TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

I'm in Pain. - September 2nd 2012, 12:39 PM

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning guys. My laptop is dying so I am going to make this sort. I train weights and sometimes I go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard, doing 100 reps in my last set sometimes. That is great but the soreness and tightness it comes with isn't.

I want to do weights once every two days. If my muscles are this sore and tight on my next weights day, I am going to tear something, so.............

How do I take down the inflammation and tightness and muscle soreness within five days? It is rather painful and can affect my mobility of my arms and shoulders a lot, so yeah, pretty serious sometimes.

H.

I thought going into the spa would help but only made the swelling worse :/.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
escape♥ Offline
Happiness is waiting for you<3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Paula

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 2nd 2012, 01:30 PM

Hey H.
Have you thought about taking a break or just not working quite so hard? I don't think there is a miracle to make your muscles heal or what not in a number of days..but if they really do hurt that much then your probably going to hard. Just, take it easy for a few days and see if that helps.
Oh, and the doctor is always a good idea. <3
I hope I helped.
~paula

If you're looking for a sign not to kill yourself tonight, this is it.
"May the odds be ever in your favour"
"A strong person is one who can smile this morning like they weren't crying last night."
Your never alone, I'm always here for you. Shoot me a VM or PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 2nd 2012, 06:34 PM

If you are in this much pain, you are over doing it. You need to cut down the reps and do it every other day or every two days. Try doing only 75 reps at a time. If that is still too much, 50. Then work your way up.

You won't get anywhere if you have to wait a week+ to workout again due to overworking yourself the first time.

As for your swelling, when you are in this much pain, it usually means swelling/inflammation. NEVER put heat on inflammation. Very very bad. Makes all the blood rush to that area, which causes more swelling.

Ice. Ice. Ice. Lots of it. 15 minutes, off 20, on 15minutes until you see some improvement. Then you can ice every hour for 15 minutes. Once you are feeling better and there is no swelling, heat before exercise for 10-15minutes, then ice after. Ice any time you exercise more than normal. The heat before exercise loosens up your muscles and helps them prepare. The ice then helps with any inflammation from working out.

Take some Ibuprofen (or something similar) for the inflammation and pain.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 2nd 2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood morning guys. My laptop is dying so I am going to make this sort. I train weights and sometimes I go reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally hard, doing 100 reps in my last set sometimes. That is great but the soreness and tightness it comes with isn't.

I want to do weights once every two days. If my muscles are this sore and tight on my next weights day, I am going to tear something, so.............

How do I take down the inflammation and tightness and muscle soreness within five days? It is rather painful and can affect my mobility of my arms and shoulders a lot, so yeah, pretty serious sometimes.

H.

I thought going into the spa would help but only made the swelling worse :/.

I understand what you are going through. Have you been stretching before and after your workouts? If not, I highly suggest that you do stretch before and after your workouts because it can help so much and it will decrease how long you will have the soreness for and the severity. If it's bothering you through out the day, try taking some over the counter anti-inflammatory medication(like tylenol, motrin, advil, aleve, etc.). At night time, right before you are getting ready for bed, try soaking in a hot bath with some epsom salts in it for half an hour or so, until the water is cold and not hot any more. If it is still hurting or it has gotten worser after you have done all of these things, then I suggest that you go see a doctor.

The next time you go and workout, don't over do it, just like what everyone else is saying. It's just going to make everything worser then it already is.

Member Since 1/15/2012

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 2nd 2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanescence ❤ View Post
At night time, right before you are getting ready for bed, try soaking in a hot bath with some epsom salts in it for half an hour or so, until the water is cold and not hot any more.

This is great advice if there is NO swelling, redness, or tenderness to touch. If there is swelling, use ice until it goes down, then start on heat. But until the inflammation (Redness, hot to touch, tender to touch) is gone, I recommend luke-warm baths or showers and ice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 3rd 2012, 07:19 AM

The best would be to give yourself a rest or do fewer reps, perhaps even with a lighter weight. In the meantime, soak in a tub of luke warm water. Inspect the particular areas (or ask someone else) and see if there's anything unusual, such as bruising, odd lumps, swelling and test whether it's painful to lift a light weight. These can all be signs that you tore a muscle either partially or completely, as well as damaged any tendons or ligaments. If that's the case, it's only going to get 100% better in 5 days if you're Superman himself.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Re: I'm in Pain. - September 4th 2012, 10:29 AM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaay, I'm better and back again . It turns out it was just routine soreness, only it was a LITTLE bit worse than normal, which is a good thing in it's own way because it means I worked harder.

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your comments, you guys are awesome. No, actually I don't stretch and yes, I may get into doing that before and after a session .

I wasn't doing 100 reps at the full weight, I was doing two sets of fifteen at 26kgs and then one epic set of one hundred at the end at 12.5, one hundred or until they fail. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obviously I was taking my safety into account when I trained that day, I wasn't doing anything I knew I couldn't do, I take safety pretty seriously.

Aaaaaaaaah, I was wondering why Ice is a must with so many injuries, it is because it stops the sweeling .

I'm not Superman, I'm just that airborne kid next door with the red cape on his back . I didn't think I was going to get five comments LOL .

H.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

Closed Thread