TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
you are perfect to me ❤
Average Joe

Name: Celine
Location: My own little world where the only thing that can hurt me is myself

Asthma??? - August 22nd 2012, 08:57 PM

In March of this year I had a very bad cold that wouldn't go away so I went to the doctor and he said it was just a chest infection so he put me on an antibiotic and a ventalin inhaler. They didn't help. I went back in May, and the doctor said I had asthma so he put me on a steroid inhaler. I went back in June and he said my chest sounded like it was clearing up, however, he put me on the steroid inhaler again. The same for June and for July. However, my girlfriend broke up with shortly after the doctor's visit in July and my lungs seemed to get worse all over again. I'm wheezing non-stop, even when I take my inhalers (the steroid one and the ventalin one), my lungs are constantly vibrating when I breathe in deep and exhale, I also cough a lot and I'm constantly bringing up greenish phlegm. Was the doctor right, is it asthma? Or is it something else?

and in that moment, I swear we were infinite

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Asthma??? - August 23rd 2012, 04:26 PM

Asthma can cause wheezing and coughing, even if just caused by stress.

However, green phlegm is NOT a sign of asthma. This is a sign of an infection which needs cleared up as soon as possible. I do not feel your doctor is looking at all of the symptoms and is just grabbing for whatever he can pass off as the cause.

He needs to do a chest xray to determine if you might have pneumonia or some other infection in your lungs (this would cause the green phlegm). There are other possibilities, but this is the one I would want ruled out first.

You might have asthma, but asthma can also be a symptom of bronchitis, which can cause you to have asthma symptoms. Eventually it can turn into Pneumonia. So ask him if he thinks it could be Bronchitis or Pneumonia since the inhalers are not helping and you are coughing up green phlegm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
you are perfect to me ❤
Average Joe

Name: Celine
Location: My own little world where the only thing that can hurt me is myself

Re: Asthma??? - August 23rd 2012, 06:57 PM

Thank you for replying My doctor doesn't like to listen to anyone so when my mother asked in the last visit about sending me for a chest xray he said "no, there's no need." In each visit he'd pretty much just listen to my lungs and check my lung capacity, print me up a prescription and send me on my way He isn't the nicest of people either However, since then we've moved to a different doctor who apparently is very nice and extremely thorough so hopefully I'll have more luck with her Trouble is my prescription doesn't run out til the end of October

and in that moment, I swear we were infinite

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Asthma??? - August 24th 2012, 03:04 PM

You don't have to finish your prescription before you see the new doctor. Just let her know you are worried and want to be thorough as this has lasted a very long time. Hopefully it turns out it is just asthma and maybe some allergies or something. But it is much better to be safe than to let something go untreated.

Closed Thread