sterilized it, cleaned it, and closed it, it is likely infected.
However, it does not necessarily improve right away, and it may continue to get worse even after you patch it up.
If stitched uncleanly while still infected, it will just make it worse really.
If it shows signs of improving, your probably okay.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 11th 2012, 11:06 PM

Soreness comes with healing as there is an increased blood flow to your ankle and a heightened immune response, nothing I'd worry about. It will continue for a short while, hard to say for how long because I don't know the extent of the injury. If it's minor though, then by 1 week, if the swelling hasn't decreased, see your doctor. You may have additional damage that requires more time. If it keeps swelling to the point where mobility is drastically impaired, painful and warm to the touch, then go to the hospital.

As for your arm, it sounds as though the nurse did a poor job so either have someone do it for you (if they're trained) or go to the doctor for that as well.

I'm not going to say whether you should report the nurse or not as that's completely up to you.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Infection? (trig) - August 14th 2012, 01:22 PM

Hi guys.

Thanks for the help. I saw a doctor yesterday and I've been put on Anti-Biotics now

Thanksss.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread