TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jamie Shorrock

Thrombosis - August 25th 2012, 01:01 PM

I was wondering if anyone else might have this particular problem? Because right now I'm shocked I have it. OKay, I'm fourteen, female and have never had any extraordinary stints of illnesses. I was always healthy, minus a few colds but in February this year I started expereriencing headaches, and I mean the worst you could possible have, I was on Morphine the pain was that excruciating and it STILL hurt! This went on for two weeks before some bright spark of a doctor finally scheduled me for an MRI (the only symptoms I had was nausea, vomiting, headaches, stiff neck and photophobia [sensitivity to light]) They scanned my head and that day diagnosed me with an extensive dural sinus thrombosis. The MRI showed significant pressure in my brain and that no fluid was making it through to the right hemisphere of my brain. The clot is quite low and the surrounding areas have now been affected, oms of it is good but most of it isn't good. I am not on Diamox and Waferin (Blood thinners and take 6.5 mg, for a man the usual dose is 5 mg,I startd out on ten, made my way down to eight, stayed there for a bit before they dropped me to 6.5). Because of the blood thinners I am restricted from physical sports, I have taken up jogging to stay fit though but I love my sport, can't live without it. I hate sitting on the side lines, for most of my classmates they wish to have a medical certificate to say that they can't do sport. I hate it and I don't know how to cope with it, it's been freaking 6 months! and next month if it hasn't recantalised (dissolved) I will have to have surgery to suck it out. I need help to deal with this. Any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Thrombosis - August 26th 2012, 11:42 AM

I've not had this myself but one of my friends had it. He had to spend a lot of his time laying on his back to allow for the swelling to go down. I suggest you return to your doctor for some management tips to allow you to live your life as much as possible. You should also ask them about your Warfarin dosage and if it's the correct dosage for you. This will require either a small finger prick blood test or a blood test (depending on the equipment your clinic has). Also, ask your doctor for support groups. You may be able to find someone to talk to who has a better knowledge of Australia's healthcare system and the condition itself. I am so sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. Keep your chin-up. You'll get there eventually.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jamie Shorrock

Re: Thrombosis - August 27th 2012, 05:08 AM

I have blood tests every three weeks or sometimes shorter periods to make sure my INR (the thing which tells you your blood bleeding thing, I'm not entirely sure about how to explain INR) my levels should be from 1.5-3 which tells which dose is fine for me. I am currently on 2.4 which is stable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Thrombosis - August 27th 2012, 01:56 PM

Ah ok. I know a lot about INR rates and levels. No explanation needed. So it's good you're at the correct dose! You may need to go and ask your doctor about support. This is a huge thing to deal with and I'm sure you need someone who's been though it to reassure you or to guide you in how to live a normal life! Sorry I couldn't help more but I hope things get sorted soon ! Xxx

Closed Thread