TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shebby Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Question Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 06:12 AM

So, I've been smoking for about two years now, and my boyfriend smokes too. We've recently decided to quit because we live on our own and it costs a lotttt of money. The thing is, is that I'm quitting before he is, so I have to deal with him still smoking. I've gone from about half a pack a day, to one a day. In addition to the one, I smoke about 3 puffs of almost every cig my boyfriend has. I've tried nicorette gum, but it just makes it worse, and the burn it gives me really sucks. I don't really know what to do, since I have to be around my boyfriend when he's smoking. It just makes the craving worse.
Any advice? :3

She was like the moon; part of her was always hidden.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 06:51 AM

When one of my friends tried to quit she started chewing gum every time she had the urge to smoke try gum

ďIíve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. Iíve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, Iíve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. Iíve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.Ē
- Michael Jordan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  Send a message via Yahoo to Delicious Chaos Send a message via Skype™ to Delicious Chaos 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
JGeek Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 07:41 AM

I didn't smoke for too long and it was easy for me to quit. I just realized there was nothing I like about cigarettes. I used to chew gum, but as turned out the hardest part was to substitute this feeling when you know you need to hold something in your hand. I have started doing some cardistry. That was helpful and fun

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 09:24 AM

What about electronic cigarettes? I've been using them for 4 months now and haven't felt the need to smoke a normal one! They're a lot cheaper too!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 09:58 AM

Hi Shelby!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

To both of you. [Well - you first! But you get the idea!!l haha]

I smoked for over 30 years. I quit a little over two years ago. It wasn't easy. But mostly because it took forever to find something that worked for ME. The cigarettes I smoked were the 'lightest' ones you could buy. [VERY low in nicotine in comparison to other cigarettes] With that in mind - it's no wonder that things like the 'patch' and nicorette didn't work. Like you - those things just made me it worse. In fact - they just me sick to my stomach. And why? Because I was getting a lot less nicotine SMOKING than I was on those stop stopping things. I finally decided that stage three [Or the last stage] of a suckable lozenge ['candy'] might work. And it did. And I only took it when I REALLY wanted to have a cigarette. Those other things just increased the level of nicotine in my body. Not a good plan. I bought the 'generic' brand at a drug store. 2 mg 'size'.

Also.... drink a lot of water. You are literally trying to flush your system of nicotine. And the faster you do it - the easier it will be. You'll always think of smoking - every now and then. I still - sometimes - 'feel' like a smoke. But that's just how it is. So as long as you know that - IT can't have any power over you.

Good luck! And don't allow the occasional 'slip up' to convince you that it's not worth it. It is. AND YOU ARE! So try, try and try again.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 08:26 PM

Hey there,

I've moved this over to Substance Use because I feel it will get more accurate responses there, as cigarette use is a form of substance use.

Trying to quit smoking is tricky. I've tried time and again and I know that the cravings are intense, especially when people around you are still smoking. Have you tried electronic cigarettes? I've been using them lately and they've been a huge help. They might seem more expensive than a pack of cigarettes at first (good brands run about $24), but they're cheaper in the long run. After you get your first pack, you'll only have to pay for refills. There isn't any tobacco in them and they do a pretty good job of satisfying nicotine cravings.

You might also want to consider asking your boyfriend not to smoke around you. Let him know that you're serious about quitting and his smoking is making it harder on you. If you're with him all the time and he feels the need to smoke, maybe you could be the one to walk away for a bit. For example, if he smokes outside, stay inside until he is finished with his cigarette. If you don't put yourself in a position where you will be tempted to smoke, it will make it a lot easier to avoid doing it.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 08:30 PM

When I quit -- I chewed a lot of bubble gum. I still found that I needed to do something with my hands. I would play with a poker chip, stress ball, I even picked up a pipe and just fiddled with it all day.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 10:57 PM

I've moved your topic to the General Health forum because we try to focus on the health aspect of smoking cigarettes. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also I wish you all the best in trying to quit.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 27th 2012, 11:13 PM

I have two things to say on this matter, really.

Firstly, however hard, however difficult it may be, you must always remember why you're trying to stop, and, if necessary, the bad things that will happen if you don't.
Things to help you quit are all very well, but when it comes down to it, it's you who needs to be dedicated.

If you need any more encouragement, here's a (real) story about my dad.

At 9, he and his (5 year older) brother went fishing together.
To keep my dad from telling, his brother gave him a cigarette too when he smoked.

This was not too harmful, until my dad got old enough to buy his own - 16 in those days.
He really started smoking then.
By the time I was born, he smoked around 20-30 a day.
When he got divorced, it went up to about 40 a day, although at one point it was nearer 60 a day (for a couple of years).
A few years ago, he was diagnosed with MS, which affects the nerves. Although not brought on solely by smoking, it doesn't help it at all, AND now he can't stop taking nicotine because the stress of the change will cause his MS to worsen dramatically.
He's trying electronic cigarettes, but can't stop the nicotine altogether very easily without making the MS worse.
So now he gets the option of making himself worse by smoking, or making himself worse by not smoking.
Overall, he's lost his sight, his job, and around £80,000 (that's probably about $100,000, I'm guessing), and made his MS worse.

Try that for a "don't let this happen to you" story.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
shebby Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shelby

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - August 31st 2012, 03:02 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I'll use every tip. (:
And to you, Adam. I'm so sorry about what your dad had to, and is still going through. Best of luck.

She was like the moon; part of her was always hidden.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Sweetheart Helper<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jay

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - September 10th 2012, 10:59 PM

I smoked for a little while and it helps to chew gum

My wrist have cuts and scars, and they tell my story and who i am.
  Send a message via Skype™ to PleaseDontLetMeGo 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
fraid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Cigarettes - any tips on how to quit? - September 13th 2012, 06:02 AM

I didn't smoke for too long and it was easy for me to quit. I just realized there was nothing I like about cigarettes. I used to chew gum, but as turned out the hardest part was to substitute this feeling when you know you need to hold something in your hand. I have started doing some cardistry. That was helpful and fun

Closed Thread