TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cierrar143 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cierra Ilyssa

Red face Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - August 25th 2012, 08:26 AM

Hi. No clue where this should go.

So this is sorta embarrassing. But my hands and feet sweat. ALOT. Mostly my hands. The only time they aren't sweating is when a fan is blowing directly on them. It's so embarassing cause I can't even like high five or hold someone's hand.

So far the only treatment options would be to carry a tiny battery operated fan with me everywhere. (HA!) Or to get numerous Botox shots in my hands. They cost ALOT. And by some of the research on blogs I've done it doesn't work unless you get like a bazillion dollars worth of Botox in your hands. Just wondering if anyone could help? Maybe?

Thanks! Xoxo

"You say you love rain but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun but you seek shade when its shining. You say you love wind but when it comes you close your window. So that's why im scared when you say you love me."

-Bob Marley

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - August 25th 2012, 11:55 AM

Hey!! I don't have this particular problem, but hyperhidrosis has been an issue for me in the past and I know how much it can affect your life. I think this post might be more sympathetic than actually useful, so I'm really sorry, but maybe you could try speaking to your doctor?? I'm sure as well if you look around online you might find a helpful cure, a lot more people suffer from this problem than you think. I've heard of some remedies like using deodorant or talcum powder on your feet, and maybe carrying around a tissue to wipe your hands every so often. Keeping them exposed to the air can also help a lot, so wearing flip-flops or pumps (flats) might be more comfortable on your feet. I'm sorry I can't give better advice but I wish you the best of luck!!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AgentTran Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - August 27th 2012, 05:41 AM

Hi cierrar143!

I also have palmar and plantar hyperhidrosis and I can understand how you feel. I have actually tried Botox for my hands before with the amount people normally get and it has proven effective for me. I got mine done for free at one of the CME events the IHHS hold twice a year and it was AMAZING. I plan on attending the next one in September but as a volunteer instead of a patient this time.

If you live close to the event, it might cost you no more than a car ride. Check out the post they made on 8/16 on their facebook page for more info on how to register.

They also have a page under their Insurance Tools section that has info that can help alleviate the cost of treatment if you decide to do it elsewhere, regardless if you have insurance or not.

Iontophoresis is something that you could look into as well. After my Botox wore off, I decided to give this a try because it was more convenient and it proved to be effective for meas well. You can find out more about this treatment and how you might be able to be reimbursed for an iontophoresis machine over on their site as well (SweatHelp).

From someone who also has HH, I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you find something that works for you!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - August 27th 2012, 01:08 PM

Just want to add that this problem may lessen as you get older - it did for me. It might be better to hold off on permanent treatment like Botox until you've finished with puberty.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cierrar143 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - August 31st 2012, 02:40 AM

Thanks a lot!! I'll be sure to look into the treatment options! And where is the event at?

"You say you love rain but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun but you seek shade when its shining. You say you love wind but when it comes you close your window. So that's why im scared when you say you love me."

-Bob Marley

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AgentTran Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - September 1st 2012, 02:28 AM

No problem at all! The event this September (next week) will be held at the W in Hoboken, NJ. You have to visit their facebook page and call the number in the post I mentioned and register first in order to get treated. Even if you have to fly in for a day and fly back, it will probably be cheaper than paying for the procedure upfront (and much faster than waiting for insurance to reimburse you if you qualify). Plus, who better to treat your hands than a doctor trained by the International Hyperhidrosis Society?

I agree with bitesize about HH possibly lessening with age and I know she means well but, Botox is actually NOT a permanent procedure and the effectiveness varies from person-to-person. I have heard cases where it lasted 8 months and cases where it lasted 3 weeks. For me, it lasted about a month so, as you can see, your milage may vary. Either way, act fast if you are interested because the event is coming up pretty soon!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cierrar143 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - September 2nd 2012, 03:50 AM

Hm. That's about 5 hours away. And I don't drive haha. But thanks a lot! I'll talk to my mom about it and maybe will catch it next year. Thanks!

-Bob Marley

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - September 2nd 2012, 12:11 PM

I also have hyperhidrosis too. I went to see my Dr about this, and it was really helpful, I have been put on a special deodorant called Anhydrol Forte, I put it on at night and it blocks the sweat pores and stops me sweating as much as I do and it works really, literally I can now where any coloured top and shake hands with people, you can put the deodorant on your hands , feet and armpits. It's worked really well for me , ask your Dr about it. They might be able to pre-scribe you some. There's other things that have helped me too such as using a normal deodorant during in the day and applying baby powder/talcum powder to the areas where I sweat a-lot.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
AgentTran Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hyperhidrosis? Anyone? - September 3rd 2012, 12:47 AM

No problem cierrar143! The IHHS actually holds the event twice a year (once during the fall and once during the summer) and the location changes for each event. If your mom has time to do a 5-hour drive (10-hour round trip), I would definitely say go for it. Who knows where the next one will be.

I wish I could drive there within 5-hours! Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to fly in but, from the last event, it seems that many other people do it too. Be sure to subscribe to their SweatSolutions newsletter and check their facebook page as the next event gets closer (usually around June) to find out where it will be held. Again, good luck with your HH and I wish you the best!

Closed Thread